RIP Scott "Bam Bam" Bigelow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

RIP Scott "Bam Bam" Bigelow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Pacman wrote:Man, it might be worth trying to compile a list of WWE wrestlers who have died too young in the last decade or so... although there's probably one already on the Web somewhere....


Let's see... I'll start with the ones that jump out at me.

Bam Bam
Rick Rude
Eddie Guererro
Big Boss Man
Owen Hart
Miss Elizabeth
One of the Road Warriors
Brian Pilman
British Bulldog
Curt Henning



geez that's just the ones that jump out at me..... that's too many to have died before their time.


:-/


Andre the Giant
Dino Bravo
The Road Warrior
Crash Holly
Big John stud


didnt Luger die too? and Jake the Snake?
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:29 pm

Jake the Snake probably wishes he were dead. Last I saw of him, he was a train wreck of a human being. Luger's not far behind. If I'm not mistaken, the police took Luger in for questioning concerning the death of Miss Elizabeth...

He was charged with 14 drug possession counts, 13 of them felonies. He was released the following day on a bail of $27,500 USD. Hulette's death was eventually ruled accidental. Luger pled guilty to the charges on February 3, 2005. He was given a $1,000 fine, sentenced to five years probation and required to submit to periodic drug testing.


:-t

However....

On September 28, 2006, Luger appeared on Praise the Lord, the flagship talk program of the Trinity Broadcasting Network, and declared himself a born again Christian. In an interview conducted by Sting (the host of the program), an emotional Luger discussed the downward turn of his career and personal life -- including the events surrounding Hulette's death -- and how it led to his religious conversion.


So, perhaps there's a silver lining there.
Image
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Posts: 1785
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Here, there and everywhere

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:10 pm

According to about.com

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died Since 1985 Before the Age of 55
Chris Von Erich - 21
Mike Von Erich - 23
The Renegade - 23
Louie Spiccoli - 27
Art Barr - 28
Gino Hernandez - 29
Jay Youngblood - 30
Rick McGraw - 30
Joey Marella - 30
Ed Gatner - 31
Buzz Sawyer - 32
Crash Holly - 32
Kerry Von Erich - 33
D.J. Peterson - 33
Eddie Gilbert - 33
Owen Hart - 33
Chris Candido - 33
Adrian Adonis - 34
Gary Albright - 34
Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34
Yokozuna - 34
Big Dick Dudley - 34
Brian Pillman - 35
Marianna Komlos - 35
Pitbull #2 - 36
The Wall/Malice - 36
Leroy Brown - 38
Mark Curtis - 38
Eddie Guerrero - 38
Davey Boy Smith - 39
Johnny Grunge - 39
Vivian Vachon - 40
Jeep Swenson - 40
Brady Boone - 40
Terry Gordy - 40
Bertha Faye - 40
Billy Joe Travis - 40
Larry Cameron - 41
Rick Rude - 41
Randy Anderson - 41
Bruiser Brody - 42
Miss Elizabeth - 42
Big Boss Man - 42
Earthquake - 42
Ray Candy - 43
Dino Bravo - 44
Curt Hennig - 44
Bam Bam Bigelow - 45
Jerry Blackwell - 45
Junkyard Dog - 45
Hercules - 45
Andre The Giant - 46
Big John Studd - 46
Chris Adams - 46
Mike Davis - 46
Hawk - 46
Dick Murdoch - 49
Jumbo Tsuruta - 49
Rocco Rock - 49
Image
Image
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1583
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ole Kentucky

Postby Pacman » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:27 pm

1337_Dude wrote:According to about.com

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died Since 1985 Before the Age of 55
Chris Von Erich - 21
Mike Von Erich - 23
The Renegade - 23
Louie Spiccoli - 27
Art Barr - 28
Gino Hernandez - 29
Jay Youngblood - 30
Rick McGraw - 30
Joey Marella - 30
Ed Gatner - 31
Buzz Sawyer - 32
Crash Holly - 32
Kerry Von Erich - 33
D.J. Peterson - 33
Eddie Gilbert - 33
Owen Hart - 33
Chris Candido - 33
Adrian Adonis - 34
Gary Albright - 34
Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34
Yokozuna - 34
Big Dick Dudley - 34
Brian Pillman - 35
Marianna Komlos - 35
Pitbull #2 - 36
The Wall/Malice - 36
Leroy Brown - 38
Mark Curtis - 38
Eddie Guerrero - 38
Davey Boy Smith - 39
Johnny Grunge - 39
Vivian Vachon - 40
Jeep Swenson - 40
Brady Boone - 40
Terry Gordy - 40
Bertha Faye - 40
Billy Joe Travis - 40
Larry Cameron - 41
Rick Rude - 41
Randy Anderson - 41
Bruiser Brody - 42
Miss Elizabeth - 42
Big Boss Man - 42
Earthquake - 42
Ray Candy - 43
Dino Bravo - 44
Curt Hennig - 44
Bam Bam Bigelow - 45
Jerry Blackwell - 45
Junkyard Dog - 45
Hercules - 45
Andre The Giant - 46
Big John Studd - 46
Chris Adams - 46
Mike Davis - 46
Hawk - 46
Dick Murdoch - 49
Jumbo Tsuruta - 49
Rocco Rock - 49



You know.... doesn't the above list kind of suggest that maybe pro wrestling needs to be looked into?

If that many prominent pro-baseball, -hockey, -football, -basketball, -soccer, etc.... etc... players croaked in their 20s, 30s and 40s over a 20-year period, wouldn't there be congressional hearings or something?

Maybe I'm wrong here... just seems like an obvious problem (particularly while the WWE continues to make billions of dollars) that isn't really getting much attention.

