Third worst ratings ever... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Third worst ratings ever...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eftda » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:26 pm

The Boston Red Sox vs. The Cubs???

that would have drawn more fans than ever...

well thats what i think
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:32 am

eftda wrote:The Boston Red Sox vs. The Cubs???

that would have drawn more fans than ever...

well thats what i think

Yes, the ratings would have been through the roof. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:03 pm

eftda wrote:I think that we can all agree that a Sox vs. Cubs series would have been the BEST ever...

Mets vs. anyone, provided the mets win. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby stevelabny » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:09 pm

now wait a minute...
the statistics are lying again.
3rd lowest world series ever?
yes.

first time in SIX year that world series ratings went UP?
yes.

baseball ratings as a WHOLE have plummeted over the last who knows how long. it has nothing to do with the yanks-marlins world series.

the first problem that most people dont seem to realize is: in general, network tv ratings have fallen since the addition of 3 other pseudo networks (fox, upn, wb) and CABLE TV.

most people in america have upn, wb, and dozens of cable channels. There is no longer the phenomenon of EVERYBODY watching the same programming. this is why ratings on everything are down.

also, you have to take into account that FOX itself is STILL not in EVERY home in america. And that does have some effect on the ratings.

You can argue that "the yankees" are the cause of the overall loss of interest in baseball over the last generation, but i will point to to the ridiculous explosion at different times over the past generation of childrens soccer leagues (parents should be locked up for teaching their kids soccer) , skateboarding (ditto) , and video games .

would a cubs-sox series have done higher ratings? yes sure.

Why? Because there are so many non-baseball fans in those towns who bought into the whole curse storyline and would have tuned in to see their hometown team ONLY.
even serious boston baseball fans watch NOTHING but the redsox.
and in other sports, their home teams. boston ratings show that boston doesnt care about games between other teams.
again, I equate this with sore-loserdom as i can never imagine NOT watching the World Series.

So there are many reasons why baseball ratings are down as whole, and the yankees winning a lot is the slightest of them.
the ratings were actually UP this year.
Everyone is sad because they could have been better and blames the yankees. But guess again.

RED SOX-MARLINS would have done the same or LESS ratings than YANKS-MARLINS.
CUBS-YANKS would have done the same or better ratings than CUBS-SOX.

the problem with this world series WASNT the yankees. it was the MARLINS. they have no fans of their own and regular fans didnt believe they had a chance to win. (see other threads on this board.)

CUBS-YANKEES would have done huge ratings.
But unfortunately the Cubs didn't seal the deal. the yankees had nothing to do with it.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:24 pm

stevelabny wrote:(parents should be locked up for teaching their kids soccer) , skateboarding (ditto) , and video games .

Video games? I'm 28, and started off with the original Pong video game. I've gone all the way up the chain of systems, and currently have an Xbox that I use. I'm still a law abiding citizen that understands right from wrong. I played 4 sports in high school and even now still use my gym membership. I fail to see what video games can do that is bad for kids.

Parents don't need to be locked up for letting their kids play video games. Parents who don't teach their kids that video games are fake and not the way the world works, need to be locked up. Parents also need to make sure that kids go outside and play occasionally, not just sit in front of the games all day.

I also noticed that you managed to leave out what a Cubs/Sox World Series would have done as far as ratings go. I guarantee that the ratings would have been tremendous. They would have made the ratings for this World Series look like a bad joke.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stevelabny » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:36 pm

Madison wrote:Parents don't need to be locked up for letting their kids play video games. Parents who don't teach their kids that video games are fake and not the way the world works, need to be locked up. Parents also need to make sure that kids go outside and play occasionally, not just sit in front of the games all day.

I also noticed that you managed to leave out what a Cubs/Sox World Series would have done as far as ratings go. I guarantee that the ratings would have been tremendous. They would have made the ratings for this World Series look like a bad joke.

Um, can you go back and re-read what I said?

I didnt say video games were bad or that parents should be locked up for letting kids play video games. First, I listed them as one of my hobbies (I'm 30, I've been playing since the Atari 2600).
Second, I specified parents being locked up for letting their kids play soccer or skateboard but didnt add a comment after video games. And obviously, the locking up comments are jokes that just show my distaste for soccer and skateboarding. there isnt actually anything WRONG with them.

my point was that many kids in the past 20 years have spent their time playing soccer, skateboarding, and playing video games RATHER than play/watch baseball. They just never got into baseball the way we did. And thats not the Yankees fault. Just society changing.

As for Cubs-Sox, I did mention that Yanks-Cubs would have done just as well, if not better than cubs-sox. because nyc it bigger than boston and with the exception of the city of boston, the rest of the country would have watched for the Cubs.

I clearly said that the Red Sox wouldnt have had a huge impact on the ratings of a world series against either NL team.
But the difference between the Marlins and the Cubs is HUGE.
on a scale of 1-10 just to illustrate:

yanks-marlins 2
red sox-marlins 2 or MAYBE a 3
yanks-cubs 10
redsox-cubs 10 or MAYBE a 9.5

the problem with the ratings is THE MARLINS NOT THE YANKEES.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:54 pm

Steve, this is what you typed:

but i will point to to the ridiculous explosion at different times over the past generation of childrens soccer leagues (parents should be locked up for teaching their kids soccer) , skateboarding (ditto) , and video games .

Evidentally, I misread it, but it sure looked like you were blaming parents for video games. I was wrong, but it could have been a little clearer.

Anyway, there's no way that a Yankees/Cubs World Series would have done the same ratings as the Cubs/Sox. Too many people out there wanted to see a curse end. This isn't a knock against the Yankees at all. It's just that when it's been so long since either one of those teams won a World Series, the whole world would be watching to see who would finally get that monkey off their respective backs.

I do agree that a Cubs/Yankees World Series would have had better ratings than the Yankees/Marlins did, but there's just no way in the world that it could have matched a Sox/Cubs World Series.

I'd give it something like:

yanks-marlins 3
red sox-marlins 5
yanks-cubs 7
redsox-cubs 10
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers