Win the World Series and the stadium will come......... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Win the World Series and the stadium will come.........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Win the World Series and the stadium will come.........

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:58 pm

Marlins, county set to commit $210 million toward new ballpark

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
October 28, 2003
MIAMI (AP) -- The World Series champion Florida Marlins and Miami-Dade County announced a plan Tuesday night to fund $210 million toward a new ballpark that would open in 2007.

The 38,000-seat ballpark, which would have a retractable roof, is projected to cost $325 million, not including land for the new facility. The Marlins will commit $137 million and the county $73 million, which would come from convention development tax proceeds and professional sports franchise facility tax money.

``Obviously that leaves a gap,'' County Mayor Alex Penelas said. ``We don't have answers on how to fill that gap today. I'll be very honest. This is only the beginning, a first step.''

Penelas said it was largely coincidental that Tuesday's announcement was made only about an hour after a daylong South Florida celebration of the Marlins' World Series championship concluded. The county commission will vote on the resolution on Nov. 4; Penelas said the matter had to be made public one week before that meeting to be on the agenda.

``Time was of the essence,'' he said.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig praised the announcement.

``I am extremely pleased and excited that the Florida Marlins have been able to transform their success, both on and off the field, to renewed interest among their fan base and significant movement toward the possibility of building a new ballpark in South Florida,'' he said.

Updated on Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 8:50 pm EST

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:05 pm

good for them .....

I always giggle when I hear Bud talk about the Marlins ... I mean he is related to the owners wife.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby eftda » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:07 pm

Too bad, this could have happened to the A's. i have been to their park, 10 times in the last 3 years, and they NEED a new park...
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:13 pm

eftda wrote:Too bad, this could have happened to the A's. i have been to their park, 10 times in the last 3 years, and they NEED a new park...

you need someone in Seligs family to sleep with the A's owner.... Then in time, it will happen. Just pray they don't get the owners confused and acidentally sleep with Al Davis.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby eftda » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:16 pm

does Bud have family everywhere??
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mad'sWife » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:25 am

wrveres wrote:
eftda wrote:Too bad, this could have happened to the A's. i have been to their park, 10 times in the last 3 years, and they NEED a new park...

you need someone in Seligs family to sleep with the A's owner.... Then in time, it will happen. Just pray they don't get the owners confused and acidentally sleep with Al Davis.

LOL :-D
We either make ourselves happy or miserable.

The amount of work is the same.
Mad'sWife
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers