35%

Total votes : 17

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:18 am

Madison wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
Madison wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
Madison wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:The one thing i dislike in roto, is everyone plays every game. You cant platoon.

As long as you have daily roster moves, and a bench, you can platoon players in roto. :-)

I suppose. The only roto i have played is the standard 23 man, everyone plays, no bench, weekly moves only.

I played a roto league at Yahoo last year. 5 bench players and daily roster moves. Up to 5 minutes before game time. ;-)

MAD You like Yahoo? I dislike free leagues. They invite kids to play, and since nobody invests anything, teams drop out.

It was my first Yahoo league. I've played for years, mostly at Sportsline, but I decided to give Yahoo a shot after hearing some people talk about the "Winners Leagues" being very competitive.

The league was pretty boring actually. Message board was quiet. 3 trades the whole year. 8 active owners out of 12 teams. It wasn't much fun at all. Not sure if I'm going to try it again next year or not. We'll see.

Unfortunately, and I'll admit it, I finished 2nd, because of 2 k's, and 1 save. 8-o If I had 2 more k's and 1 save, I'd have won the league. A whole year's worth of work came down to that. Ug. Lol.

Wrveres wrote:But this Hootie is real roto ..... 23 man, everybody plays, no bench ... 2 C's and weekly lineups....

That's how Sportsline does it. It gets aggrivating sometimes though. I had Mark McGuire in his final season. He hit something like .179 with 20 something HR's and I couldn't put him on the bench. He wouldn't even go on the DL so I could pick someone else up. Still fun, but a little annoying.

it requires a lot of prior planning......

I may be wrong.... But this is widely considered the standard format for rotobaseball (5x5, 23 players, weekly) All most all "Commercial Draft Sheets" and "Rankings"are based upon that format. That and a 260.00 salary cap for auction leagues.... again I may be wrong ... But that its what all my homework points out ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:23 am

I'm pretty sure that you are correct Wrveres. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:58 am

Madison wrote:I'm pretty sure that you are correct Wrveres. ;-D

It's important .... If your league uses a different format. You really should'nt use these "Commercial Rankings" Always get the rankings to fit you're league "style" Rototimes is the only service I know of that allows you to rank players based upon your league's categories .. and it's free.. points rankings should never be confused with roto, and H2H rankings should never be be confused with points. Toss in H2H points and ya have a whole new ballgame ...

If a save is equal to a win (points) .... Then "Gagne" could be a monster in a H2H points league..

oops wrong thread.....
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:09 am

wrveres wrote:oops wrong thread.....

The "Karma" gods must be real upset with you. :-D LMAO! :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:13 pm

Madison wrote:
wrveres wrote:oops wrong thread.....

The "Karma" gods must be real upset with you. :-D LMAO! :-b

Lol! :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby stevelabny » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:49 pm

i DESPISE points leagues. (or non 5x5 roto leagues)
who has time to figure out how each player ranks in stupid stats like doubles, triples or even worse TROUBLES. argh.

i DESPISE H2H.
which is the main reason i dont play fantasy football, cuz EVERY website only wants to run H2H. i hate having the best team after four weeks overall and being 1-3 or 0-4.

i DESPISE daily transactions.
i used to have a job, i plan on getting another one. I have a gf, I have my video games to play, comic books to read, tv to watch, you get the idea. And I'm still online more often than most people I know who might have more important time eaters like wives and kids. daily transactions do nothing but reward the uber-geek who can spend 30 minutes a day toiling over his team.

i DESPISE snake-drafts.
Oh no, I got the the 5th pick and Randy, Pedro, Vlad and Arod are all gone. Now what? With EVERY player being available for the draft and no "free-agency" before the season, auction drafts are the only way to go that gives everyone a fair chance.

5x5 roto with weekly transactions and an auction draft is the way to play.
it rewards good drafting, unlike daily transaction leagues where so many slumping players get dropped that there is always a good wiaver acquistion to pick up.
and it leaves ample time for trash-talking and trade-talking as you only make moveso nce a week.

i want a league to be FUN not a chore.
i start preparing for my league at season's end.
get the first fantasy magazine i see.
and slowly keep building up my lists over time, so that i dont have to "cram" the night before the draft
this makes it relaxing and fun.
not a second job.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:26 pm

stevelabny wrote:daily transactions do nothing but reward the uber-geek who can spend 30 minutes a day toiling over his team.

My favorite is 5x5 weekly also, but I wish I could get away with only 30 minutes a day .... 8-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:09 pm

wrveres wrote:
stevelabny wrote:daily transactions do nothing but reward the uber-geek who can spend 30 minutes a day toiling over his team.

My favorite is 5x5 weekly also, but I wish I could get away with only 30 minutes a day .... 8-o

Yeah, that would be nice. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:50 am

HOOTIE wrote:I have played both. Personally, i like H2H better. My H2H plays 7 games per week. That means you play 7 games at every position, except 14 at rp. H2H lets you start who you want versus who you want. Example, i would start Pedro against my toughest opponent. I start my 7th sp versus my weakest opponent. If Arod plays 6 games that week, the backup plays one. You can schedule who you want in any game. So you set your lineups so all your backups dont all play game 7. To me its, just more fun and realistic. I'm not sure which i would say is tougher, or luckier. The one thing i dislike in roto, is everyone plays every game. You cant platoon.

What service are you using? That sounds pretty cool. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers