Here's a real challenge... What ever happened to David Beck? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Here's a real challenge... What ever happened to David Beck?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Here's a real challenge... What ever happened to David B

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:25 am

:-?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby bigken117 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:40 pm

this thread is all that's good and all that's bad with the internet. Let's just say that if these people were indeed hoaxes, they've gone through great pains in signing up to hide it :-b

I went and checked IMDB to see if he'd be in the Moneyball movie and he isn't :-/ but Royce Clayton is playing Miguel Tejada, and for some reason that just made my day :-b

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby JMB05 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:54 pm

daullaz wrote:Two things ...

1. Best. Thread. Ever.

2. We're taking 10-to-1 odds that JMB05 is David Beck. The odds would be better if his username wasn't clearly his initials. :-D

BWAHAHAHAHHAHA, that made my day. I wish I was David Beck.

This seriously has me laughing. I agree, best thread ever.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby camobmus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:34 pm

kristybeck wrote:after reading the comments in this forum, i found it pretty comical how people that actually know or knew david beck are getting attacked as if they really do not know him. i was married to david beck back in the days when he actually played. there were no "mental issues" involving his resignation from the game i assure you. the decision that he made to retire was the best one he felt he could make at the time. he was not let go or forced to leave the team. he was a great pitcher and loved playing the game. people come to this forum to find out what ever happened to david beck..duh. so naturally people are going to write in if they know what ever happened to him..duh.

Pretty amazing to read your posts here, thanks for that.

I've got two questions:

1. Is there any video out there of your husband's pitching motion and delivery? I'm a big Moneyball fan, and the description of his windup was fascinating. If you or he could put something up on YouTube, that would be phenomenal. I've always wanted to see why he was called "The Creature."

2. What was the overall reason he decided to hang up the cleats? I'm also an A's fan and really would have loved to see him play.
camobmus
T-Ball Trainer

Postby kristybeck » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:29 pm

wow "a flesh", u really need to get a life, i was not aware that my words here were gonna be professionally edited. i assumed people would be able to understand this without my capitilizing, i was wrong. sorry to make u work your brain so hard. trying to make cute comments usually ends up making u look stupid, as demonstrated. just trying to help u out and keep u from making another a** of yourself in the future. now... as for the questions asked to me, i am davids ex-wife. we were married years ago when he did actually play. as for what he is doing now, i have no idea. im happy to answer any general questions but i will not answer any personal questions only because i feel like that is his decision as far as what he wants known. thanks for the welcome guys.
kristybeck
T-Ball Trainer

Postby ayebatter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:14 am

Add a few sound effects and that was worthy of a Jim Rome like rant, well done. :-b
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Is Liz Beck and Kristy Beck the same poster? I smell a situation.

MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby DBeck78 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:01 am

Wow, I remember when my wife told me about this site years ago. I had no idea it was still going. I should Google myself more frequently I guess, haha.

Well, to answer the question of what ever happened to me...

I got hurt while pitching for the for Modesto, the A's A-ball team, in 2002. I decided to undergo an experimental surgery, which has now been outlawed in 46 states and Washington D.C., called Johnny Tom. Rather than replace the UCL with a tendon from the leg, as in Tommy John surgery, Johnny Tom removes the entire arm, and surgically reattaches a leg onto the shoulder, then swapping the now missing leg with the dismembered arm. The surgery itself was actually a smashing success. The leg graft healed perfectly and I was throwing at pre-injury velocity within nine months of the procedure. Unfortunately, no major league team was willing to sign a man with a leg where his arm should be, and vice versa. (I am currently awaiting a Supreme Court ruling on a discrimination lawsuit that I have filed against Major League Baseball). Anyway, that is how I got the nick-name "The Creature."

I signed with the Myanmar Clam Snakes of the semi-professional Burmese National League in 2004, but retired midway through the season. Though my arm (leg) felt great, I was no longer able to find the grip on my split finger pitch that I had been so successful with in college and the pros. Though there are obviously some things that I would have liked to have done differently in my career, I enjoyed every moment of it. I still love the game and live just outside of Miami, working as an insurance salesman, and attend Marlins games every now and again.

As for my alleged mental health issues, I can assure you that I am perfectly sane and happy. My lovely wife Liz and I have three beautiful girls, the oldest of which is turning 8 this year. My biggest regret about the surgery is that I am now frequently called for handballs whenever I play soccer.

I hope this clears things up, and I'll try to check back and answer any other questions. I appreciate the support from anyone who was a fan of mine when I was playing.

-David Beck
DBeck78
T-Ball Trainer

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 09, 2012 3:39 am

Hi David ;-D

DBeck78 wrote:I signed with the Myanmar Clam Snakes of the semi-professional Burmese National League in 2004,

Wow really?
I played LF for the Eastern Rhodesia Goat Herders in 2006. 5-12 baby!
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Inukchuk » Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 am

DBeck78 wrote:I signed with the Myanmar Clam Snakes of the semi-professional Burmese National League in 2004,

I will pay any sum of money for a hat from that team.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers