Mo Vaughn considering retirement. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mo Vaughn considering retirement.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mo Vaughn considering retirement.

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:56 pm

Mo Vaughn - 1B - New York Mets Oct 24

Mo Vaughn, troubled by a arthritic left knee, may announce his retirement this winter.
Since he has a year remaining on his contract, Mo may do the Albert Belle thing and spend the year on the 60-day disabled list. However, it appears tthat his career is over. "I've been preparing for it for a while now, and I've had a lot of time to think about it," Vaughn said. "If it has to be that way, I'm going to be fine. I'm doing a lot of different things already. Either way I'm going to be all right." Source: Boston Herald

If he'd retire, it would save the Mets some money.......
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mo Vaughn considering retirement.

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:17 am

Madison wrote:

Mo Vaughn, troubled by a arthritic left knee, may announce his retirement this winter.
Since he has a year remaining on his contract, Mo may do the Albert Belle thing and spend the year on the 60-day disabled list. However, it appears tthat his career is over. "I've been preparing for it for a while now, and I've had a lot of time to think about it," Vaughn said. "If it has to be that way, I'm going to be fine. I'm doing a lot of different things already. Either way I'm going to be all right." Source: Boston Herald

does he have a choice.... Last I heard, After the "8th" opinion is that he was done physically.
Well he was done physically a couple of years ago, but that is a different story.
I guess he could just ride out his contract, or is he a FA? I should check but I am to lazy . :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby eftda » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:11 am

good
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:27 am

I hope he stays around on the dl. Maybe one day theMets will learn how not to throw money around on the senior citizen tour. Vaughn and Glavine. That is a cute pair. ;-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DK » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:11 am

Alright, considering the Mets are my bag, let me go off on this one:

When we signed Mo Vaughn, he was good. he was coming off some great seasons, and looked to produce for us as well. then everyone realized how big he was.

Mo Vaughn had the 2nd fastest swing ever recorded at 81.9 MPH. first was mark mcgwire. I thought originally we signed him a little high at 17 Mil, but i was hoping it'd work out.

Then Fat Struck.

Mo Vaughn, despite his attempts, will never play in the majors again. those knees have been holding him up his entire career, and even more with that lean-in batting stance he has. an arthritic knee is no joke for a 260 lb. man. I know he tried to slim down in the offseason, but by then i was tired of his attempts.

Mo Vaughn must retire. He can go to another team, but i'd rather not have him on the Mets. We're turning young, with all our prospects. we don't need another veteran. We have Piazza and Floyd to teach the hitters, and Leiter and Track to teach the pitchers. Glavine could rebound from this season. I know he's getting older, but adjusting to playing for your former division rival is hard. I think he could do it this year, or he could pull a Vaughn and flop again.

In conclusion, Mo, don't come back. if you do, come back at 200 pounds so your knee can hold you up.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:51 am

DK wrote:Alright, considering the Mets are my bag, let me go off on this one:

When we signed Mo Vaughn, he was good. he was coming off some great seasons, and looked to produce for us as well. then everyone realized how big he was.

Correction: The Mets didn't sign Vaughn. He left Boston to sign with the Angels for a boatload of money and pretty much got hurt immediately. The Mets traded Appier for him in a mutual salary dump.

When the Mets got him, they knew they were getting an old player, with a slower bat, and many injury problems. He didn't have any real good years after he left the Sox.

Boy, I'll always remember Mo for that 95 year. What a year...
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Mo Vaughn considering retirement.

Postby Madison » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:38 am

wrveres wrote:
Madison wrote:

does he have a choice.... Last I heard, After the "8th" opinion is that he was done physically.
Well he was done physically a couple of years ago, but that is a different story.
I guess he could just ride out his contract, or is he a FA? I should check but I am to lazy . :-)

Vaughn is under contract. He can sit back and collect the money. Didn't you read the article? It's right there. It's that "Karma" thing again, isn't it? :-D

Here, I'll show you again:

Madison wrote:Since he has a year remaining on his contract, Mo may do the Albert Belle thing and spend the year on the 60-day disabled list.
Source: Boston Herald.

Got it now :-D ? Lol. :*) :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:52 am

I remember how excited everyone in Queens was when we signed him...and how thrilled everyone will be if insurance starts paying his salary.

What a mistake. 17 million dollars a year. 29 total homeruns. We have paid the guy almost 2 million dollars per homerun. Ugh.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:53 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I remember how excited everyone in Queens was when we signed him...and how thrilled everyone will be if insurance starts paying his salary.

What a mistake. 17 million dollars a year. 29 total homeruns. We have paid the guy almost 2 million dollars per homerun. Ugh.

The Mets never signed him. They traded for him, unless my memory is completely whacked.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:05 pm

I know they never signed him. It just came out that way. They traded Appier for him. Ape was making 10 million p/y and the way the fans justified Mo's salary was by saying "it's only 7 million more! How can we lose."

Well, I guess there was a way we could lose.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers