What's the best way to do a keeper league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What's the best way to do a keeper league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the best way to do a keeper league?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 pm

My buddies and I have had a league for about 7-8 years now and have always done a re-draft (auction-style). For '07 we're gonna switch it to a keeper league.

The hot debate right now is whether or not each owner keeps as many players as he wants with no time limit on how many years he can keep them, or to just keep a handful of players and have 3 or 5 year limits.

What is everyone else's experience with keeper leagues? I know every league is different, but I'm just looking for ideas on how best to do it and what kind of things to avoid. It would be nice to see our league do it the right way and since our debate's still ongoing, all opinions are being considered.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukjohn » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:14 pm

In my opinion you HAVE to have a limit on both number of players and the length of how long you can keep them. I find the best way is to have around 3-5 keepers with somewhere around 5 years to keep them. You should make it more expensive to keep them every year though so you can't keep Pujois or Wright for $1 every year.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:17 pm

The proposal being floated by the Commish is that each player's value is $5 more than you drafted him for and it goes up incrementally each year. So if you got Pujols this year for $60, he'd be $65 next year and $70 in '09 if you'd carried him over from the previous year.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby lsommerer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:55 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:The proposal being floated by the Commish is that each player's value is $5 more than you drafted him for and it goes up incrementally each year. So if you got Pujols this year for $60, he'd be $65 next year and $70 in '09 if you'd carried him over from the previous year.

That's how we do it (except we use $4). We don't limit how many players you can keep, but because your payroll goes up by $104 each year you have an effective limit.

This year we're going to announce our keepers in 2 stages (we think this will be more interesting). 1 month before the auction you have to announce half (by salary) of your keepers. This gives you some time to see a at least part of what the other owners are going to do. 2 weeks later you have to announce the rest of the players you are keeping (upto, but not over the dollar amount of the first group).

Well see how that goes.
lsommerer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiderrob1616 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:22 pm

do a dynasty

u jus keep ur whole team from year to year
raiderrob1616
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby PSU4ever11 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:40 am

The way we do our keeper league is we take the estimated values of each player from a source( like mlb.com or The Fantasy Baseball Guide). Then we have a cap of 100$, You can sign as many players as you can fit under the cap for that amout. We have rookies at 3$ to reward people who take the time to do a little scouting and keep a roster spot for a guy who might not be in the bigs yet. Once every team makes there signings, each owner can put a "franchise tag" on one player, this means that this player cannot be resigned by anyone going into next years draft, but does not count against your cap. The tag creates alot more turnover(for example Santan, Beltran,Vlad, Crawfor, and Jeter will all be available to be drafted this year). We have been doing this for about 3 years and it is very fun. I don't know if explained it to a "t" so i'll be happy to answer any questions.
PSU4ever11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nerfherders » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:34 pm

If you want something a little more intensive consider a contract league. Each team has salary cap (in our case, $82). A player is signed for up to seven years, and the contract is the square of his contract length, so 3 years is $9, 4 years 16$, etc etc. Draft is straight up (no auction). Theres also a 10 player prospect pool for each team that are free as long as they are left in the pool, but can be called up at anytime and given contracts.

We have been doing this one for five years while tweaking the rules a bit here and there. Trading has been very prevalent and team turnover is high. I am not a big trader but I have only two players from my orginal 2002 draft.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Return to Commissioner's Corner