---

I'd forgotten about Rick McGraw (good wrestler in the 80s, for a small guy) and Chris Candido (former partner of Sunny -- who was really the first WWE "Diva" before the term was coined). Actually Sunny is still alive, but SHE too has had terrible health problems and looks pretty awful now.


Pretty depressing....




Lastly, as pro wrestling talk circles here from time to time, I wonder if I'm possibly the oldest of the old-school WWE (formerly WWF and WWWF) fans in the Cafe. I'm 42, and I used to watch wrestling back in the mid 70s with: George the Animal Steel, Ivan Putski, Ken Patera, Superstar Billy Graham, Chief Jay Strongbow and Bruno Sanmartino... it was pretty frikkin good back then... ;-D

Anyone else go as far back as I do?????



peace


-Pac
Image
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2569
Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Birthplace of the US Navy

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:58 pm

You've got me. I've been watching since I was little, but I'm only 21.
Image
Image
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1583
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ole Kentucky

Postby speedy27 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:53 pm

wow...i had no idea so many of the notable wrestling stars from the day have passed away...

some of my all time favs along with some of the above deceased were

The Iron Sheik - i loved the tapping of the boot
Kabooki
Brutis Beefcake
Sting
The 4 Horseman

man i could go on and on!

RIP Bam Bam
Image
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2792
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 30 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:41 pm

Pacman...I'm a young 41 and remember Saturday mornings throughout the early '80s. Samartino was an announcer by then. Remember when Vince McMahon was just the interviewer, always stoic in the face of the funny-ass wrestlers and managers he was interviewing? Classic.

My faves were Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka and Adraina Adonis (no, not Adorable Adrian lol). Also the Wild Samoans, Tony Garea and Rick Martel and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine

To me the scariest wrestler was Killer Khan. That guy chased me in my nightmares!

Image

The list above is depressing. How did Curt Henning die?

Lastly, to all of you guys here. I have never said this before but I will now, what the heck...

You're all a bunch of pencil-necked geeks.




Image
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3219
(Past Year: 279)
Joined: 30 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:51 am

Pacman wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:According to about.com

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died Since 1985 Before the Age of 55
Chris Von Erich - 21
Mike Von Erich - 23
The Renegade - 23
Louie Spiccoli - 27
Art Barr - 28
Gino Hernandez - 29
Jay Youngblood - 30
Rick McGraw - 30
Joey Marella - 30
Ed Gatner - 31
Buzz Sawyer - 32
Crash Holly - 32
Kerry Von Erich - 33
D.J. Peterson - 33
Eddie Gilbert - 33
Owen Hart - 33
Chris Candido - 33
Adrian Adonis - 34
Gary Albright - 34
Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34
Yokozuna - 34
Big Dick Dudley - 34
Brian Pillman - 35
Marianna Komlos - 35
Pitbull #2 - 36
The Wall/Malice - 36
Leroy Brown - 38
Mark Curtis - 38
Eddie Guerrero - 38
Davey Boy Smith - 39
Johnny Grunge - 39
Vivian Vachon - 40
Jeep Swenson - 40
Brady Boone - 40
Terry Gordy - 40
Bertha Faye - 40
Billy Joe Travis - 40
Larry Cameron - 41
Rick Rude - 41
Randy Anderson - 41
Bruiser Brody - 42
Miss Elizabeth - 42
Big Boss Man - 42
Earthquake - 42
Ray Candy - 43
Dino Bravo - 44
Curt Hennig - 44
Bam Bam Bigelow - 45
Jerry Blackwell - 45
Junkyard Dog - 45
Hercules - 45
Andre The Giant - 46
Big John Studd - 46
Chris Adams - 46
Mike Davis - 46
Hawk - 46
Dick Murdoch - 49
Jumbo Tsuruta - 49
Rocco Rock - 49



You know.... doesn't the above list kind of suggest that maybe pro wrestling needs to be looked into?


I think a good deal of wrestlers, past and present, are/were hooked on painkillers. Case in point: Eddie Guerrero. Sure, wrestling is fake, but that doesn't mean some of the spots are. In addition, you also look at the workload upon many wrestlers over the years, especially in the WWE, where the company tours nationwide, worldwide even. Such stress does take a toll on a wrestler's health sooner or later, especially with heavy painkiller usage.

You may recall that in the mid-90's that Vince McMahon was under a lot of fire for allegedly distributing steroids around the locker room, only to be acquitted of all charges.

As for Bam Bam, I read that diabetes could've had a cause to his death, but he was historically a drug addict himself.

Y's Guy wrote:How did Curt Henning die?


Supposedly a cocaine overdose, but it's been said that over his career, he had juiced up on steroids and taken painkillers frequently.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21885
(Past Year: 623)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not nineteen forever

Postby Pablo975 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:03 am

I was at Smackdown/ECW tonight and yeah.....some of the boys are HUGE.

If you were watching ECW and saw the "If Lashley Wins, We Riot" sign, that was my brother, and the "Mr. Sandman, Bring Me A Beer" was his GFs. :*)

It was a decent show, but I have seen better from the Smackdown roster. Honestly, the most recent house show was better.

To bring this thread back from hijack land, Bam Bam's passing is sad. I hate to hear about the guys passing so young. :-t
Image

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 969
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mobile, AL

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:18 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Y's Guy wrote:How did Curt Henning die?


Supposedly a cocaine overdose, but it's been said that over his career, he had juiced up on steroids and taken painkillers frequently.


Didn't Henning have back trouble from all the years of doing the Perfectplex? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. I just can't remember if the article was a work or not.
Image
Image
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1583
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ole Kentucky

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Jul. 26
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(4:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(9:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact