O'Brien to be the new GM of Cincy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

O'Brien to be the new GM of Cincy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

O'Brien to be the new GM of Cincy?

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:17 am

RANGERS NOTES

Kathleen O'Brien , StarTelegram Staff Writer

Rangers assistant general manager Dan O'Brien is going home.

O'Brien, an Ohio native, is expected to be announced as general manager of the Cincinnati Reds, probably today. Clubs are not supposed to make major announcements during the World Series, but published reports in several Ohio newspapers said unnamed Reds sources have confirmed that O'Brien will be the new general manager.

"I am not at liberty to comment," O'Brien said Saturday night.

O'Brien, 49, was one of three finalists to interview with Reds officials in Cincinnati last week, along with Montreal Expos general manager Omar Minaya and Minnesota Twins assistant general manager Wayne Krivsky. The Reds fired their previous GM, Jim Bowden, after 10 1/2 seasons on July 28.

O'Brien, whose father, Dan, was Rangers GM from 1973-79, has served as the Rangers assistant GM for baseball operations since October 1996. He previously spent 15 seasons with the Houston Astros, last serving as the director of player development and scouting, and four with the Seattle Mariners.

Rangers general manager John Hart, who said that he did not yet know if O'Brien would be leaving, said: "To have an opportunity to become a GM is a tremendous honor for him, and I think a reward for all of the years that he's put in the game."

Although O'Brien has worked in Texas since 1981, he followed the Reds while growing up in Columbus and earned a master's degree from Ohio University. His wife, Gail, is also from Ohio, making the Reds position that much more desirable.

"Of course it would mean more," O'Brien said.

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:20 am

There is one .....

Baseball should be very busy tomorrow........... Well it better be, "Yes, that is you I am looking at Bowa"
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:30 am

wrveres wrote:There is one .....

Baseball should be very busy tomorrow........... Well it better be, "Yes, that is you I am looking at Bowa"

Lmao! I guess there might be a "Bowa watch" if they drag it out too long. :-b Lol. :*)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:40 am

Here's another article about it:

The Reds reportedly have settled on Texas assistant Dan O'Brien as their new general manager.
A surprising choice by the Reds, who also had Minnesota assistant GM Wayne Krivsky and Montreal GM Omar Minaya in for second interviews. O'Brien, 49, has been with the Rangers since October 1996. Before that, he spent 15 years with the Astros, rising to director of scouting and player development. The decision to hire O'Brien is believed to be good news for interim Dave Miley, who figures to be named the permanent manager. Since the Reds will have a payroll under $50 million in 2004 and already have $31 million committed to five players, O'Brien's in for a tough winter. Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:09 am

Madison wrote:Here's another article about it:

The Reds reportedly have settled on Texas assistant Dan O'Brien as their new general manager.
A surprising choice by the Reds, who also had Minnesota assistant GM Wayne Krivsky and Montreal GM Omar Minaya in for second interviews. O'Brien, 49, has been with the Rangers since October 1996. Before that, he spent 15 years with the Astros, rising to director of scouting and player development. The decision to hire O'Brien is believed to be good news for interim Dave Miley, who figures to be named the permanent manager. Since the Reds will have a payroll under $50 million in 2004 and already have $31 million committed to five players, O'Brien's in for a tough winter. Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Well, I bet he walked in and said ... "Tell ya what I won't do?" "I won't sign 1 player to a 15 miilion dollar deal" (images of Shotzie 1 rolling in her grave)... and they replied ...."Will you work for free?". "YES? " "Jobs Yours"
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Return to Baseball Leftovers