Best way to expand league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Best way to expand league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best way to expand league?

Postby BravesGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:34 pm

My league mates and I are trying to think of the best way to expand from 12 teams to 14 or 16 teams.

Some noteworthy details: Its a keeper league where each team keeps up to 5 players and the team loses his pick in the draft in which the player kept was taken in the previous year's draft.

One idea we came up with would be for the current teams to make their cuts down to their keepers.

Then we would hold an expansion draft for the four new teams where they will get to pick one player first before the draft day. Maybe a couple of weeks out.

Then the new teams would get an extra pick during rounds 3, 5, 7, 9 (to get their 5 players) to make up for the keepers we got.

The new teams would draft 13, 14, 15, & 16 in order. We would let them draw numbers for spots, randomly assign, or assign spots at a first come first serve basis.

Does that sound about right or is there an easy way to do it?

- I've done some searching, but if you know of a thread that already addresses this, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 47)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best way to expand league?

Postby BritSox » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:39 pm

BravesGuy wrote:My league mates and I are trying to think of the best way to expand from 12 teams to 14 or 16 teams.

Some noteworthy details: Its a keeper league where each team keeps up to 5 players and the team loses his pick in the draft in which the player kept was taken in the previous year's draft.

One idea we came up with would be for the current teams to make their cuts down to their keepers.

Then we would hold an expansion draft for the four new teams where they will get to pick one player first before the draft day. Maybe a couple of weeks out.

Then the new teams would get an extra pick during rounds 3, 5, 7, 9 (to get their 5 players) to make up for the keepers we got.

The new teams would draft 13, 14, 15, & 16 in order. We would let them draw numbers for spots, randomly assign, or assign spots at a first come first serve basis.

- I've done some searching, but if you know of a thread that already addresses this, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

I'd have the expansion draft before choosing keepers. Each team can protect one player, then each expansion team picks one, then each existing team can protect another, and so on until each expansion team has their five keepers. A second player cannot be taken off an existing team, until every existing team has lost one player. Five rounds, so the expansion teams get their equivalent of the five keepers.

Also, expansion teams must have the first four, not the last four picks in the draft. The way you've set up is horribly unfair to the expansion teams, and I doubt you'd get anyone to take one.
Last edited by BritSox on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Re: Best way to expand league?

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:51 pm

BritSox wrote:
BravesGuy wrote:My league mates and I are trying to think of the best way to expand from 12 teams to 14 or 16 teams.

Thanks in advance.

I'd have the expansion draft before choosing keepers. Each team can protect one player, then each expansion team picks one, then each existing team can pick another, and so on until each expansion team has their five keepers. A second player cannot be taken off an existing team, until every existing team has lost one player. Five rounds, so the expansion teams get their equivalent of the five keepers.

Also, expansion teams must have the first four, not the last four picks in the draft. The way you've set up is horribly unfair to the expansion teams, and I doubt you'd get anyone to take one.

I'm 100% in agreement with these comments. I'm one of two expansion teams in an existing keeper this year and what BritSox outlined is almost exactly the way it works. There is no way I would go for your setup...those expansion teams have absolutely no chance to be competetive.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby BigKahuna83 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:19 pm

I agree with the 2 previous posts. If you are going to expand, you need to make the new teams competetive for the health of your league. If they have no chance to compete, you will be looking for new team owners every year.
BigKahuna83
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BravesGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:56 pm

thanks for the input guys. I was just posting an idea another manager in the league came up with.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 47)

Return to Commissioner's Corner