roto vs pts league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

roto vs pts league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

roto vs pts league

Postby bflan0524 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:46 pm

need some opinions my league members say pts league isnt good bc there is no way to compare pt values for hitting and pitching.
i feel roto pigeonholds you on what you can do
thoughts
bflan0524
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: roto vs pts league

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:33 pm

bflan0524 wrote:need some opinions my league members say pts league isnt good bc there is no way to compare pt values for hitting and pitching.

Why not? Did Excel suddenly stop working? Of course there's a way to compare hitters to pitchers...
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bflan0524 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:37 pm

i guess the ? was how do you compare say the value of a pitcher getting a win and a batter hitting a HR
bflan0524
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby glcmustliveon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:47 pm

what you want is a fair distribution of value between pitchers and hitters. So create a system, plug in this years projections or last years stats, then look at the mean for hitters and pitchers, if you want hitters to = pitchers then adjust accordingly. PM me if you want our scoring system, as we've put in the leg work.

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:49 pm

bflan0524 wrote:i guess the ? was how do you compare say the value of a pitcher getting a win and a batter hitting a HR

Ahh... You can't, but that's okay because you don't need to. Create a system for hitters independent of a system for pitchers. Then compare the two in aggregate and on average. Make tweaks to one or both of the systems to bring the average in line, and you're good to go.

The key to a balanced point system is to have pitchers - in total and on average - equal to hitters. If you do that, teams will not be forced to pursue a victory strategy via one or the other. Of course, that doesn't solve the dilemma of how to value events, but that argument is theoretical and based on personal preference.

Myself, I prefer to model my hitters after Mendoza's system that uses sabermetric values for hitters. Unfortunately, there's no similar system I've found that values events for pitchers, but having one side of the equation balanced for you makes your job that much easier.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:50 pm

glcmustliveon wrote:what you want is a fair distribution of value between pitchers and hitters. So create a system, plug in this years projections or last years stats, then look at the mean for hitters and pitchers, if you want hitters to = pitchers then adjust accordingly. PM me if you want our scoring system, as we've put in the leg work.

This sums up my post, but I would like to make recommendation about this. I advise using 3 or more years of historical data to avoid aberrations in the data.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Commissioner's Corner