Book of the Month Club - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Book of the Month Club

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby J35J » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:49 pm

So... should we treat this like a "real" book of the month club and nominate one of these books for Feb and everyone who wants to join in will have to buy or check out the book and read if for the month of Feb, then we could talk about it as we go along and maybe at the end of the month whoever read the book can then rate it 1-10.......

Anyway, just some ideas on if we want to continue this thread further......

Anyone else with some ideas?

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:45 pm

OK, so I'm almost through Max Brooks' "World War Z" and I highly recommend picking it up. As far as pure, written entertainment goes, it's top notch. And like the great George A. Romero films, like at the end of "Night of the Living Dead" when that crazy redneck with a gun kills the black protagonist, you say to yourself, "Whoa, this is about way more than zombies!"

The way it's told is incredible; instead of characters, situations, romance stories and dramatic conflicts it's told as an oral history documentary 10 years after a war between humanity and the living dead. It sounds outrageous and silly, and to a degree it is, but the book is full of so many accuracies about the modern world (and jabs at current political and social phenomena) that it's easy to suspend your disbelief. Each chapter is an account of the war from a different person who lived through it, from people all over the world. It tells a little bit how every country is affected different and what governments do to stop it.

Also, interesting to note is that Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son; and he wrote a satirical zombie book a few years ago call "The Zombie Survival Guide." This book isn't quite satire, unless you can appreciate the metaphorical aspects of government corruption, social apathy and religious extremism. It's very well researched, and would have to be to span the Earth's nations and political situations, but it's also just damn entertaining.

The film rights have already been purchased for the book and it's slated to be made into a movie in 2008. If you're not into the Zombie genre or can't get past the absurdity of it, then you might not like it; but otherwise, the whole concept can pretty much be summed up as "awesome."
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby soxfan364 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:50 pm

That sounds good....

J35J wrote:So... should we treat this like a "real" book of the month club and nominate one of these books for Feb and everyone who wants to join in will have to buy or check out the book and read if for the month of Feb, then we could talk about it as we go along and maybe at the end of the month whoever read the book can then rate it 1-10.......

Jason
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby soxfan364 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:55 pm

I can recommend "The Memory of Running". More of a personal journey, the fictional story of a guy who bikes cross country after learning that his sister has passed away. Popular around here, since he starts off in a local city, East Providence, RI.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Re: Book of the Month Club

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:09 am

josebach wrote:
J35J wrote:
J35J wrote:.... and give at least a little description about the book and what makes it great in your eyes.

Lets get some descriptions on some of these books and tell us what makes them so great......

Wizard's First Rule was the first fantasy book I read that was truly written for adults. These are NOT children's books. With as awesome as the character development, action and romance is (yes, romance), it's actually the philosophy behind the books that make me like them so much. Logic and reason is used by the main character "Richard" for every decision he makes. These books are about morality, but not morality through a religious perspective, but morality through what reason tells us is fair and true. That's why the series is called "Sword of Truth".

I can admit that these books aren't for everyone. First of all, these books are very violent and have a lot of adult themes that some people might find distrubing. There are also a few fantasy cliches in them that some might find unoriginal such as the humble farmer (woods guide) being destined for greatness. On the other hand, everything about the books is so well done and the story is so intricately woven, that the sheer quality of the book makes up for any fantasy themes we may have seen before. Many people including myself feel they're the best fantasy books they've ever read.

The Sword of Truth series is eleven books long, but the first couple books are very much stand alone stories, so by no means should you feel like if you read "Wizard's First Rule" that you will be obligated to read all eleven. If you're a fan of fantasy at all, you owe it to yourself to at least read the first book in the series.

As far as fantasy series go, I finished reading A Feast for Crow's by George R. Martin. The first book of the series is Game of Thrones. I enjoyed these books because the author does not do the classic "good vs. evil" theme. There are lots of shades of grey in the morality of the characters which makes it interesting. Also the author isnt shy about killing main characters off which keeps you guessing.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Book of the Month Club

Postby josebach » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:52 am

Dr. StrangeGlove wrote:As far as fantasy series go, I finished reading A Feast for Crow's by George R. Martin. The first book of the series is Game of Thrones. I enjoyed these books because the author does not do the classic "good vs. evil" theme. There are lots of shades of grey in the morality of the characters which makes it interesting. Also the author isnt shy about killing main characters off which keeps you guessing.

