5%

Total votes : 20

Postby Grenade Teeth » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:14 pm

Guest wrote:
Grenade Teeth wrote:
Both managed a couple of years
Collins 174 W, 160 L, .521 PCT
Morgan 301 W, 262 L, .535 PCT
Morgan also took the Red Sox to the Postseason, but has no more postseason wins than Collins.

Uhhhh....wrong Joe Morgan. The HoFer Joe Morgan never managed in the big leagues. The Joe Morgan that managed the Red Sox is white.

Really, I just assumed it was him. Well, sorry. I'm giving myself a 3-day suspensioni for that one. Doh.

I still like Collins

one last observation before leaving - isn't comparing Hornsby with Morgan with Collins like a dog show. You got a Greyhound, Pit Bull and whatever Morgan would be. And you gotta pick a winner. Camparing catchers was much easier.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:32 pm

Grenade Teeth wrote:
one last observation before leaving - isn't comparing Hornsby with Morgan with Collins like a dog show. You got a Greyhound, Pit Bull and whatever Morgan would be. And you gotta pick a winner. Camparing catchers was much easier.

Baseball fans (short for fanatics, right?) just love to argue who was the best. I know I do. I highly recommend Bill James' Historical Abstract, both the original from 1985 and the new from 2002. In the 1985 edition he ranks the top 10 at every position in terms of "peak value" and "career value". What I like about his lists are the methods he used to arrive at his picks. He uses many different sources, stats, contemporary reports from ther players, writers. managers, etc. His research is very extensive and well thought out. I'll post the section on 2B because James got the most grief from people. He only rated "the Rajah" 4th greatest.

More to come...
Last edited by LCBOY on Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:33 pm

Grenade Teeth wrote:
Really, I just assumed it was him. Well, sorry. I'm giving myself a 3-day suspensioni for that one. Doh.

I've spoken to Bud Selig and he has agreed to reduce your suspension to 1-day if your agree to wear an "I love Joe Morgan" t-shirt. :-)
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:52 pm

Arlo wrote:
(Can't wait for LCBOY to rip me apart now... !+) )

Who me? :-b
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:35 am

LCBOY wrote:
Grenade Teeth wrote:

I've spoken to Bud Selig and he has agreed to reduce your suspension to 1-day if your agree to wear an "I love Joe Morgan" t-shirt. :-)

Lmao! :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Arlo » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:20 am

LCBOY wrote:
Arlo wrote:
(Can't wait for LCBOY to rip me apart now... !+) )

Who me? :-b

Perish the thought! ;-)

I think that both Hornsby's defense and intangibles are often looked at a bit one-sidedly. The fact that McGraw dealt him, for instance, is often mentioned; that he (and Charles Stoneham) were willing to go to unprecedented lengths to acquire him isn't. Conversely, it could be argued that not adding Hornsby in 1919 was a serious mistake.

James makes some good points, certainly, but nevertheless, Rajah remains tops in my book. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: All-time Great 2nd baseman

Postby thedude » Sun May 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Joe Morgan. Hornsby was a better hitter (and would probably make a better broadcaster) but Morgan was a more complete player and a much better defender at an important defensive position.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Baseball History