Here's a real challenge... What ever happened to David Beck? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Here's a real challenge... What ever happened to David Beck?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Here's a real challenge... What ever happened to David Beck?

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I wasn't making an attempt at humor. Just telling stories about David Beck, at least the David Beck that I know. He also owns an arsenal of assault rifles that is hard to believe. At some point in the mid-1990s he was convinced that the government was going to outlaw a bunch of classes of guns, so he started snatching them up. At one point he had a couple hundred fire arms ranging from small handguns to .50 cals. He was involved in a road-rage incident once where both he and the other guy pulled semi-automatic guns out and pointed them at eachother before realizing that it was basically mutually-assured destruction and going about their separate ways. He also threatened a neighbor who had young kids by saying he was going to rent a spare room in his house to a convicted sex offender and once poisoned food in a cabin he owned because he thought his neighbors were breaking in and taking food while he was gone. He's pretty much a despicable human being.

Does he drink Dos Equis?
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:13 pm

thejusman1 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I wasn't making an attempt at humor. Just telling stories about David Beck, at least the David Beck that I know. He also owns an arsenal of assault rifles that is hard to believe. At some point in the mid-1990s he was convinced that the government was going to outlaw a bunch of classes of guns, so he started snatching them up. At one point he had a couple hundred fire arms ranging from small handguns to .50 cals. He was involved in a road-rage incident once where both he and the other guy pulled semi-automatic guns out and pointed them at eachother before realizing that it was basically mutually-assured destruction and going about their separate ways. He also threatened a neighbor who had young kids by saying he was going to rent a spare room in his house to a convicted sex offender and once poisoned food in a cabin he owned because he thought his neighbors were breaking in and taking food while he was gone. He's pretty much a despicable human being.

Does he drink Dos Equis?

When he does drink...
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:49 pm

I think you're actually referring to Rod Beck.... completely different person.. :-b
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby DJBurnside » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:04 pm

It's funny I stumbled across this thread. I played college ball with Dave Beck. I believe they called him "the creature" because he had some unique mechanics when he threw. He was tall and lanky. We never called him "the creature" in college, we just called him "Lefty". As for the "mental" issues, he did do some odd things at times (chewing on rocks while he pitched is one "tame" example I'll give) but he wasn't unstable or anything like that. He was a good guy and a fierce competitor. I think he was from Ohio.
DJBurnside
T-Ball Trainer

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:09 pm

Okay, that's it. Unless someone's bumping this thread because they found a list of all the MLB players who hit 3 home runs in a game, or they found something the Cubs are not interested in, I don't want to hear it.

ImageImage
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Broncmet724 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:17 pm

I think Matt Riley once hit 3 home runs in a game (and he struck himself out too, but since he's Matt Riley he got 4 Ks instead of 3)
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm surprised that the Cubs weren't interested and the Mets didn't sign him to a 3 year contract
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Re: Here's a real challenge... What ever happened to David B

Postby leftydad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 pm

I had the honor of playing with Dave Beck last year in a company golf outing with his company. Not sure what you mean by mental issues but I can assure you he was as sane as you and I. Not sure what any of you might know about pitchers in either the minor or major leagues but they are very focused and fierce competitors. That is why they have spent tens of thousands of hours refining their craft. This hard work is what gives viewers like you and I such enjoyment watching premier pitchers work. Dave was kind enough to extend his help in whatever way he could to help with contacts for my left-handed son. One thing I do know is Liz you are a saint even living with a pitcher, especially a left handed one....haha. Dave was working in Ohio with that company last I knew and I know that he has gone onto other opportunities and I would like for either Liz or him to contact me. Again, Dave thank you for you short friendship as well as knowing a great human being that left the craziness of baseball and did a great job of going into the everyday workforce to provide for his family.
leftydad
T-Ball Trainer

Postby thedude » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Ok, whose run on joke is it to bump this thread every 5 months?

Or is it that every five months another person who knows David Beck googles "David Beck Moneyball" and decides to post?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby leftydad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Wow and you have a problem with this if someone does google Dave Beck and decides to post? Do you even know what the internet is for other than Trolls like you that like to post negative comments? Breathe deep, it will all pass.
leftydad
T-Ball Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers