Which option is better? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Which option is better?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which option is better?

Postby DaQ » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:57 pm

I am making a fantasy baseball league for me and a few college friends and I have two sts of rules I can implement. While some of the conditions will be there either way, there is a big difference in some other areas.

Included in both options A and B
12 team roto (R, HR, RBI, OBP, SB for hitters, ERA, WHIP, K/9, W and saves for pitchers)
-$10 entry fee. $100 to the winner and a $20 gift certificate to any restaurant on campus (urban campus).
-25 player rosters. Starters include one player at every defensive position, one utility, 4 SP, 2 RP and 3 P. The bench will be 7 players. There will also be 2 DL spots.

The other essential aspects to the league are debatable...

Option A
-Snake draft, both in the inagural year, staggered draft in following years where draft goes worst-best for the first two rounds, then presumes in snake draft format.
-Owners can keep up to 5 players per year.

Option B
-Initial draft will be in the form of an auction. 25 players will be selected with a cap of $285
-After the draft, every team is allowed to assign 20 one-year contracts, 3 two-year contracts and 2 three-year contracts. This contract structure will remain from year-to-year.
-The $$ amount each player was bought for is his yearly salary.
-When a player's contract is up, an owner must pay the player a $5 raise to sign him to a one-year deal, $7 for a two-year deal and $10 to a three-year deal.
-Cap hits will be instituted when releasing players that are earning $10 or more a year. Free agents acquired during the season automatically sign a 1-year, $3 contract.
-Teams bid on off-season free agents (over an extended period of time). Any free-agent unsigned enters a pool where owners without full rosters can draft them. Each palyer selected in the FA draft signs a 1-year, $1 contract.

Obviously, Option A is much simpler, easier to use and will probably be what I end up using. However, Option B adds the element of an auction. Option B also prevents loopholes and requires much more strategy.

I was also considering a hybrid, where we use an autcion draft but then ditch the salaries afted that. However, a team could simply win bids for Pujols, Soriano, Reyes, Santana and A-Rod, then purpously tank the first year and dominate after that.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions, ideas? All are appreciated.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:47 pm

If these guys are new to fantasy baseball I'd go with the draft.

Auction is more interesting/fun IMO but only if the other owners know what they are doing.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner