Top pick in minor league draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top pick in minor league draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top pick in minor league draft

Postby ymiinjersey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:03 pm

I have the top pick in our dynasty league draft this year. I don't know if I should keep it and get Dice-K or swap picks and increase my depth. This is a 7 team 80 player dynasty league, standard 5x5 roto scoring. For position players we start 1 player/position (with 4 OF) and 1 IF and 1 UTIL. For pitchers 5 SP and 2 RP.

The trades I have been offered are:
1) Tulowitski and the 8th and 22nd overall picks for my top pick and the 42nd overall.

2) Thomas Diamond and the 2nd and 27th overall for my top pick and the 42nd overall.

3) Bobby Crosby and the 6th overall for my top pick

There was a 4th trade involving Francoeur, but I don't remember the details.

Minor league pickups are only allowed during the draft, so all players picked in the 2006 draft (Hochevar, Longoria, Miller, Kershaw, Lincecum, etc) are available as are many prospects that came to light during the 2006 season and foreign imports (Garza, Humberto Sanchez, Kemp, T.Wood, Gallardo, etc).

My current SS are: Lugo, Hardy, F.Lopez, Reid Brignac, Jose Martinez (2B?) and Tuiasosopo (probably will get cut)

At 3B I have: Rolen, Braun, Fields, Marte and Eric Campbell

I have several top pitching prospects and a few young major leaguers highlighted by: Lackey, John Patterson, Peavy, Chris Young, Duke, Ervin Santana, Zumaya, Maine, Hirsh, Patton, Carrillo, Gorzelanny, J.Sanchez, Bailey, Danks, Humber and Adam Miller...but as they say, there's no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I have the top pick because my team is very young and prospect laden, I'm probably still 2-3 years away from really competeting. Basically I need help deciding A) how good will Dice-K be and for how long (when will he get hurt/wear down) and B) How much better is he than the next 7 or 8 players available.

Please help.
ymiinjersey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dcskater619 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:39 pm

None of those trades will help you, you have 2 good major league SS already along with the best SS prospect (besides brandon wood) in Brignac.. I'd say keep the pick and take Dice-K, he'll be good for atleast 5 years..
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ymiinjersey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:06 pm

None of those trades will help you, you have 2 good major league SS already along with the best SS prospect (besides brandon wood) in Brignac.. I'd say keep the pick and take Dice-K, he'll be good for atleast 5 years..

Yeah, but say if I take the Diamond trade, i only move down 1 spot, can grab another top prospect and move up 15 spots as well.

How much better will Dice-K be than someone else, with less injury concern, say Garza, Lincecum, Miller or Sanchez?
ymiinjersey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:29 pm

ymiinjersey wrote:

Yeah, but say if I take the Diamond trade, i only move down 1 spot, can grab another top prospect and move up 15 spots as well.

How much better will Dice-K be than someone else, with less injury concern, say Garza, Lincecum, Miller or Sanchez?

I would move down to get Lincecum because I would rather have Lincecum than Matsuzaka. Nothing against Matsuzaka...I like him quite a bit as a pitcher. I just hate the AL East if you're in a 5x5 roto league - you're taking a hit in 3 categories to get a small bump in 1.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby bigken117 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:09 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I would move down to get Lincecum because I would rather have Lincecum than Matsuzaka. Nothing against Matsuzaka...I like him quite a bit as a pitcher. I just hate the AL East if you're in a 5x5 roto league - you're taking a hit in 3 categories to get a small bump in 1.

In fact, it's not impossible to think he wants to move up for Lincecum or Longoria, unless you already made your intentions known. :-b I also think you should take that trade.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Addendum

Postby ymiinjersey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:15 pm

Instead of Diamond I have my pick of:

Hansen, Snelling, Gavin Floyd, Pawalek, Juaqin Arias, Chris Nelson and Mark Rogers

Adding another level of complexity to this whole ordeal...who to choose from that list?
ymiinjersey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Addendum

Postby Koby Schellenger » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:15 am

ymiinjersey wrote:Instead of Diamond I have my pick of:

Hansen, Snelling, Gavin Floyd, Pawalek, Juaqin Arias, Chris Nelson and Mark Rogers

Adding another level of complexity to this whole ordeal...who to choose from that list?

I wouldn't consider Arias or Rogers. Arias has no postion and Rogers is a medical mess. Hansen has little value in 5x5 unless he can wrestle the closer position away from Foulke...doubtful. Floyd is not going to be a stud by any means and Nelson and Snelling are average at best.

Of the listed options, Pawalek would be my pick, but that's very, very reluctantly.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:34 pm

Koby Schellenger wrote: Hansen has little value in 5x5 unless he can wrestle the closer position away from Foulke...doubtful. .

Foulke signed with the Indians, so he is not going to be stopping Hansen from closing in Boston. ;-)
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:42 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Koby Schellenger wrote: Hansen has little value in 5x5 unless he can wrestle the closer position away from Foulke...doubtful. .

Foulke signed with the Indians, so he is not going to be stopping Hansen from closing in Boston. ;-)

Either way Hansen really hasn't looked ready yet. He's probably plan D for the Sox at this point though.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby ymiinjersey » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:46 pm

I managed to work a trade with another manager. His 6th overall pick, McCutchen and Bobby Crosby for my 1st overall.

I actually turned down Gordon for the pick straight up...I think I made the right decision...time will tell
ymiinjersey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball