Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:17 am

HOOTIE wrote:
May 229
June 268
July 240
August 275

Sept 348

since I made the mistake of trading for Soriano after his hot April, that is what I was staring at all season ... 8-o

Of cousre he was still worlds better than my "drafted" option at 2B ..... The Spitter. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jay » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:24 am

Soriano is not only in the top ten, I wouldn't make fun of anyone who would say he is the best keeper. Now, do I think he is? No. But 40/40 and 100+ runs and around 100 runs along with a career .284 AVG? Move him to the outfield, he's still in the top 10.

Who brought up Juan Samuel? That's awesome. Brings me back to my days playing World Series Baseball '93 with the Reds.

World Series Baseball '93 on Sega Genesis : The Finest baseball game ever made.
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StAlEfReNcHfRi91 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:04 am

joshheines wrote:Since there is currently a regular, one-time mock draft going on, is anyone interested in doing a slow keeper mock draft? 12 teams, snake style.

I'll start it and see if it catches on.

1.1 Albert Pujols

i'm interested...

1.2: a-rod
StAlEfReNcHfRi91
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:29 am

joshheines wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:It is funny how the post season affects rankings. Soriano sucks and everyone is down on him and Beckett throws great and all of a sudden he is a top ten pick. Look again. Soriano is a 30/30 2nd baseman. He might be an OF in the future but even as an OF he will be equal to Beltran. Beckett's career record? 17-17 He has yet to throw more than 150 innings in a season. He is a great talent but has yet to prove he can be great for an entire season.

Maybe, in the regular season Beckett hasn't thrown 150 innings, but how many pitchers this year have thrown 183 innings in the regular and post-season? I'd say that number is on par with what most starting pitchers have thrown.

Between regular and post-season Beckett threw 182.6 innings. His total numbers this year: 11 wins, 199 K, 2.86 ERA, 1.21 WHIP.

Compares favorably with other "keeper" caliber starters (stats from regular season):

Beckett: 11 wins, 199 K, 2.86 ERA, 1.21 WHIP
Pedro: 14 wins, 206 K, 2.22 ERA, 1.04 WHIP
Halladay: 22 wins, 204 K, 3.25 ERA, 1.07 WHIP
Zito: 14 wins, 146 K, 3.30 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
Mulder: 15 wins, 128 K, 3.13 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
Hudson: 16 wins, 162 K, 2.70 ERA, 1.08 WHIP

Bottom line, numbers are what you make of them. If you want to think that Beckett hasn't pitched a "full" season, that's fine. But he logged nearly 185 innings this year, that's as many as Mulder, almost as many as Pedro. His arm will be ready to go. But if you want to talk about concern for a pitcher's arm, look no further than LeRoy Halladay. It might just fall off next year.

Last time I checked post-season starts don't count in fantasy baseball. Plus I don't think that the extra starts in October will help him stay healthy next year. I'm not saying he doesn't have the talent. I'm saying he hasn't showed it over an entire season yet. There is no was in my mind that a 17-17 career pitcher with a history of injuries should be in the top ten.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:23 pm

HOOTIE wrote:You are letting your perceptions guide you. And perceptions can be wrong.

May 229
June 268
July 240
August 275

Hootie, I did look at the splits after my first post and I felt that the splits do back me up. Other than two great months, he was downright awful. That kind of inconsistancy doesn't make for an elite keeper status in my mind.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby rotodog » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:07 am

StAlEfReNcHfRi91 wrote:
joshheines wrote:Since there is currently a regular, one-time mock draft going on, is anyone interested in doing a slow keeper mock draft? 12 teams, snake style.

1.1 Albert Pujols

i'm interested...

seeing as how i missed out in the first one,im getting a piece of this action!should we have it moved?
1.3 beltran
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:15 am

rotodog wrote:
StAlEfReNcHfRi91 wrote:

1.1 Albert Pujols

i'm interested...

seeing as how i missed out in the first one,im getting a piece of this action!should we have it moved?
1.3 beltran

Any Moderator want to move this to a separate forum? Not sure if I can do that myself, unlikely.

We got three in, 9 to go, hop aboard.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:22 am

Anonymous wrote:Any Moderator want to move this to a separate forum? Not sure if I can do that myself, unlikely.

We got three in, 9 to go, hop aboard.

Yep, it takes a moderator or an admin staff member to move a thread.

This forum gets the most exposure, so I'll leave it here until it's filled. Then we will see about moving it. :-)

On another note, anyone who would like to participate in a mock draft, please register. It makes it a whole lot easier to let everyone know when it's their pick. Private messages, etc. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers