1B Nick Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

1B Nick Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1B Nick Johnson

Postby krodisgreat » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:38 am

For those interested in Johnson, here is the news story:

1B Nick Johnson had two screws removed from his right leg Tuesday in Sacramento, Calif., as part of what the Nationals said was a routine procedure to enhance healing. A metal rod and screws were inserted in the leg Sept. 23, the day Johnson broke it when he slammed into Kearns during a game against the Mets. He also had arthroscopic surgery to clean out scar tissue in his right knee in November, 1½ months after the on-field collision.

The Nationals have said Johnson is healing on schedule, although they're not sure exactly when he'll be able to play. In 2006, at age 27, Johnson set career highs with a .290 batting average, 46 doubles, 23 homers, 77 RBI, 110 walks and 147 games played. He isn't someone who relies on his legs, but his delayed return will cool his Draft Day value -- perhaps out of mixed leagues altogether. When healthy, Johnson's solid OPS bat would be a candidate for a .300-25-100-100 season.
krodisgreat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LukeW9027 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:13 pm

Yeah, its too bad he had to go down with that broken leg, I was really high on him this year. But, he may be a very valuable assetr for the second half of the season and a worthy late selection in upcoming drafts.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:24 pm

I read mid May
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sportsaddict » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:00 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I read mid May

Yeah I saw mid-May somewhere as well. I'd bet somewhere around May/June is when he will be back.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JoshExley » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:45 pm

I think this is a guy who can be nabbed for a low price (low round) and who will greatly help out your team down the stretch. His numbers were nice last year. Had it not been for that injury, I bet he would've been going pretty early this year, crap lineup or not.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Big Train » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:31 am

Citing Rick Wilton of The Baseball Injury Report, Roto Authority Fantasy Baseball mentions the following about Johnson:

"Johnson still has a limp and that the latest estimate has him missing the first 6-8 weeks of the season. Furthermore, Wilton thinks Johnson's history of being a slow healer could push it past two months.

So, I bumped Johnson down to 380 ABs in my projections. He no longer looks like a $12 player; it's down to $4 now. I have not seen anyone mentioning the possibility of Johnson missing two plus months in the regular media. While the 2006 breakout was impressive, Johnson will never be a consistent 500 AB guy."
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:32 am

It's coming along slowly _ baby steps right now," an upbeat Johnson said recently. "I'm just starting to walk. I won't be ready for spring training or the season opener, but I hope to be back before the All-Star break."
Johnson is undergoing a rigorous rehab program with physical therapist Greg Parry and doing his regular winter conditioning with Lee and others under ex-Kings strength coach Al Biancani.

"I have a lot of work to do to build up the strength in my leg, but I'm staying positive," Johnson said. "There's pain, but you learn to deal with it."

link
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby swyck » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:59 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
It's coming along slowly _ baby steps right now," an upbeat Johnson said recently. "I'm just starting to walk. I won't be ready for spring training or the season opener, but I hope to be back before the All-Star break."
Johnson is undergoing a rigorous rehab program with physical therapist Greg Parry and doing his regular winter conditioning with Lee and others under ex-Kings strength coach Al Biancani.

"I have a lot of work to do to build up the strength in my leg, but I'm staying positive," Johnson said. "There's pain, but you learn to deal with it."

link

Before the all-star break! Dang, I just picked him up in a deep draft. I was gonna stash him on IL until he comes back. I guess I will anyway, but I expect I'll need that slot before then.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Archduke Chocula » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:23 pm

Who is going to play 1B in the meantime?
Don't tase me, bro.
Archduke Chocula
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:47 pm

Archduke Chocula wrote:Who is going to play 1B in the meantime?
Travis Lee I think.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates