Roto or H2H?

Roto
65%
H2H
35%

Total votes : 17

Roto vs. Head to Head

Postby shortsavage » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:11 am

I think every post I have participated in heavily, today, has lead to this question...

What style of fantasy baseball is better Roto or Head to Head?

Hehe, I know I am going to get pounced on again ;-) , but I prefer Head to Head by far. I like being able to talk trash for an entire week. And having the ability to knock a team out of the playoffs :-D .

H2H mimmics the MLB. You can develop rivalries and build upon match ups ;-D . There are cetainly ways to strech your season, like playing two teams a week, that will take away from the luck involved in H2H.

Roto is more like scabble. You play, you study you play you study. I don't want to study. I want to play play play :-) .

Now if I was doing a structured professional league, Roto is the way to go. But, for just having fun with your friends, H2H is awesome ;-D !
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:28 am

Chalk me up for Roto. It's very demanding in competitive leagues. You can also trash talk all you want. In the end, you know who played better.

H2H has a lot more luck involved. Also, the best team doesn't necessarily win. An off week in the playoffs, and you are out. Most H2H leagues don't have an inning limit or roster move limit. This allows some owners to win with quantity over quality, and I despise that. I haven't played H2H in a few years because of it.

Now I am playing a H2H league next year, so we'll see if the trend is the same as it used to be. Hopefully, that won't be the case. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Roto vs. Head to Head

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:32 am

shortsavage wrote:I think every post I have participated in heavily, today, has lead to this question...

What style of fantasy baseball is better Roto or Head to Head?

Hehe, I know I am going to get pounced on again ;-) , but I prefer Head to Head by far. I like being able to talk trash for an entire week. And having the ability to knock a team out of the playoffs :-D .

H2H mimmics the MLB. You can develop rivalries and build upon match ups ;-D . There are cetainly ways to strech your season, like playing two teams a week, that will take away from the luck involved in H2H.

Roto is more like scabble. You play, you study you play you study. I don't want to study. I want to play play play :-) .

Now if I was doing a structured professional league, Roto is the way to go. But, for just having fun with your friends, H2H is awesome ;-D !

Well I like both. I play both. H2H is alot of luck, especially the playoffs. Roto Takes alot of prior planning, and I really like that.
But the first two question's I have before playing any league are,

What does it Pay??? .... :-) :-)

What is the competition?? :-) :-) ..
I hate sucky leagues with no-show owners. How hard is it. Even when your team is out. You still set your lineup or don't play. What ?10 minutes a week at most.. :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:40 am

I have played both. Personally, i like H2H better. My H2H plays 7 games per week. That means you play 7 games at every position, except 14 at rp. H2H lets you start who you want versus who you want. Example, i would start Pedro against my toughest opponent. I start my 7th sp versus my weakest opponent. If Arod plays 6 games that week, the backup plays one. You can schedule who you want in any game. So you set your lineups so all your backups dont all play game 7. To me its, just more fun and realistic. I'm not sure which i would say is tougher, or luckier. The one thing i dislike in roto, is everyone plays every game. You cant platoon.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:44 am

HOOTIE wrote:The one thing i dislike in roto, is everyone plays every game. You cant platoon.

As long as you have daily roster moves, and a bench, you can platoon players in roto. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:50 am

Madison wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:The one thing i dislike in roto, is everyone plays every game. You cant platoon.

As long as you have daily roster moves, and a bench, you can platoon players in roto. :-)

I suppose. The only roto i have played is the standard 23 man, everyone plays, no bench, weekly moves only.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:53 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Madison wrote:

I suppose. The only roto i have played is the standard 23 man, everyone plays, no bench, weekly moves only.

I played a roto league at Yahoo last year. 5 bench players and daily roster moves. Up to 5 minutes before game time. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:02 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Madison wrote:

But this Hootie is real roto ..... 23 man, everybody plays, no bench ... 2 C's and weekly lineups....

Most leagues are switching to the same format, but going to daily transactions.

Benches ....

I have a league that has a bench, But I don't really like them, benches. I prefer ..... Everbody plays ....
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:02 am

Madison wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
Madison wrote:

I played a roto league at Yahoo last year. 5 bench players and daily roster moves. Up to 5 minutes before game time. ;-)

MAD You like Yahoo? I dislike free leagues. They invite kids to play, and since nobody invests anything, teams drop out.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:12 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Madison wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
Madison wrote:

MAD You like Yahoo? I dislike free leagues. They invite kids to play, and since nobody invests anything, teams drop out.

It was my first Yahoo league. I've played for years, mostly at Sportsline, but I decided to give Yahoo a shot after hearing some people talk about the "Winners Leagues" being very competitive.

The league was pretty boring actually. Message board was quiet. 3 trades the whole year. 8 active owners out of 12 teams. It wasn't much fun at all. Not sure if I'm going to try it again next year or not. We'll see.

Unfortunately, and I'll admit it, I finished 2nd, because of 2 k's, and 1 save. 8-o If I had 2 more k's and 1 save, I'd have won the league. A whole year's worth of work came down to that. Ug. Lol.

Wrveres wrote:But this Hootie is real roto ..... 23 man, everybody plays, no bench ... 2 C's and weekly lineups....

That's how Sportsline does it. It gets aggrivating sometimes though. I had Mark McGuire in his final season. He hit something like .179 with 20 something HR's and I couldn't put him on the bench. He wouldn't even go on the DL so I could pick someone else up. Still fun, but a little annoying.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers