Kaz Matsui is "officially" a free agent. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kaz Matsui is "officially" a free agent.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kaz Matsui is "officially" a free agent.

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:32 pm

I already posted this in the Free Agent Watch, but figured some people might like to discuss it:

Seibu Lions shortstop Matsui declares free agency

October 28, 2003
TOKYO (AP) -- Seibu Lions shortstop Kazuo Matsui became a free agent Tuesday.

Matsui is expected to attract interest from several major league teams, but he has not yet said if he wants to leave Japan. It is not known if he has selected an agent.

``I would like to be more than once, more than twice the player that I am now,'' Matsui said. ``That's why I have declared my free agency.''

He will be on the Japanese team that plays in the Asian Olympic qualifying tournament that starts Friday and runs through Nov. 7.

Matsui, 27, hit .305 with 33 homers and 84 RBIs this season for the Lions. He is not related to outfielder Hideki Matsui, who just completed his first season with the New York Yankees after leaving the Yomiuri Giants.

Updated on Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 3:46 pm EST

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:34 pm

I saw that this morning, but ever since Matsui became a bust (50 hr to.. like 20), i doubt every Japanese Player transfer. I wont be drafting this guy
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:42 pm

Matsui was no bust. The only dissappointment was the HR numbers. Other than that, he was solid, drove in 100 and played great defense.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:47 pm

blankman wrote:Matsui was no bust. The only dissappointment was the HR numbers. Other than that, he was solid, drove in 100 and played great defense.

Agreed, and I think the power numbers will show up next year. Say, in the 35 maybe 40 range.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mightyian5 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:51 pm

i shant be drafting him either. i just dunno.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:56 pm

Madison wrote:
blankman wrote:Matsui was no bust. The only dissappointment was the HR numbers. Other than that, he was solid, drove in 100 and played great defense.

Agreed, and I think the power numbers will show up next year. Say, in the 35 maybe 40 range.

I'll be happy with 30 as long as he continues to get RBI's with a good average ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:01 pm

Well if he plays second, he could be huge. SS not so much. IMO
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby eftda » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:03 pm

how many teams need a good ss?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:21 am

eftda wrote:I saw that this morning, but ever since Matsui became a bust (50 hr to.. like 20), i doubt every Japanese Player transfer. I wont be drafting this guy

Bust? He was the best rookie this year in al. And if anyone expected anywhere close to 50 hrs, send me a check, i have some prime real estate for you. Remember, the parks in Japan are smaller then ours. Matsui had a 786 ops, not great, but not a bum either. Ichiro won mvp with a 838 ops. Matsui didnt do bad for his rookie year in the toughest place to play, NY. His 16 hrs was lower then i projected (25), but next year is a new chance.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby eftda » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:27 am

HOOTIE wrote:
eftda wrote:I saw that this morning, but ever since Matsui became a bust (50 hr to.. like 20), i doubt every Japanese Player transfer. I wont be drafting this guy

Bust? He was the best rookie this year in al. And if anyone expected anywhere close to 50 hrs, send me a check, i have some prime real estate for you. Remember, the parks in Japan are smaller then ours. Matsui had a 786 ops, not great, but not a bum either. Ichiro won mvp with a 838 ops. Matsui didnt do bad for his rookie year in the toughest place to play, NY. His 16 hrs was lower then i projected (25), but next year is a new chance.

its not fair to rate him as a rookie. Hes like 30.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers