Return to Minor League & College Baseball

T.Snider vs. B.Rowell

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

make-up

Postby King Bay » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:17 pm

I am partial to Snider as well...
Surprisingly, the baseball minds i respect the most are partial to Rowell
I see Snider putting up a .300 35-40hr line in his prime
I think Rowell could end up jacking 50 and stealing 10 with a .280 but I'm not sold on him living up to his potential.
Snider's make-up has me sold
Rowell's make-up....I haven't heard anything
anyone?
baseball is a year round sport
King Bay
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:26 pm

Rowell hit three HR in almost 200 ab last year.His power has a long ways to go.Snider hit 11 in 190 AB and had a .970 OPS as a 18 year old.I guess everyone is entitled to their on opinion but every baseball mind I trust says that Snider is a much more complete package hitting wise.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby denvermax » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:14 am

go with snider. i can almost guarantee you that hes gonna make it big.
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:45 am

TurdFerguson wrote:Rowell hit three HR in almost 200 ab last year.His power has a long ways to go.Snider hit 11 in 190 AB and had a .970 OPS as a 18 year old.I guess everyone is entitled to their on opinion but every baseball mind I trust says that Snider is a much more complete package hitting wise.

If I remember right, Rowell had a rough 75 power rating on the scouts 80 scale...at 18, I think his Slg % in the last 45 or so games speaks for itself. These two are interchangeable in my opinion. 2007 should be somewhat telling.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:09 pm

You guys should definitely continue to base a guys power off his half-season debut. Seriously. Great idea.

In terms of overall power CURRENTLY, Snider and Rowell are nearly identical. In terms of power potential, Rowell is a good amount ahead of Snider. At 6'5" and just 200 pounds, Rowell could afford to add close to 30 pounds of muscle to his frame. With a sweet swing that puts natural loft and tons of backspin on the ball, Rowell could be a SERIOUS long-ball threat. I've heard 50 homer potential, which is a bit absurd considering he's just 18, but it's still been thrown out there. Snider will obviously continue to develop, but he's not going to get any extra help from his body, which is already very mature for his age. Also, his swing has a slight uppercut, something which worries people. He may be able to get away with a swing like that now, but as he gets to higher levels, pitchers will exploit his uppercut and his average will fall significantly.

Rowell's ability to stay at 3B will depend on how much weight he puts on and how it affects his speed. He has average glovework and has good instincts at the hot corner. He comes through the ball very well, has a good arm, and moves well laterally. If he can add weight without slowing down much, he should be able to stay at 3B for at least the first third of his career. If not, a move to 1B is probable, where his value will take a hit, but if he lives up to his potential, it won't matter much.

My main point: Everyone values Snider far more than Rowell, but both posted similar numbers outside of the home run total, and Snider is a far more polished bat than Rowell. Rowell has better raw tools, nor is it particularly close, than Snider; more power, better hitter. It is not an easy decision at all, but if you want a guy with good upside and average risk, go with Snider; if you want a guy with tremendous upside and high risk, take Rowell.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:10 pm

Another interesting point: Rowell is a full baseball year younger than Snider. Though they are really just seven months apart, Rowell will play the entire 2007 season at age 18, while Snider turns 19 in February.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TurdFerguson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:58 pm

Ive read no such things about him having an uppercut swing.Everything Ive read says that he will hit for average at the next level and has a great swing.I also don't think anyone was comparing their half season power totals.It was just to show Rowell has a ways to go as far as power.Snider is already there.I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby brewcrewreview.com » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Put me down for a seat on the Travis Snider bandwagon as well.

I really think he's gonna be a corner outfield all-star at the MLB level some day.

Rowell, has the potential to be, but I think he's behind Snider as a complete hitter. Also, Baseball America said that Rowell has an ego comparable to his idol, Barry Bonds. Snider's makeup is said to be off the charts.

This tidbit seals the deal for me, between the two, although I think both are good bets to be similar players.
brewcrewreview.com
College Coach
College Coach

Postby High Heater » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:02 am

i really really really like Travis Snider myself. kid reminds me ALOT of Billy Butler personaly. i think he's gonna be good but hes gotta watch his weight. i have seen reports of him reaching 260 or close to it recently. and he needs to be around where he was drafted at 240 or 230 if possible.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball