Two Up, Two Down - Center Field Edition - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Two Up, Two Down - Center Field Edition

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Ripping? I did not consider that ripping at all. I am glad to see I made a few people upset with my writing. ;-D I honestly expected more people to be upset over Vernon Wells then Ichiro though. My goal was to have about 20 replies, but with the server move, I guess that is out of question, but oh well. B-)

First one main thing about my drafting style. I actually believe that winning a 5x5 roto league means you were ultra competitive in 2 main categories. Batting average and WHIP. If you can compete for a top 3 spot in those categories, in most cases you actually have a good chance to win the league.

I still stand by my earlier statement that Ichiro is not top 40 value, even with his value being top 20 the last 2 years. I usually see Ichiro go in the 2nd round or so, and that is just way too early for me to jump on him. The average is great like I stated earlier, but he is a killer on the power and RBI numbers. Personally I will not consider Ichiro til round 4, and I have never seen him available in Round 4 either though. My big problem with drafting Ichiro is that you have to back it up with huge power from several other spots, and I am talking about 35+ power. You can find a hard time finding that power later in the draft when you grabbed an outfielder that is going to hurt you in power cats earlier in the draft.

I am still taking the big boppers with some good average behind them early on, and then later on grab me a duo of Duffy, Dave Roberts, Lofton, or Taveras to keep me competitive in steals for my 3rd or 4th OF position. I can take Lofton and only play him verse righties and fill in with Taveras when Lofton is playing the lefties or a tough righty, and get a player with 40+ steals potential, a couple of homers, 50 RBIs, 90-100 runs scored, and an average very close to .300. And that production is eerily close to what Ichiro will give you in the 3rd round, and I got it from 2 players taken after Round 15.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:54 am

I stand by my Patterson pick in the bust draft. B-)
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Re: Two Up, Two Down - Center Field Edition

Postby EvSolo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:53 pm

Just wanted to bump this after another studly year from Ichiro. I hope i steal him in the fourth round again.

And after just re-reading some of the earlier posts, the arguments that you dont draft someone who "hurts" you in categories early is an incorrect one IMO. he might hurt you in RBI's, but 70 isnt so bad, and making up RB's and HR's later in the draft is much easier than trying to make up AVG and Steals later in drafts
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Article Discussions