How about this juicy little Gammons nugget - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How about this juicy little Gammons nugget

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:22 am

Madison wrote:
Anonymous wrote:They can't move Boone to 2nd base because they still need a leadoff hitter and I don't know of any leadoff third basemen.

Why can't a 3B leadoff? I've never seen a rule that stated no 3B can bat leadoff.

Bill Mueller leadoff for awhile this year. Didnt Boggs and Bill Madlock leadoff at some point?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:11 am

i just thought of something the astros may not sign wagner and hildago when they become free agents hmm a trade with yanks for sorniano could be possible and maybe even even astros thrown in ensberg.
Trade would be wagner ensberg or hildago for sorniano or nick johnson, jeff waever or prospects with sorniano.

i know i spelled the names wrong

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:16 am

astros could also move biggo into the trades 2 with sorniano which give yanks lead off man.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:47 am

Anonymous wrote:i just thought of something the astros may not sign wagner and hildago when they become free agents hmm a trade with yanks for sorniano could be possible and maybe even even astros thrown in ensberg.
Trade would be wagner ensberg or hildago for sorniano or nick johnson, jeff waever or prospects with sorniano.

i know i spelled the names wrong

Well, since the Astros have Kent at 2B, I guess you are thinking that the Astros would move Soriano to the OF?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:21 am

Transmogrifier wrote:Gammons said on BBTN that NY's goals this offseason are:

Trade Johnson for a thirdbaseman, so Giambi can play first and Bernie can DH.

Move Boone to Second.

Move Soriano to Center

Sign Vlad or Sheff for right field.

But what gets me is that they they would have to sign Pettite, plus a couple more starters, plus get bullpen help. THat's a lot to do, wouldn't you say?

I would like to see them to that. Those all seem like bad ideas besides "Sign Vlad"

Giambi should DH. He is horrible in the field. Johnson isn't a bad hitter and he is a good defensive 1B. Move Matsui to CF, his natural position, Soriano and Bernie to the corner OF. And move Jeter to leadoff. Sign Pettitte and concentrate on SP, bullpen and finding a 3rd or 2nd baseman in offseason.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:Trade would be wagner ensberg or hildago for sorniano or nick johnson, jeff waever or prospects with sorniano.

In your dreams buddy.

Why would the Yankees trade one of their best two young players for an older Wagner, who's only a year away from free agency? Soriano's value at this team is Beltran level in my opinion and Wagner is not worth him, especially since he would only be a setup man, when they already have White who pitched well for them as the lefty out of the pen.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mightyian5 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:25 pm

i bet whites gone.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:29 pm

blankman wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Trade would be wagner ensberg or hildago for sorniano or nick johnson, jeff waever or prospects with sorniano.

In your dreams buddy.

Why would the Yankees trade one of their best two young players for an older Wagner, who's only a year away from free agency? Soriano's value at this team is Beltran level in my opinion and Wagner is not worth him, especially since he would only be a setup man, when they already have White who pitched well for them as the lefty out of the pen.

i had the same thoughts
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:26 am

HOOTIE wrote:
blankman wrote:I'd like to see Vlad in RF, Beltran in CF- acquired in a deal with Soriano, Godzilla in LF, Boone at 2B, anyone at 3B, Giambi at 1B, Pettite resigned and Hawkins signed to help out the bullpen. :-D

And NY fans think the systems fair? What a list.

Who said it was fair? Maybe it is and maybe it isn't but what they do is within their rights at the present time. I suppose that it would also be fair for them to dump tens of millions of dollars into the pockets of tightwad owners only to have them stick the money into their pockets rather than their teams?

Madison wrote:
Anonymous wrote:They can't move Boone to 2nd base because they still need a leadoff hitter and I don't know of any leadoff third basemen.

Why can't a 3B leadoff? I've never seen a rule that stated no 3B can bat leadoff.

I think that he was saying, and I must agree with him, that there are more leadoff 2B types out there rather than 3B.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:30 am

Lofunzo wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
blankman wrote:I'd like to see Vlad in RF, Beltran in CF- acquired in a deal with Soriano, Godzilla in LF, Boone at 2B, anyone at 3B, Giambi at 1B, Pettite resigned and Hawkins signed to help out the bullpen. :-D

And NY fans think the systems fair? What a list.

Who said it was fair? Maybe it is and maybe it isn't but what they do is within their rights at the present time. I suppose that it would also be fair for them to dump tens of millions of dollars into the pockets of tightwad owners only to have them stick the money into their pockets rather than their teams?

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

Fair is a very subjective term (the Yankees don't break any rules)but the fact is that most teams can't go out and acquire all of those players. In fact most teams are lucky to hold onto their own players who are free agents.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers