Hooking up a surround sound system... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Hooking up a surround sound system...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hooking up a surround sound system...

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:16 am

Anyone have any experience hooking up a Surround sound system to the 360?

I just bought one, and for some reason can't get it to work. I know this is a shot in the dark, but any tips?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hooking up a surround sound system...

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:39 am

pokerplaya wrote:Anyone have any experience hooking up a Surround sound system to the 360?

I just bought one, and for some reason can't get it to work. I know this is a shot in the dark, but any tips?

I'm by no means a surround sound expert but, what kind of system is it? A home stereo or computer stereo? Is it 5.1 or 6.1, or 7.1? Are you sure x-box supports that? (im sure it would). Are you connecting it with just the standard RCA plugs (red and white)?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:50 am

RynMan wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Anyone have any experience hooking up a Surround sound system to the 360?

I'm by no means a surround sound expert but, what kind of system is it? A home stereo or computer stereo? Is it 5.1 or 6.1, or 7.1? Are you sure x-box supports that? (im sure it would). Are you connecting it with just the standard RCA plugs (red and white)?

It's a 5.1 setup, and I know that the 360 supports it. I'm just thinking I need some kind of plug that I don't know about from the crappy directions. It's a Home Theatre in a Box type of deal, but from what I've read from reviews, it works like a dream with video games - that is if I ever get it to work. I am currently trying to connect it with just the regular plugs, but I am thinking that is where my problem lies, that I might need some other kind of cord that I am unaware of.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:14 am

pokerplaya wrote:
RynMan wrote:

It's a 5.1 setup, and I know that the 360 supports it. I'm just thinking I need some kind of plug that I don't know about from the crappy directions. It's a Home Theatre in a Box type of deal, but from what I've read from reviews, it works like a dream with video games - that is if I ever get it to work. I am currently trying to connect it with just the regular plugs, but I am thinking that is where my problem lies, that I might need some other kind of cord that I am unaware of.

What kind of output does the Xbox have? Just the regular red and white RCA cables?

When you say it isn't working, do you mean at all, or just not surround?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:01 pm

What brand and model is the system?

For the most part, you wil probably need a video game adapter cable in order for it to work. These adapter cables require you to plug one of the audio input cables (normally green) from your audio system and both RCA audio cables (red and white) from your XBox.

I know many of the PC 5.1 systems come with this adapter and work wonderfully as console sound systems - such as Logitech's X-530, which, by the way, is quite inexpensive.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:29 pm

It's only the surround sound that doesn't work, and I got that to work my seperate DVD player, so I know that it's something I'm doing or not doing and it's not broken.

The model is a Sony HT-DDW700. I bought it from Best Buy for about 175 bucks, and it got some pretty good reviews as a HTIB setup. From what I heard with the DVD's last night, it's not amazing, but it it will be more than adequate for my bedroom.

I tried to do some research, and I'm thinking I need some sort of optical cable (which I'd have to go pick up) but I'm not even sure of that. The directions do not mention gaming systems at all, so I'm really just going off the cuff here.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Only the L/R and Center channels work? If that is the case, it seems more like your XBox plays only through 2 channels and doesn't support fill surround. Many theater systems force 5.1 from 2 channel sound using different technologies like Logitech's Matrix Mode. It very well also could be a missing cable sold separately, but without me seeing both your system's inputs and the 360's (since I dont have one), I'm not sure. Good luck though!
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:26 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Only the L/R and Center channels work? If that is the case, it seems more like your XBox plays only through 2 channels and doesn't support fill surround. Many theater systems force 5.1 from 2 channel sound using different technologies like Logitech's Matrix Mode. It very well also could be a missing cable sold separately, but without me seeing both your system's inputs and the 360's (since I dont have one), I'm not sure. Good luck though!

I think it was just the fact that I was missing an optical cable which (naturally) was sold seperately and never mentioned. Just purchased it, so we shall see.

And I know that the X-Box 360 does support surround sound, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue.

I"ll keep y'all posted, since I'm sure you are all dying to know!
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:17 pm

So all I needed was that optical cord. WOrks, and it's fantastic. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:15 pm

pokerplaya wrote:So all I needed was that optical cord. WOrks, and it's fantastic. ;-D

Way to go!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Video Games