Rules for keeper league I want to start - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Rules for keeper league I want to start

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rules for keeper league I want to start

Postby SeaDog7774 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:58 pm

I want to start a keeper league and came up with this basic framework. Would appreciate as much input as possible!! League would be run through yahoo and would have a message board set up on proboards. Here goes!!!

Roto league
10-12 teams
Positions: C, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS, 3 OF, 2 Utils, 2 SP, 2 RP, 3P and 8 bench spots

Categories: R, HR, SB, RBI, Avg, OPS, W, SV, K, Whip, Era, Holds

Max Games Played: C, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS all 162 games, Utils- 324 games, OF- 486 games, Pitchers- would be 1450-1500 IP

Keepers: 5 keepers per team with no more than 1 keeper per position ex: only 1 SP, 1 RP, 1 OF. Keepers kept for no longer than 5 year period.

Minor League Squad: Would be inactive and kept listed on the league site. 4 players each team . Would be drafted after Major draft and be in reverse order of that draft for first year. TBD for following years. Minor qualifications would be 150 AB and 50 IP. To make room for call-ups would have to drop active player from team.
Well thats it let me know what you think.
SeaDog7774
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jtrain19 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:31 pm

your minor league qual. is a less then 150 major league ABs? and less then 50 major league IP? If so, that sounds good.

Also i dont think you need a max number of games for position players (i dont mind so much about IP for pitchers, but still dont see it necessary) because if a game gets rained out and a gm notices prior to the start, and he places his back up in and the next day he starter goes back in for a double header, why should he be penalized for catching that? If it happend several times he could lose several games. All these games would come in the final week of the season, meaning your asking a gm to make a decision in the middle of the season if he should bench someone for a rainout. Sure there is the possibility that there are days you dont have anyone playing that position at all one day, but i'd feel much better as a gm knowing i never had to worry about not starting someone because i may go over. just my opinion...

lastly, your keeper rule, since you clump LF, CF, and RF together as OF, you should be allowed to keep as many OFs as you want. Maybe you say you can't keep two CFs, even thou you use OF. ex no having andruw jones and vernon wells as OF keepers. But jones and Vlad would be fine because differnt positions. And maybe capping the SP at 2. The other positions, i think it is a great idea only one. but what if a gm has a great rotation and a terrible offense. They basically lost a yr in the league because they need to start rebuilding.

Will you require them to keep a minimum of 5 as well? if they only keep 3, because you stick with your rule for 1 keeper per postion, do they get more 1st round picks? I would see no point in keeping a ad player just because you can't keep a 2nd OF or SP...

Hope that helps.....
could you tell me when you are ganna be able to start that league? because i would like to do one as well.. and i want to do it asap... thankx...
jtrain19
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SeaDog7774 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Thanks for your thoughts jtrain they make alot of sense. As far as starting it, it would be after I get some feedback on this so I can firm up my set-up and also need to get a gauge on interest for people who want to be involved. I want no more than 12 teams for now might consider expanding in future as determined by myself and other owners who wuld be in the league. As for the rookie thing the max is the 150 and 50 after that they would lose their status for minors and would have to be called up or cut.
SeaDog7774
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:03 pm

I would up max games to 165. It gives just enough room for someone to accidentally play someone at the wrong position, but not enough extra games to encourage shenanigans. Minor issue.

I would add another P spot and another SP. WIth 5 RP, I estimate I would have about 300-400 innings covered there. That means I would need another 6 SP (minimum). If I need to pitch more than 2 on a day (say 4, and it will happen), I will have to seriously move the RP around. Having 3 SP will reduce that as would another P position. I don't like it when I have to constantly rotate my pitchers around and make decisions as to which RP I lose for a day. It is more of a pain than a strategic decision.

Keepers - I wouldn't restrict by position - it just gets too difficult to manage. I do like it when I am required to take a minimum of one position player and one pitcher. I don't feel that requiring everyone to take 5 different positions is quite fair, nor will it be easy. Where does Figgins play? Or Berkman? Or Papelbon? It just seems like a potential problem that I wouldn't want as a commish.

Categories are good and I like the extra utility position.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SeaDog7774 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:54 pm

I was wondering if I shuld add to the pitchers myself so that confirms it for me. I can also see where the idea of limiting keepers by position isn't a great idea, I was just worried about someone hitting on a position in a draft then hording it.
SeaDog7774
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jtrain19 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:07 pm

the thing about hitting a positon in the draft and then holding is only ok for grabbing 3 guys (say your 1b and 2 1bs at the util) so anymore than that they would have to trade.. Maybe if your 2nd guessing that, your rule could be--- if you keep them they need to hold a starting job.. Meaning all 5 players you could would have to be able to get into the line up at the same time. so if you have pujols (1b) Figgins (2b, 3b, OF) Berkman (1b, OF) Young (SS) and zimmerman (3b) they all are in the starting line up.. but if you replace figgins with hanley ramirez (SS) then you would not be able to keep either him or young because they both couldnt start at the same time... I understand the 2nd util right now, but for the sake of my theory pretend you only have 1, just so you understand the concept..

I also just meant in general, when can you make the league, i'd like to make my own, but im so anxious to do it.. i cant find a site that has started yet...

and i understand your minors now... i was thinkin they couldnt be on the minor league roster if they had more than 150abs last yr at the major level... such as a late season call up that isn't starting this yr.. you know what i mean??
jtrain19
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:16 pm

Sorry we were having problems last night, SeaDog7774. You should be able to post normally now. :-)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby cy33 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:00 pm

If this is a mixed league and only 10-12 teams, the rosters are going to be stacked.

I would consider starting at least 4 OFers and a MI and CI. And 9 Pitchers. I wouldnt have a RP or SP designation either. This gives unfair advantages to people if they get a guy like papelbon.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.
cy
cy33
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner