MLB Vs. NFL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB Vs. NFL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB Vs. NFL

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:46 am

There has been a lot of talk lately about MLB trying to have the same parity that the NFL has. I don't think can ever happen. A couple of reasons:

1. Players union - NFL union is weak and MLB union is the strongest in the country.

2. Season length - With 162 games the luck tends to even out not so with 17 games. Anyone can make the playoffs with a 17 game schedule.

3. Guaranteed contracts - Dumb contracts are given out every day. (Mike Hampton) If the player isn't performing he is gone.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:07 am

17 games? They play 16 games in 17 weeks. ;-)

Personally, football just doesn't match up to baseball to me. 16 games is not enough. They should play at least double, if not triple that number. Anything can happen over the course of 16 games. Just too short of a season for me.

The new rules that baby the players bug me as well. When I used to watch football, it was kill the man with the ball. Now they have so many rules that don't allow for that to happen. It's just lost some of the realism.

Now if you want to see fast gameplay, in rain, snow, fog, mud, etc., then I'm more than happy to watch. That is one thing you don't get with baseball. They play no matter what the weather conditions are and that's a big plus.

All in all, I've been paying some attention to the NFL this year, and will continue to do so. Baseball is just the way to go for me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:01 am

Madison wrote:17 games? They play 16 games in 17 weeks. ;-)

Bye weeks always get me. :-]
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Brokentusks9 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:26 pm

Madison wrote:They should play at least double, if not triple that number. Anything can happen over the course of 16 games. Just too short of a season for me.

OH MY! 8-o

The average career of a quarterback would be 2 years!

Patrick Ramsey may not even make it through one...
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ramble2 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:28 pm

Brokentusks9 wrote:
Madison wrote:They should play at least double, if not triple that number. Anything can happen over the course of 16 games. Just too short of a season for me.

OH MY! 8-o

LOL! NFL Rosters would have to be about two or three times as big so they could fill in for all the injuries!
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:29 pm

ramble2 wrote:
Brokentusks9 wrote:

OH MY! 8-o

LOL! NFL Rosters would have to be about two or three times as big so they could fill in for all the injuries!

I don't care what they do with the rosters 8-o . 16 games just isn't enough to determine the best. :-)

I thought football was the sport of men 8-o ? 16 games 8-o ? Come on guys, 2 games a week, for 20 weeks. Zero off weeks, 40 game schedule, and I'm happy. :-)

Lol. :*) I know I'll catch a lot of flack for this one. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:47 pm

Madison wrote:
ramble2 wrote:
Brokentusks9 wrote:

OH MY! 8-o

I don't care what they do with the rosters 8-o . 16 games just isn't enough to determine the best. :-)

I thought football was the sport of men 8-o ? 16 games 8-o ? Come on guys, 2 games a week, for 20 weeks. Zero off weeks, 40 game schedule, and I'm happy. :-)

Lol. :*) I know I'll catch a lot of flack for this one. :-D

no I hear ya ... Mad ... I am not a football fan either ...

Look at it this way ....... Baseball is still deciding it shampion and Football is half over allready. It seems like football just started a week or so ago .... 8-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby DK » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:09 pm

i agreed with wrveres. football is too short.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:45 pm

NO ONE can play two football games a week for 20 weeks! They could, but we'd have at least 30 deaths a year, and probably another couple hundred would have career ending injuries. Football doesn't play 16 games because it wants to, it has to. Even amazing athletes can't endure that much physical abuse. And football is a man's sport. Only men can play it. Baseball can be played by anyone, and, I believe, there is a women's baseball league. I've never heard of a women's football league, and for good reason. Most women don't have the muscle mass to handle the everyday beating.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers