2007 Payroll - Trouble Brewing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

2007 Payroll - Trouble Brewing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2007 Payroll - Trouble Brewing?

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:43 am

They extended Carp & Edmonds, but only signed Ryan Franklin, Adam Kennedy, Russ Springer, & Kip Wells while losing Marquis, Sosa, Suppan, Vizcaino, Weaver, Wilson & Belliard. Granted, many of those losses are players you don't want to bring back, but the fact remains that they really didn't spend any money on new players this off-season.

New stadium
New radio station
Higher ticket prices
No big spending

Why I do get the feeling that this isn't going to go over too well in town?

:-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: 2007 Payroll - Trouble Brewing?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:47 am

StlSluggers wrote:Why I do get the feeling that this isn't going to go over too well in town?

They are getting a free pass cause of the Championship. Still this off-season has been a major disappointment.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:10 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Why I do get the feeling that this isn't going to go over too well in town?

They are getting a free pass cause of the Championship. Still this off-season has been a major disappointment.

I'll say. I'd be real interested to find out how much they were involved - if at all - in the Schmidt negotiations. Three years, $47M seems like one of the more reasonable contracts given out this winter, and I wonder if the Cards even got in on it.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:22 am

The Redbirds' offer to Schmidt is believed between $10 million and $11.5 million a season.

link

That was for a 3 year deal. I don't think they had a chance once the market exploded. Plus I'm not sure how big their interest was since Schmidt is a fly-ball pitcher.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:27 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

I'll say. I'd be real interested to find out how much they were involved - if at all - in the Schmidt negotiations. Three years, $47M seems like one of the more reasonable contracts given out this winter, and I wonder if the Cards even got in on it.

the rumor was they were in the 3/42 range...maybe as high as 3/45. schmidt turned down something higher than 3/47 from the orioles because he wanted to stay on the left coast. the cards probably would have had to come in at 3/50+ to lure him away, assuming the dodgers would top out at 3/47. wolf also reportedly turned down more guaranteed money from the cards to go 'home' to LA.

there was also a rumor in a NY paper the cards offered pettitte a large chunk of money, but he didnt feel comfortable playing for a rival of the astros. i dont know how much stock to put in such rumors.

it has been a disappointing offseason for sure, but i cant really say there was a free agent that got away. i certainly didnt want to pay any of those prices....$10MM a year for suppan is nuts. i dont know that i would have done a whole lot differently...maybe trade chris duncan if the price was right (and replace him with trot nixon?). in years past i was upset the cardinals didnt spend like i wanted them to, but this time i cant really complain.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:51 am

I agree that the prices are crazy, but with the new TV deal, we need to face the reality that those prices are probably here to stay. Teams are going to have to start spending if they want to get the players. It's that simple.

Of course, the higher the top-end contracts, the bigger the opportunity to find discounts in the middle ground. While I don't doubt that Jocketty can do that, I would still like to see them grab something a little more sure if they have the chance.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:53 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:[wolf also reportedly turned down more guaranteed money from the cards to go 'home' to LA.

I read the same thing. The Cards and Cubs had very similar deals out to Wolf and he took less money to go to L.A. And he was one I thought the Cards might be able to spend a little less on because of his injury history. :-t
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:35 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I agree that the prices are crazy, but with the new TV deal, we need to face the reality that those prices are probably here to stay. Teams are going to have to start spending if they want to get the players. It's that simple.

sort of...this year we have seen higher prices AND longer contracts. 4 year deals for guys like lilly and suppan....5 year deals for pierre and matthews jr. i can see higher prices lasting but i think longer contracts are a case of temporary irrational exuberance. thats why i was in favor of 'over paying' for schmidt. that would have only been a three year deal.

you are right though...the cards will have to start spending at some point whether that is taking someone else's bad contract or biting the bullet and signing a high price (over priced) player.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:52 pm

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby catch212 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:13 pm

The cardinals will have to spend eventually yes, but why rush out and sign a guy like Barry Zito for $126 mil? it just doesn't make any since for me to spend spend spend, when in actuality we don't need to at this point, plus next offseason we need money to pay Buehlre right? haha
catch212
T-Ball Trainer

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals