Cross Country Live Draft - Looking for Suggestions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Cross Country Live Draft - Looking for Suggestions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cross Country Live Draft - Looking for Suggestions

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:07 pm

Here is the situation:

I live in Phoenix and plan on doing my first live draft this year. By life draft, I mean people come to my house, not a Yahoo "live" draft.

My main problem is that 5 of the people that play live in Indiana.

I am looking for suggestions on how to best bring them into the home to participate.

My thoughts so far:

Buy the CBS Sportline live draft package with the draft board and stickers.

Setup a webcam and point it at the board. Serve the feed to my friends in Indiana. Setup a live voice chat channel (I own a Ventrilo channel already for internet gaming). Everyone views the webcam to see the draft board, and I have a live microphone setup so they can hear the conversation in the room as it progresses.

Problems with this:

2 of them are still on dialup, live feed of both voice and video would kill them.

I don't own a webcam, and would have to pony up for that as well as the draftkit. (not really a big deal)

Has anyone tried anything like this in the past? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lsommerer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:09 pm

Could the people in Indiana get together at a home with broadband? At least the the people on dialup. Ideally, they could find some somewhere to borrow a video projector from for the evening and show the webfeed on a larger screen.

If they can get together, you might be better off with a simple phone call rather than streaming the audio. That way you can easily have conversations both ways.

Another possibility would be to forget the video entirely and just have a board in each location and the phone. You could update at both ends as you go.

If you do decide to go with the webcam, many newer digital cameras will work as a webcam. You might ask your peeps if they have one.

Just some thoughts...
lsommerer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks for the thoughts.

The only problem with the phone call is that this could take a bit of time, and a 5 hour long distance call is going to be a bit of a cost, and I dont have a phone with a speaker phone, unless I use my cell, and we all know how good those speakers are on a cell phone.

Good idea about the digital camera used as a webcam, I just got the wife one for Christmas, and I am sure it has that feature on it
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dmendro » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:08 pm

We had two remote people for our auction draft last year, so we had our fastest typer in an AIM chat rooom with them and kept relaying values to them. This year they are driving to Chicago for the draft.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jetlag » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:40 am

if they have a broadband connection you could hook up a skype connection (internet phone) and that would be free if its skype to skype. no problem.

http://skype.com/
jetlag
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner