Todd Helton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Boston Red Sox

Todd Helton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Todd Helton

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:52 pm

Obviously it's just talks at the moment which can very easily turn out to be nothing, but what do you guys think of getting Todd Helton?

I think he would be a great addition...along the lines of the Yankees getting Abreu last year. His power is not the same but he still has a great OBP and works pitchers well. If we can get rid of Lowell and Clement in the process then it's an absolutely fantastic deal. Can you imagine having Lugo, Ortiz, Manny, Helton, and Drew in the middle of the lineup? I don't know if that would be the order or not but that doesn't really matter at this point.

Looks like it's gonna be a great season to be a Sox fan so far. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rockiesfan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:25 pm

As a rockie Fan I would also be excited for this deal for both teams.
For the Rockies they need to part ways from Helton and bring up Joe Koshansky up and give him a shot, he had a great year in AA and is ready for the show

For the Sox it would give them a great 1B who is also a great defensive player. For Todd Helton this would be good to, he is a great player and could possibly win a world series.
Rockiesfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:00 pm

Home: .368 .490 .693 1.183
Away: .326 .446 .544 .990

Home: .353 .471 .616 1.087
Away: .287 .418 .453 .871

Home: .338 .445 .531 .976
Away: .266 .360 .421 .781

Honestly, I wouldn't take him for free, just because of his ridiculous contract.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby APAP » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:10 pm

Reportedly, the Rockies will pay at least 40+ million as part of the deal, so money wouldn't be TOO big a problem. Here's hoping this deal goes down.
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:45 am

Sure, if he costs them Lowell and Clement and the Rox eat half the contract it's a great deal. But for them to eat any money, it should cost us Bucholz or Bowden, a price I'm not willing to part with.
Now if we save the projected SP, and it's a couple relievers we part with, like Martinez or Hansen or Delcarmen or maybe Cox, then I'd like it a little more.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby d18Mike » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:02 am

I saw a great Sabermetrics analysis on park effects a few years ago that essentially showed that if Helton played in a neutral park his closest comparable player (and it was VERY comparable) would be Mike Sweeney (KC). And that Sweeney in COL and healthy would have Helton's numbers. That sounds about right.

I've never understood why Helton and Todd Walker don't seem get the same "psychological asteriks" by their numbers that folks seem willing to put by Bichette, Castilia. PWilson and others in COL.

Not saying that Helton isn't a good player. He certainly is. But he has never been truly great except in Fantasy circles.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kcbrett5 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:43 am

I don't like it, Keep what we have if it is for Ellsbury or Hanson or Delcarman or Martinez

If it is for Taveras and Lowell. I guess it could be worth a shot, Helton coming off a bad back that he has never really recovered from. He still will hit for AVG.

Lugo - SS
Youkilis - 3B
Ortiz - DH
Ramirez - LF
Drew - RF
Helton - 1B
Varitek - C
Pedroia - 2B
Crisp - CF
kcbrett5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Location: Stepping up to the plate, 2 out bases loaded, down by 3, right where i want to be.

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:57 am

The Rockies aren't going to part with Helton for the Red Sox trash - if the Red Sox FO believes that they might as well walk away from the table right now. You'll need to include some prospects, likely pitching prospects, to get a deal done.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby homers » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:36 am

I agree. There's no way the Rockies would do this unless young talent is included, and given the sox recent track record (Anibal Sanchez, Hanley Ramirez), I'd just asume keep Youkilis at 1B and Lowell at 3B. Lowell and Youk are good defensively, and offensively they'll produce about the same as Helton anyway:

Helton .302-15-81 in 649 ab - .266 on the road
Youkilis .279-13-72 in 569 ab
Lowell .284-20-80 in 573 ab

Helton's power is going in the same direction as Don Mattingly's after his back issues. A nice player, but not even an average 1B offensively at this stage of his career. And remember, this is what Helton produced in COLORADO...stick a fork in him...

What exactly does Boston gain? They get to rid themselves of the burden of developing young talent :-?
homers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:06 pm

homers wrote:I agree. There's no way the Rockies would do this unless young talent is included, and given the sox recent track record (Anibal Sanchez, Hanley Ramirez), I'd just asume keep Youkilis at 1B and Lowell at 3B. Lowell and Youk are good defensively, and offensively they'll produce about the same as Helton anyway:

Helton .302-15-81 in 649 ab - .266 on the road
Youkilis .279-13-72 in 569 ab
Lowell .284-20-80 in 573 ab

Helton's power is going in the same direction as Don Mattingly's after his back issues. A nice player, but not even an average 1B offensively at this stage of his career. And remember, this is what Helton produced in COLORADO...stick a fork in him...

What exactly does Boston gain? They get to rid themselves of the burden of developing young talent :-?

First of all Helton had 546 AB last year, not 649. You also didn't include OBP which is much more relevant to why the Sox want him than HR and RBI.

I posted this in the Player Updates forum:

teddy ballgame wrote:Youk's AVG and OBP were both 23 points lower than Helton's. Youk had twice as many K's as well which shouldn't be overlooked.

As for Lowell, even if he "came back with pop" he was still 20 points lower in AVG and 65 lower in OBP. Defense? Helton has won 3 gold gloves.

Keep in mind Helton was hospitalized with a stomach thing midway through the year and didn't really fully recover until this offseason. He has regained the weight he lost.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Boston Red Sox