Pirates decline option on Reese - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Pittsburgh Pirates

Pirates decline option on Reese

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mad'sWife » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:48 am

10/27/2003 3:55 PM ET
By Ed Eagle / MLB.com

Second baseman Pokey Reese's contract option was not picked up by the Pirates. (Gene J. Puskar/AP)

Gold Glove second baseman Pokey Reese's tenure with the Pittsburgh Pirates has come to an end, as the team has decided not to exercise his $5 million club option for the 2004 season.
"We have made the decision that we are not going to pick up his option," said Pirates GM Dave Littlefield. "He's a free agent after the World Series."

Reese, signed as a free agent on Jan. 29, 2002, appeared in 156 games as Pittsburgh's starting second basemen during the last two seasons, batting .252 with five home runs and 62 RBIs. However, he hit just .215 in 37 games in 2003 before being sidelined for the season with a torn ligament in his left thumb on May 13.

The loss of Reese leaves the team without an experienced replacement at second base.

"We'll have to evaluate this as to where we are at in the middle infield," said Littlefield. "But at this point in time, we're going to look around the industry and look internally as to what we are going to be doing."

The top internal candidates to replace Reese are Freddy Sanchez and Bobby Hill, a pair of prospects with limited Major League experience. Both were acquired in trades last season.

Sanchez, 25, hit .341 with five home runs in 211 at-bats at Triple-A Pawtucket before being acquired from the Red Sox on July 31 as part of a deal that sent starter Jeff Suppan to Boston. He appeared in just one game with Triple-A Nashville before being sidelined for the season with tendinitis in his right ankle. Sanchez has hit .220 in 32 big-league games.

Hill, 25, was the player to be named later in the July 22 deal that sent Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton to the Chicago Cubs. Hill batted .269 with seven home runs and 44 RBIs at Triple-A despite lingering back problems that would sideline him in September after he had appeared in only one game with the Pirates. In 64 career Major League games, Hill has batted .254 with four home runs and 20 RBIs.

We either make ourselves happy or miserable.

The amount of work is the same.
Mad'sWife
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:02 pm

Thanks for the update! ;-D Another availiable 2B.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby harmsway01 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:05 pm

As stated in the article, it looks like the starting job will be between Freddy Sanchez and Bobby Hill. Both look to be nice prospects that will only get better with MLB experience.
Thats my take...
Zack

harmsway01
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:14 pm

harmsway01 wrote:As stated in the article, it looks like the starting job will be between Freddy Sanchez and Bobby Hill. Both look to be nice prospects that will only get better with MLB experience.

I have hill in a deep keeper league. I truly hope PIT gives a ligit shot. Actually I'd like to see Hill win it outright. .....

I agree Mad... even more 2B options out there now ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:08 am

wrveres wrote:I agree Mad... even more 2B options out there now ..

They seem to be coming out of the woodwork this year. 8-o Everywhere you turn is another availiable 2B. I think it will hurt Castillo's chance at a huge payday. He will still get a good contract, but it won't be anything outrageous. Even Iguchi is thinking about coming over from Japan. 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:11 am

Madison wrote:

They seem to be coming out of the woodwork this year. 8-o Everywhere you turn is another availiable 2B. I think it will hurt Castillo's chance at a huge payday. He will still get a good contract, but it won't be anything outrageous. Even Iguchi is thinking about coming over from Japan. 8-o

I agree, this 2B o'plenty that we are now looking at will hurt Luis, I can hear the collusion cry already ... :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:24 am

wrveres wrote:
Madison wrote:

I agree, this 2B o'plenty that we are now looking at will hurt Luis, I can hear the collusion cry already ... :-)

Glad to see that you finally agree. :-) I said it yesterday or the day before and you said, yes, but Castillo is the best one out there. I agreed and still do, but this will certainly hurt his contract. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:31 am

:~( I'm only human :~(
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:34 am

wrveres wrote::~( I'm only human :~(

Lmao! :-b I have to give you a hard time once in awhile, don't I? :-D Especially when I'm right. :-D LMAO! :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:45 am

Madison wrote:
wrveres wrote::~( I'm only human :~(

Lmao! :-b I have to give you a hard time once in awhile, don't I? :-D Especially when I'm right. :-D LMAO! :-b

LMAO...................
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Pirates