Ibanez a proven commodity in left - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Kansas City Royals

Ibanez a proven commodity in left

Moderators: joshparrish, prodpaul, Baseball Moderators

Postby Mad'sWife » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:37 am

10/22/2003 12:20 PM ET
Free agent left fielder wants to stay in KC
By Robert Falkoff / MLB.com

Who's on first for the Royals?
Relaford gets second chance
Berroa finds a home at shortstop
Randa's the man at third
KANSAS CITY -- Raul Ibanez batted .294 in 2002 and followed that solid season by hitting .294 in 2003. How’s that for consistency?

Raul Ibanez / DH
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 200
Bats/Throws: L/R

More info:
Player page
Stats
Splits
Hit chart
Royals site

What you see is what you get with Ibanez. Give him 500-600 at-bats as an everyday left fielder and he has proven he’ll produce. Ibanez’s career has soared since Kansas City offered him the opportunity to be a regular, and the Royals can only hope the relationship lasts for years to come.

Because of Ibanez’s hitting credentials in the middle of the order, the Royals have put Ibanez at the top of their priority list among impending free agents they want to re-sign.

Ibanez, who made $3 million last season, has long indicated that he wants to stay with Kansas City and remain part of a community he has grown to love and with a ballclub that is coming off a dramatic turnaround season.

“I definitely hope we can get something done,” Ibanez said. “I love it here. I love playing for Tony Peña. I love this group of guys, and I believe the team is going in the right direction. We’ve got a tremendous amount of talent coming up.”

Ibanez, 31, is anxious to be part of a club that will try to take another bold step up the ladder of success in 2004. The positives of 2003 remain etched in his mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I love it here. I love playing for Tony Pena. I love this group of guys, and I believe the team is going in the right direction. We’ve got a tremendous amount of talent coming up."
-- Raul Ibanez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We overcame adversity so many times, as good teams do and as good teams should,” Ibanez said. “The fans were revitalized in this city, compared to the last two years I was here. People would come up to you on the street and thank you when we should have been thanking them for coming to the ballpark and supporting us the way they did.”

The Royals also got some late-season run production in left from Rondell White, who was acquired as a rent-a-player for the stretch drive. White, who made $5 million last year, is also an impending free agent. Whether or not the Royals make a run at him could hinge on whether Ibanez is re-signed. Ibanez also played right field and first base when White was in the lineup.

When assessing the left-field picture, the Royals will have the additional chore of deciding what to do with former first-round pick Dee Brown, who got just 132 at-bats last season and batted .227. Unless negotiations with one or both of the veteran free agents fizzle, there may not be much of an opportunity for Brown in 2004.

The key to solidifying the position revolves around working out an agreement with Ibanez. It’s not easy to find guys who will consistently hit above .290 with 20 homers and 90-100 runs batted in. The Royals have that asset with Ibanez and will try to make sure he’s still happily stationed in left field when Kansas City reports to Spring Training in February.

We either make ourselves happy or miserable.

The amount of work is the same.
Mad'sWife
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:06 am

Ibanez was nice - btw - what did the Royals get in return for him?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Kansas City Royals