Make Your Case: Jason Bay vs. Matt Holliday - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Make Your Case: Jason Bay vs. Matt Holliday

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:01 am

RJ24VC15 wrote:I'd rather Bay, I think he is undervalued a bit, where Holliday is a little overvalued.

So we are back to square one eh :-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:08 pm

This reminds me of early last season when I traded Holliday straight up for Bay just before Bay had that explosive surge, but felt that this deal could level off by the end of the season...surely, it did.

I think statistically, Bay and Holliday could wind up being the same player, but the approaches at the plate are a bit different. As noted before, Bay takes his share of walks whereas Holliday had shown signs as a hacker, but the contact rate for Holliday was exceptional. Holliday projects to be a for-average hitter, with a .330 BA being on the high end, but I'd safely put him down for .300. In a debate such as this where one has the edge in valuation based on BA, puts a case of valuation in flux. I don't believe either has peaked.

I believe the case of differentiation in lineup protection is marginal. Obviously if Bay hits 5th and behind Laroche, his valuation takes a bit of a dip, but Holliday gets a slight nod in lineup protection mostly because of the promise of the likes of Helton, Tulowitzki, and Hawpe behind him.

If I had to choose one, I'd say Holliday by a nose, but wouldn't be surprised at the least bit if they both are statistically similar.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:05 pm

RynMan wrote:
mak1277 wrote:3) Protection - If Bay hits 5th for the Pirates, then he won't really benefit from the LaRoche acquisition. If LaRoche hits behind him though, I think a bump in stats is going to be the result.

Bay hitting 5th? Who is hitting 3 then?

Right now, the "genius" Jim Tracy plans on this batting order:

Duffy
J. Wilson (:-t)
Sanchez
LaRoche
Bay
Nady
Paulino
Castillo
Pitcher

Apparently he believes in Jack Wilson's ability to hit .300 again...something I do not aspire to. That moves Bay down to 5th. Why he'd want to limit Bay's AB's during the year completely dumbfounds me. I would much rather have Freddy batting 2nd with Bay in the 3 hole followed by LaRoche. It would protect Bay and LaRoche and generate plenty of AB's for our best hitters.

But what do I know...I'm just a Pirates fan...not that I could run the team better than Dave Littlefield or Tracy... :-?
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:21 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:But what do I know...I'm just a Pirates fan...not that I could run the team better than Dave Littlefield or Tracy... :-?

Actually having a pulse and brain waves qualifies you to run the team better than Littlefield and Tracy. I'm not saying their incompetent but the track record doesn't look very good.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby josebach » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:38 pm

I've got to go with Holliday. BA was the deciding factor.

For the H2H guys... 15 out of 27 games in September are home games including all 6 games the first week of the fantasy playoffs (9/3-9/9). In addition, the remaining 3 weeks of the playoffs all have at least one home series.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:40 pm

josebach wrote: In addition, the remaining 3 weeks of the playoffs all have at least one home series.

That's great info. I always check these things before the draft.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby theBigHouse » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:39 am

josebach wrote:I've got to go with Holliday. BA was the deciding factor.

For the H2H guys... 15 out of 27 games in September are home games including all 6 games the first week of the fantasy playoffs (9/3-9/9). In addition, the remaining 3 weeks of the playoffs all have at least one home series.

Thanks! I've had Holliday one slot ahead of Bay in my rankings for a while now but reading this thread had me up in the air again. However, your post just convinced me to leave things as they are...

(I'm in a H2H OPS league)
theBigHouse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:18 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:But what do I know...I'm just a Pirates fan...not that I could run the team better than Dave Littlefield or Tracy... :-?

Actually having a pulse and brain waves qualifies you to run the team better than Littlefield and Tracy. I'm not saying their incompetent but the track record doesn't look very good.

:-b
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:29 am

My vote is Holliday. I just don't see Bay stealing enough to give him the edge and I think that lineup is still going to be below average.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:36 am

RJ24VC15 wrote:I'd rather Bay, I think he is undervalued a bit, where Holliday is a little overvalued.

I was thinking this too. I had Bay last year and was a little bit frustrated early on but I think that he should be available quite a bit cheaper (or later...) than Holliday. Since I suspect that they will end up pretty close, cheaper = better to me.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers