Book of the Month Club - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Book of the Month Club

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Book of the Month Club

Postby J35J » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:15 pm

Ok guys, here is the official book of the month thread. Please post some of your favorite books and give at least a little description about the book and what makes it great in your eyes.

**Lets try not to have 50 people ramble off 50 different books, if someone mentions a book that you have read reply about that book and if you liked it or not.

Maybe someone else might have some better rules or guidelines to follow so we don't just get 100 different books thrown out there?? :-?

Anyway, this isn't the book of the month "good books" club this is the Book of the Month "best books" Club. In other words recommend your favorite books, not just "good" books!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 pm

I recommend Terry Goodkind's entire "Sword of Truth" series starting with book 1: "Wizard's First Rule". I'm not even a huge fantasy buff, but this whole series is even better than Lord of the Rings.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:30 pm

Coppermine wrote:I do have to ask though, I recently heard about a book called "World War Z." Apparently it's a bit choppy, and the writing isn't great, but it's impossible to put down. Anyone read it?

I heard of that one. It's about zombies, but it's written in an aftermath interview style similar to how we would research WWII now. The idea of the presentation intrigued me. Supposed to be entertaining if nothing else.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby J35J » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:37 pm

josebach wrote:I recommend Terry Goodkind's entire "Sword of Truth" series starting with book 1: "Wizard's First Rule". I'm not even a huge fantasy buff, but this whole series is even better than Lord of the Rings.

I like a good fantasy series every now and then. I'm a little behind times but i'm in the middle of Terry Brooks' "The Sword of Shannarah" series.

Anyway, what makes the "Sword of Truth" series so good or different? Could you expand on this, it sounds interesting.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:47 pm

josebach wrote:I recommend Terry Goodkind's entire "Sword of Truth" series starting with book 1: "Wizard's First Rule". I'm not even a huge fantasy buff, but this whole series is even better than Lord of the Rings.

I don't even know who you are anymore! 8-o :-/ :,-(
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pacman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:58 pm

I was always a big Stephen King fan in the 80s and 90s, but haven't been too big on much he's written lately. I suspected that the accident he had in the late 90s (was hit by a van while walking on a road) might have taken a few miles off his literary fastball, thought I did like his conclusion to his Dark Tower series.

Anyway, I just finished "The Cell", which is a couple of years old, and I really liked it. It was like King was back in his "The Stand" form.

The concept: Somebody(thing?) hatches a devestating plot in which every cell phone in existance rings simultaneously, and every person who answers the call basically has their brain erased, and is turned into a murderous zombie.

The book follows a handful of folks who were NOT affected, and their attempt to survive, to figure out exactly what happened... and to find their loved ones...

It's pretty terrific. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:42 pm

knapplc wrote:

I don't even know who you are anymore! 8-o :-/ :,-(

Hey, don't knock it until you've read it! ;-)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:01 pm

Perhaps my favorite modern book is Donna Tartt's "A Secret History."
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Book of the Month Club

Postby J35J » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:06 pm

J35J wrote:.... and give at least a little description about the book and what makes it great in your eyes.

Lets get some descriptions on some of these books and tell us what makes them so great......
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:12 pm

I'd suggest "Among the Thugs", a journalistic account of Man U hooligans that shares some stylistic similarities w/ Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas w/ more booze and less bats. Very entertaining read about fans that make ARod vs. Manny look like the Teletubbies.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk