Little got the news this morning - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Little got the news this morning

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:14 pm

nsulham wrote:Just for clarification Mad, the Manuel Boston is considering is Charlie who managed the Indians, not Jerry who screwed up the White Sox.

Uh.....We need a smiley that has egg on his face. My mistake, and thank you for pointing it out. ;-D

*Walking away feeling really stupid right now..........
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:49 pm

What? They fired Little? On the list of shocking events during my lifetime, this one ranks somewhere between the failure of "Cop Rock" and Carnie Wilson getting so fat that she needed an operation.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:32 am

Madison wrote:
nsulham wrote:Just for clarification Mad, the Manuel Boston is considering is Charlie who managed the Indians, not Jerry who screwed up the White Sox.

Uh.....We need a smiley that has egg on his face. My mistake, and thank you for pointing it out. ;-D

*Walking away feeling really stupid right now..........

Both are now being considered, but I was refering to Charlie, and his relationship to Manny.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jdh » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:02 pm

Does Remy have any managerial experience? If not, hiring him as a manager could be an ugly mistake. The last time a broadcaster with no management experience was hired was when Buck Martinez was hired as the Jays manager, and that was a total debacle.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:52 pm

jdh wrote:Does Remy have any managerial experience? If not, hiring him as a manager could be an ugly mistake. The last time a broadcaster with no management experience was hired was when Buck Martinez was hired as the Jays manager, and that was a total debacle.

No, he doesn't. It won't happen, don't worry. They're looking for an up-and-coming Mike Sciossa--someone with great respect in the clubhouse that knows how to manage games. There is even talk about having "game situation" questions in interviews--you know, who to bring in, things like that.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby nsulham » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:09 pm

I'm personally enjoying the idea of bringing in Glen Hoffman (who?) but here's the kicker: with Tommy Lasorda as his bench coach, WHICH Lasorda has said he would be willing to do.

Tommy Lasorda would take over Don Zimmer's place as the coveted "Most Entertaining Bench Coach in Major League Baseball"

With Lasorda as bench coach the hijinx might never end. Good times.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:12 pm

jdh wrote:Does Remy have any managerial experience? If not, hiring him as a manager could be an ugly mistake. The last time a broadcaster with no management experience was hired was when Buck Martinez was hired as the Jays manager, and that was a total debacle.

welcome back
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby wrveres » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:02 am

Sox unlikely for Bochy
Several Padres staffers followed executive Larry Lucchino to the Red Sox, including Boston's current GM, Theo Epstein. Bochy probably isn't likely to join the list, though Lucchino/Epstein need a manager to succeed Grady Little, fired on Monday. Padres ownership isn't itching to do Lucchino any favors and could ask for compensation, given that Bochy's pact runs through 2005. Bochy might find it awkward to succeed Little, a friend

you cannot have them all .... nice try though. Wonder if San Diego picks up Grady, I hope so.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:45 am

Little might end up in Baltimore:

Mazzilli interviews for Orioles' job; Little next

By DAVID GINSBURG, AP Sports Writer
October 30, 2003

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Lee Mazzilli interviewed Thursday to be manager of the Baltimore Orioles, and Grady Little is up next.

Mazzilli, the New York Yankees' first base coach, became the seventh person to interview for the post that opened when the Orioles fired manager Mike Hargrove on Sept. 29.

``This is something I've wanted for a very long time,'' Mazzilli said. ``You put your apprenticeship in, you pay your dues. Now is the time to do it.''

Little, dismissed as manager of the Boston Red Sox this week, is to meet with Orioles vice presidents Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan on Friday.

Mazzilli has never managed a big league team; Little won more than 90 games in each of his two seasons with Boston. They do, however, have this much in common: They would love the chance to beat the Yankees as manager of the Orioles.

``I built a bond with the players,'' Mazzilli said. ``But when you're leaving a team and exploring a goal that you've always wanted to do, that doesn't play into it. You're out to win.''

Even at the expense of the man who hired him, New York manager Joe Torre.

``Joe has been a big influence on my life, on and off the field. He's really taught me a lot about the game and managing,'' Mazzilli said. ``I love him, but if I had to play him in a game, all bets are off.''

Little had the opportunity to eliminate New York from the playoffs earlier this month, but the Red Sox lost Game 7 of the AL championship series when ace Pedro Martinez let a late lead slip away.

Little was severely criticized for not going to his bullpen sooner, a decision that probably cost him the job.

The Yankees ended up losing to the Florida Marlins in the World Series, and to this point Mazzilli doesn't know if he will be invited back to coach in a fifth season with New York.

All things considered, he'd prefer to be manager of the Orioles.

``It's a very good ballclub. It's a fun challenge,'' he said. ``Rather than being just competitive, you're challenging these players to win. Not just win 80 games; you're looking at them to win a pennant.''

That's a tall order for a team mired in a franchise-record run of six straight losing seasons.

``They're going into the free-agent market and making a commitment to improve the ballclub,'' Mazzilli said. ``But the bottom line for us, er, for the Orioles, is that you have to go through the Yankees to win. That's the road that has to be taken.''

Mazzilli, 48, managed for three years in the Yankees' farm system after a 14-year career in which he played for five teams, including the Yankees and New York Mets. He also spent time with Toronto, where he became friends with Flanagan.

He interviewed for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays' managerial opening last year, but Lou Piniella got the job. Mazzilli figures that whoever manages the Orioles -- even if it's Eddie Murray or Little or Sam Perlozzo -- will have plenty to work with.

``I'm happy coming here knowing the direction this club is going,'' he said. ``If I was not the manager here, I think the people of Baltimore will be pleased with the product that's going to be out there on the field next year.''

Updated on Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 3:52 pm EST

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:53 am

I'd like to see Mazilli get it ... I'm always for new blood. Little will get picked up by somebody as a coach and probably get a gig next season ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers