What happens to BJ???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

What happens to BJ????

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

What happens to BJ????

Postby scr » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:10 am

OK, no blockbuster trades have been made this offseason, and the DFO has continued to add to position player depth.

The acquisition of Iwamura looks to push BJ out of 3B, and with Rocco still in CF, what happens to Upton?

To the experts in the cafe-deerayfan and raiders-what do you folks expect from BJ, if anything this year?

I took a shot and traded Foulke for BJ straight up. I'm hoping it wasn't a waste (not that I was keeping Foulke anyway-he probably only grabs half the save opps out of cleveland)
Last edited by scr on Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:41 am

I think he will be playing in the bigs all year pretty much full time. Even with Maddon's love affair with Gomes, I don't see him benching Upton to play Gomes unless Upton just shows no interest in getting better, and BTW, Upton has always showed interest in learning the game of baseball. One of Upton or Iwamura will have to be a utility player filling in at DH, 3b, OF, 2b, and possibly even SS this year. I honestly think Upton could fill that role even though his defense is less then average.

I honestly love the fact that we have this extra depth this year. So much better to have a few extra talented players, then not enough talented players like in the past.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scr » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Thanks, raiders, as always your responses are a great perspective.

Not too many folks realize that the Rays offense will be one of the better one's in all of MLB.

I was hoping to grab Gomes as a major sleeper-but if Madden doesn't play him FT between DH and 1B, it doesn't really pay. When healthy, Jonny can rake-didn't he have 18 hr's in the first month and a half last season (pre-injury)?

We should be in for an exciting spring. As crazy as it sounds, we are 2 pitchers away from being in the playoffs, IMHO.

Thanks again.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:40 pm

scr wrote:
We should be in for an exciting spring. As crazy as it sounds, we are 2 pitchers away from being in the playoffs, IMHO.

Thanks again.

2 pitchers away + lots of experience. I like to think of our team alot like the 89 and 90 Braves. They took some beatings during those years but the foundation was being laid with Gant, Justice, Smoltz, Glavine, Avery, and gang playing. Then in the 1990 offseason, Cox brought in Pendelton, Bream, Nixon, and Berenguer to help bring the youngsters along, and BAM, 15 titles in a row. I am not crazy enough to think that we can win 15 titles in a row, but I do believe that we are laying the foundation now, and if a few veterans sprinkle in next offseason(and of course David Price as well O:-) ), I really think the Yanks and Sox will be sweating us in 08 and beyond.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:58 pm

I agree with Raiders on BJ. The guy just has too much offensive talent to keep him off of the field. He will rotate in the INF and play some DH. I don't think Gomes will be playing full-time especially with Wiggy, Norton, now Pena at first and BJ being in the mix for the DH spot. Also, don't be surprised if they don't let BJ get some major playing time in the OF early in the year and during ST to show off that he can play the position so they can work a trade to get some pitching.

I also agree we need to get price and make sure we let Niemann, Talbot, Sorrenstine, Hammel all pitch in the Bigs this year to get some experiance and we need to find a closer, or just quit screwing with Chad and just let the guy pitch.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scr » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:53 am

I thought Seth handled himself well last year, and Edwin Jackson performed in winter ball. Perhaps this is the year Jackson finally shows the promise he's carried with him throughout his short tenure. The closer situation might not be as poor as it looks.

Overlooked, I believe, is the potential of James Shields. I was impressed with his poise and stuff last year. He will be a solid SP this year, IMHO.

Now, what exactly is the Marlin's hangup on making a deal for a CF?...
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:09 am

scr wrote:I thought Seth handled himself well last year, and Edwin Jackson performed in winter ball. Perhaps this is the year Jackson finally shows the promise he's carried with him throughout his short tenure. The closer situation might not be as poor as it looks.

Overlooked, I believe, is the potential of James Shields. I was impressed with his poise and stuff last year. He will be a solid SP this year, IMHO.

Now, what exactly is the Marlin's hangup on making a deal for a CF?...

Two conflicting reports:

One says the Rays were offered Olsen straight up for Rocco and the RAYS said they wanted another prospect.

One says the Rays want Olsen and the Marlins only want to deal Nolasco to us.

Seth handled himself well at home, his road stats are absolutley horrible. I know Seth and i hope he comes around, i just don't think he can. I am hopeful about e-Jax. He played well in Winter ball as a Starter, lets hope they keep him there.

Shields is a very good pitcher. He doesn't make many mistakes, in AAA he walked 6 people in like 80 something innings. He has a nasty change and good fastball. I think he is a solid 3 or 4.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:00 am

scr wrote:Not too many folks realize that the Rays offense will be one of the better one's in all of MLB.

That's a bit of a stretch don't you thing? TB was dead last in runs scored and .OBP last year. And also ranked 24th in .SLG. They should be better but I doubt they will be one of the better offenses in the league.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 381)

Postby scr » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:29 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
scr wrote:Not too many folks realize that the Rays offense will be one of the better one's in all of MLB.

That's a bit of a stretch don't you thing? TB was dead last in runs scored and .OBP last year. And also ranked 24th in .SLG. They should be better but I doubt they will be one of the better offenses in the league.

Pogo-

Please remember, this year, hopefully, the Rays will be HEALTHY.

A lineup featuring Upton (hopefully)/Iwamura, Delmon, CC, Gomes, Rocco, Cantu, Wiggy/Norton, Zobrist & Navarro could be explosive.

You've got speed, (BJ, Delmon, Rocco, CC)
Pop (Gomes, Cantu)
Consistency (Wiggy/Delmon/Iwamura?)

Can Iwamura handle MLB pitching? Can Zobrist & Navarro give you more than solid defense?

It was pretty exciting watching these kids perform in September.

IMHO, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:32 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:

I agree a bit with Pogo. I think we will definitely be better just because of being healthy and the addition of Delmon, BJ, and Rocco. But we have a ways to go to be a top 5 or 10 offense. If everything comes together beautifully(Cantu back to 05 form, the 3 youngsters playing like 5 year vets, 1B and DH not being a problem), then we could possibly be a top 10 offense, but realistically I will be extremely happy if we are top 15 this year.
raiders_umpire

Next

Return to Tampa Bay Rays