Top Keeper League Targets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Keeper League Targets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:22 pm

Rick Down needs to be fired. They need someone to teach him to learn the strike zone. Say, how's Alcor doing with Teddy? :-P

In all honesty, if Ted Williams was still with us, he could teach soriano wonders. Tony Gwynn could help Soriano here too.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shitney™ » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:25 pm

ramble2 wrote:Who's Juan Samuel? Exactly.

wha what?

i have a Starting Lineup Juan Samuel figurine sittin on my dresser, right next to Steve Bedrosian, Mike Schmidt, and Von Hayes

i'm waiting until soriano gets traded before i buy one of him
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:05 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Take that HOOTIE and all you Soriano is a top 10 keeper fans :-)

Not a problem. Soriano still rates at 2b next year. And if traded, he could still play 2b. I remember last season, the same speculation was there. Of course his value drops from 2bto OF. So instead of being a top 5 pick at 2b, hes a #10 at 2b-of. Take Gagne my friend. I'm not a NY fan, but i like Soriano. You can't teach quick wrists and blazing speed. People forget the hacker Sammy Sosa at age 30 was sporting a 300 oba, swinging at balls a foot outside. Experience will eventually sink in Sorianos brain. In the post season, he tried to swing his way out of a slump, instead of taking pitches. I will quit bb, and fantasy, if Soriano turns out to be Samuel. Soriano is much more talented.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:08 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
shortsavage wrote:
Take that HOOTIE and all you Soriano is a top 10 keeper fans :-)

Not a problem. Soriano still rates at 2b next year. And if traded, he could still play 2b. I remember last season, the same speculation was there. Of course his value drops from 2bto OF. So instead of being a top 5 pick at 2b, hes a #10 at 2b-of. Take Gagne my friend. I'm not a NY fan, but i like Soriano. You can't teach quick wrists and blazing speed. People forget the hacker Sammy Sosa at age 30 was sporting a 300 oba, swinging at balls a foot outside. Experience will eventually sink in Sorianos brain. In the post season, he tried to swing his way out of a slump, instead of taking pitches. I will quit bb, and fantasy, if Soriano turns out to be Samuel. Soriano is much more talented.

dibs on your *Favorites folder .... when you quit.. :-B
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:33 pm

wrveres wrote:
dibs on your *Favorites folder .... when you quit.. :-B

LOL Ok WR!!
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby joshheines » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:36 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:It is funny how the post season affects rankings. Soriano sucks and everyone is down on him and Beckett throws great and all of a sudden he is a top ten pick. Look again. Soriano is a 30/30 2nd baseman. He might be an OF in the future but even as an OF he will be equal to Beltran. Beckett's career record? 17-17 He has yet to throw more than 150 innings in a season. He is a great talent but has yet to prove he can be great for an entire season.

Maybe, in the regular season Beckett hasn't thrown 150 innings, but how many pitchers this year have thrown 183 innings in the regular and post-season? I'd say that number is on par with what most starting pitchers have thrown.

Between regular and post-season Beckett threw 182.6 innings. His total numbers this year: 11 wins, 199 K, 2.86 ERA, 1.21 WHIP.

Compares favorably with other "keeper" caliber starters (stats from regular season):

Beckett: 11 wins, 199 K, 2.86 ERA, 1.21 WHIP
Pedro: 14 wins, 206 K, 2.22 ERA, 1.04 WHIP
Halladay: 22 wins, 204 K, 3.25 ERA, 1.07 WHIP
Zito: 14 wins, 146 K, 3.30 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
Mulder: 15 wins, 128 K, 3.13 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
Hudson: 16 wins, 162 K, 2.70 ERA, 1.08 WHIP

Bottom line, numbers are what you make of them. If you want to think that Beckett hasn't pitched a "full" season, that's fine. But he logged nearly 185 innings this year, that's as many as Mulder, almost as many as Pedro. His arm will be ready to go. But if you want to talk about concern for a pitcher's arm, look no further than LeRoy Halladay. It might just fall off next year.
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joshheines » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:42 pm

Since there is currently a regular, one-time mock draft going on, is anyone interested in doing a slow keeper mock draft? 12 teams, snake style.

I'll start it and see if it catches on.

1.1 Albert Pujols
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ramble2 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:18 am

Shitney™ wrote:
ramble2 wrote:Who's Juan Samuel? Exactly.

wha what?

i have a Starting Lineup Juan Samuel figurine sittin on my dresser, right next to Steve Bedrosian, Mike Schmidt, and Von Hayes

i'm waiting until soriano gets traded before i buy one of him

Sweet! You have a Samuel figurine?!

I hope that Soriano gets some good coaching and develops as a hitter. Right now he could go either way. As he ages he won't be able to rely on the quick reflexes as much, and will have to learn how to hit if he wants to maintain (?) his level of play.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:04 am

joshheines wrote:
Maybe, in the regular season Beckett hasn't thrown 150 innings, but how many pitchers this year have thrown 183 innings in the regular and post-season? I'd say that number is on par with what most starting pitchers have thrown.
Bottom line, numbers are what you make of them. If you want to think that Beckett hasn't pitched a "full" season, that's fine. But he logged nearly 185 innings this year, that's as many as Mulder, almost as many as Pedro. His arm will be ready to go. But if you want to talk about concern for a pitcher's arm, look no further than LeRoy Halladay. It might just fall off next year.

It's unfair to extend Becketts season to 178 games, and then compare that to 162 game season of others. Becketts regular season innings ranked 106th. If we play the what if game, and add his extra starts, he ranks 73rd.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:12 am

blankman wrote:But the thing is, its not just the postseason. Look what he did in at the end of the regular season, practically nothing. Aside from a couple great opening months, he was pretty much god-awful. I'll get some stats later to back this up if I find the time.

You are letting your perceptions guide you. And perceptions can be wrong.

pre all star 292 average 856 ops
post all star 287 average 871 ops

a 5 point drop. Looks pretty consistent. Lets break his months down, to see how bad he was perceived to be after May.

April 370
May 229
June 268
July 240
August 275
Sept 348

Sept was his 2nd best, and August his 3rd.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers