Garrett Anderson royally sucks! Why is he still a regular?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Garrett Anderson royally sucks! Why is he still a regular?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Garrett Anderson royally sucks! Why is he still a regular?!

Postby Poincare » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:11 pm

I don't think I'm the only Angels fan who feels this way. I respect G.A.'s past accomplishments and he has had an excellent career highlighted by his contribution to the championship team in 2002. Unfortunately, he hasn't hit like that since 2003, he has an arthritic back, his defense has degenerated from good to average to poor to what it is now. His OPS is barely over .750--not what you're looking for in a #6 hitter, much less a cleanup hitter. He has never learned to take a walk, he doesn't hit .300 anymore, and hasn't hit even 18 homers in a season since 2003.

The last three seasons his runs scored totals are 57, 68, 63, which is absolutely putrid considering he always hits in the middle of the line-up. His RBI totals are better: 75, 96, 85. but for a clean-up hitter who hits behind Vladimir Guerrero, how impressive is that really?

It's too bad Juan Rivera had to get hurt, because I honestly think the Angels would be a better team if they just released Anderson and played Rivera full-time in left field. I believe the difference between their abilities offensively and defensively at this time would add up to about 30 runs difference--which is roughly equal to three wins in the standings.

What makes this situation even worse is The Angels have now added Shea Hillenbrand--who is basically a right-handed caucasian version of Garrett Anderson as a hitter. This team just doesn't seem to get the concept of On Base Percentage and how "protecting" Big Vlad with proven out machines like Hillenbrand and G.A. will hurt the offense and cost the team runs.
Last edited by Poincare on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poincare
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Garrett Anderson royally sucks! Why is he still a regular?!

Postby sLim » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:40 pm

Poincare wrote:What makes this situation even worse is The Angels have now added Shea Hillenbrand--who is basically a right-handed caucasian version of Garrett Anderson as a hitter. This team just doesn't seem to get the concept of On Base Percentage, and how now have proven out machines like Hillenbrand and G.A. "protecting" Big Vlad will hurt the offense and cost the team runs.

LOL
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sLim » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:42 pm

i agree that rivera is our best option in LF...he has a right fielders' arm which would give us fantastic arms from our corner outfield spots...and if given everyday abs...rivera is our best power hitter after vlad...its just our bad luck for him to get hurt during the same offseason where we missed out on another big power bat...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby glcmustliveon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:57 pm

Would somebody please... "end" Stoneman, ...please... I will pay.

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim