J.J Putz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

J.J Putz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

J.J Putz

Postby krodisgreat » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:39 am

J.J. Putz cashed in on his breakout debut season as the Mariners closer, agreeing Wednesday to a $13.1 million, three-year contract. "J.J. Putz was one of the great stories of the 2006 baseball season," Seattle GM Bill Bavasi said. "He took over the closer's role and was simply dominant. When he was called on he really thrived in that ninth-inning pressure. It's a good feeling to know that J.J. is going to anchor our bullpen for the foreseeable future."

From CBS Sportsline
krodisgreat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:47 pm

He was a great middle reliever in 2005 when Guardado was the closer and had a great K rate, but nothing like his 2006 #'s. Some reviews believe that 2006 was his breakout year and that he might not be able to sustain this level of success and dominance. I agree partially with this because i dont know if he'll be able to strike out 104 in 78 innings again, a sick stat considering Nathan(arguably the best closer of 06) had an almost identical ratio(95 K's in 68 innings). Fantasy wise i believe he will have similar stats to Mariano with maybe less saves cause the Mariners blow.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Putz

Postby Rhydderch » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:50 pm

I remember reading, though I don't know where, the seattle pitching coaching attributing putz's success to a better breaking ball. I don't think last years #s were a fluke, though its hard to say he'll have as good a season. He's one of the top 5 closers though in my book (Nathan, Ryan, Rivera, Hoffman). Don't tell me I'm forgetting FROD or wagner, because I'm not.
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates