Scott Rolen (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Scott Rolen (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scott Rolen (Merged)

Postby kemper5 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:51 pm

Not sure how many of you saw Scott's quotes the other day, but I found it very very encouraging. I totally think he will be back to his normal .295+ ave, 25-28+ HR, 100+ RBI,90 + Run season. Here is what he said..

Cardinals 3B Scott Rolen said his left shoulder, which was operated on twice in 2005, is much stronger this offseason than it was a year ago. "I'm a different person, health-wise," he said. "I'm doing my old routine. I'm totally free of any limitations."
(Updated 01/25/2007).

to extend on that, he also said on MLB.com that he's working out and lifting as heavy and as long as he wants with no pain what so ever and has no limitations like he did last year when he went 22HR, 95 RBI, .296 ave, 7 SB's, 95 Runs and that WAS with limitation.. 8-o , to think now he's healthy again what he may do behind King Albert 8-o 8-o
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Scott Rolen..No limitations, Back to being a force?

Postby kemper5 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:58 pm

Saw this quote on Rolen from a few days ago, it's very encouraging.

Cardinals 3B Scott Rolen said his left shoulder, which was operated on twice in 2005, is much stronger this offseason than it was a year ago. "I'm a different person, health-wise," he said. "I'm doing my old routine. I'm totally free of any limitations."
(Updated 01/25/2007).

To extend on that, he also said on MLB.com that he's working out with weights for as long as he wants and as heavy as he wants with no limitations at all..May he return to what he did 2002,2003,2004? I think he may.. To think WITH limitations in 2006 he went .296, 22 HR, 95 RBI, 94 Runs and 7 Bags and that was at what 75-85%..Boy I like him this year behind King Albert ;-D ..
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:02 pm

He has always been an injury risk. I think a repeat of 06 is more reasonable than not at this point.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:03 pm

These positive reports create a lot of buzz, but rarely end up meaning anything. Maybe a slight boost in #'s, but don't expect monster stats.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Area51's » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:04 pm

could be, but I'd watch as much of him as I could before buying. Last year he retained hitting skills--he'd wait for his pitch, good discipline, and make good contact--but just didn't seem to have the blow-away power, even for doubles anymore. I'm not sure if he'll ever be back to 35+ HR power, but 30 hr and 40 doubles w/ Albert always on base would produce a strong season.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:18 pm

I think he'll be a top 10 3B this year.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Scott Rolen..No limitations, Back to being a force?

Postby kemper5 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:32 pm

cordscords wrote:These positive reports create a lot of buzz, but rarely end up meaning anything. Maybe a slight boost in #'s, but don't expect monster stats.

A 25 HR, 105 RBI, 100 Run, .305 Ave Season..That would be nugging his last year #'s ever so slightly by 3 HR, 10 RBI, 3 Runs and 9 points in ave.. Something along those lines?
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:23 pm

The problem with Rolen is that he's never really healthy and despite what he says I seriously doubt he ever will be. Even when he's successful he's overcoming some ailment or another. Rolen could have a .300/30/100/100 season and it wouldn't really surprise me but it's certainly not worth paying for. If you can get him cheap than he's a great upside player but Rolen is a name. As we get closer to the opening day and more reports circulate concerning "how healthy he is" his perceived value will rise dramatically and make him a bad investment IMHO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby zevon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:14 pm

I love the guy, but the comments about him never really being healthy are spot on.
I recall him saying one reason he wanted out of Philly was because of chronic back problems that were being worsened by playing on turf.
Haven't heard much about it since he left, but that kind of thing can lead to the tweak injuries he's often prone to.
I would love to see him go through a season at 100%, Top 5 at that point.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates