Astros sign Williams to extension - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Houston Astros

Astros sign Williams to extension

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mad'sWife » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:39 am

10/22/2003 6:22 PM ET
Skipper signed through 2005 with the additional year
By Matthew Leach and Alyson Footer / MLB.com

Manager Jimy Williams was signed to a one-year contract extension Wednesday. (AP Photo)

The Astros now know that the two most visible members of their management team will be in place for the next two years. Less than a week after general manager Gerry Hunsicker signed a one-year contract extension, manager Jimy Williams did the same on Wednesday.
Like Hunsicker, Williams was already under contract for 2004 -- the extension provides him the security of a deal through the '05 campaign.

"I appreciate the opportunity and I have really enjoyed being in Houston and working for the Astros," Williams said in a statement. "I'm looking forward to getting started in 2004."

Houston finished 87-75 in 2003, one game behind the Cubs in the NL Central. That was a three-game improvement over the Astros' 84-78 mark in 2002, when they finished 13 games behind St. Louis. In two seasons at the helm in Houston, Williams carries a 171-153 record.

Williams has spent 11 seasons as a Major League manager, helming the Blue Jays and Red Sox before coming to Houston after the 2001 season. He sports a career record of 866-746 (.557) and ranks seventh among active managers in wins. Williams led the Red Sox to playoff appearances in both 1998 and '99. He won his 800th game on May 13 in a 6-3 victory over the Pirates at PNC Park.

"It's been our practice to address the manager's situation a year prior to its expiration," Hunsicker said. "It was something we wanted to address in a timely manner.

"I believe Jimy has done a solid job for the organization and we are pleased to be able to give him this opportunity."

The Astros remained in contention throughout the season despite a recurring groin injury to staff ace Roy Oswalt. Williams made deft use of a deep bullpen, as the Astros posted the NL's second-best relief ERA.

We either make ourselves happy or miserable.

The amount of work is the same.
Mad'sWife
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:44 am

What can i say? he did well, he deserved his extension, like Hunsicker.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Houston Astros