Cool, I may have to look into that. A buddy of mine really likes George Martin also. Terry Goodkind is kind of the same way. Most bad or evil people don't believe they're evil. People rationalize their actions into making them just even though they're so obviously not when looking at them from a third person perspective. That's a pretty recurring theme in the Sword of Truth series. Everything is gray.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:37 pm

soxfan364 wrote:That sounds good....

J35J wrote:So... should we treat this like a "real" book of the month club and nominate one of these books for Feb and everyone who wants to join in will have to buy or check out the book and read if for the month of Feb, then we could talk about it as we go along and maybe at the end of the month whoever read the book can then rate it 1-10.......

Jason

Ok, I think we need someone to nominate a book...... oh ok I'll do it O:-) I will pick someone else to nominate a book next month and then they will pick someone else to nominate a book for the month after, etc, etc.

Since this thread was created because of "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield and because this is the book I am currently reading. I will nominate this book for February. At the end of the month I will pick someone else to nominate a book for March.

Sound good? Bad? Who cares? ;-7

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby 3 run homer » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:58 pm

Pacman wrote:I was always a big Stephen King fan in the 80s and 90s, but haven't been too big on much he's written lately. I suspected that the accident he had in the late 90s (was hit by a van while walking on a road) might have taken a few miles off his literary fastball, thought I did like his conclusion to his Dark Tower series.

Anyway, I just finished "The Cell", which is a couple of years old, and I really liked it. It was like King was back in his "The Stand" form.

The concept: Somebody(thing?) hatches a devestating plot in which every cell phone in existance rings simultaneously, and every person who answers the call basically has their brain erased, and is turned into a murderous zombie.

The book follows a handful of folks who were NOT affected, and their attempt to survive, to figure out exactly what happened... and to find their loved ones...

It's pretty terrific. ;-D

I agree, and i've always shyied away from king's books cause of the cheese factor but, I was in the airport and needed some flying reading material and i found this book rivoting.

2 books i highly recomend
1. Into the Wild
it's a true story of this dude who graduates college donates his $23,000 to charity and sets off to explore the US his car breaks down in the desert and proceeds to travel by foot, it's a quite a journey, his name is chris mccandless

2. Anthony Bourdains "kitchen confidential"
awesome book about his life and becoming a chef and cheffing etc. it's kind of like the fear and loathing of the cooking world. very cool book and great read good flow.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:21 pm

3 run homer wrote:
Pacman wrote:I was always a big Stephen King fan in the 80s and 90s, but haven't been too big on much he's written lately. I suspected that the accident he had in the late 90s (was hit by a van while walking on a road) might have taken a few miles off his literary fastball, thought I did like his conclusion to his Dark Tower series.

Anyway, I just finished "The Cell", which is a couple of years old, and I really liked it. It was like King was back in his "The Stand" form.

The concept: Somebody(thing?) hatches a devestating plot in which every cell phone in existance rings simultaneously, and every person who answers the call basically has their brain erased, and is turned into a murderous zombie.

The book follows a handful of folks who were NOT affected, and their attempt to survive, to figure out exactly what happened... and to find their loved ones...

I agree, and i've always shyied away from king's books cause of the cheese factor but, I was in the airport and needed some flying reading material and i found this book rivoting.

1. Into the Wild
it's a true story of this dude who graduates college donates his $23,000 to charity and sets off to explore the US his car breaks down in the desert and proceeds to travel by foot, it's a quite a journey, his name is chris mccandless

awesome book about his life and becoming a chef and cheffing etc. it's kind of like the fear and loathing of the cooking world. very cool book and great read good flow.

"The Cell" is about zombies? I'm there!

PS- Also read Bourdain's book; excellent read! Who knew a chef could be so badass (and pissed off).

Ever see his show on the Travel channel? He was also in Lebanon when Israel started bombing there; he wrote an excellent article about it, let me see if I can find it.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 3 run homer » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:17 pm

Coppermine wrote:
3 run homer wrote:

1. Into the Wild

"The Cell" is about zombies? I'm there!

PS- Also read Bourdain's book; excellent read! Who knew a chef could be so badass (and pissed off).

Ever see his show on the Travel channel? He was also in Lebanon when Israel started bombing there; he wrote an excellent article about it, let me see if I can find it.

yep it's on the travel channel on monday's at 10 pm est.
awesome show. that guy will eat anything, flipping anything.
he was in africa a couple shows back he and the bush men were out hunting bush men got hungry made a fire fried an egg in the fire no pan or anything it was disgusting to say the least. ;-D
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk