Advice on league rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Advice on league rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice on league rules

Postby bpizle » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:26 pm

Hey guys new to the baseball cafe, been on the basketball though for quite some time though. I had a league last year but I am the commish this year and I am looking for advice on what to do.
Should I use all pitchers, or starting and relieving seperate.
Also, the maximum players, right now I have it at 23 active and 6 reserve. Just dont know about how many to start at each position. I have all the positions. If anyone could help out please do.

Please let me know asap.... Thanks
bpizle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:10 pm

Definitely have separate SP and RP spots, as to the roster size, it depends on how many teams are in the league and how deep you want the player pool to be. (ie for beginners maybe have smaller rosters so more players are available to be picked up during the season to forgive a not so good draft. The more experience you have in the league, many times it's better to have deeper rosters to make it more of a challenge.)
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby bpizle » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:29 pm

Well, there is pretty experienced users. And we are going to have 12 people in the league. Then what do say. Roster size? maximums at each position?
bpizle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mugrila » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:39 pm

Might want to ask the league, and see if you can find a consensus. My Keeper league uses:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, SP, SP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

You could sub OF for the individual posistions of course, but that's what I would use.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby bpizle » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:52 pm

Ok. Well how many of each position would you start. Or would you have the choice? I mean, like maybe 2 at one position or how does your league do? By the way mine is a H2H.
bpizle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:37 pm

A standard league is going to look like this:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P with 6-8 Bench players and a couple DL spots. Each spot that is not DL or Bench starts - so the only way you could start two 3B, is by having one in the 3B spot, and one in the Utility spot. This is the most standard format, and would probably be the best bet for a new league with not too experienced players.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby bpizle » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:57 pm

Ok thanks that helps alot. But one last thing, if that is the format, then how many would you say start or the maximum at each position could be. Should I say two at each position or just two at the pitchers and utility... Also, what should be the total number of players allowed for a whole roster?
bpizle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mugrila » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:18 pm

When written out like that there is one player per position listed; notice for SP and RP they are both listed twice meaning start 2 at those positions. Max roster size should be between 23 and 25 including all starters, bench, and dl players if you use the standard setup.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bpizle » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:42 pm

Ok here is what I cam out with...... This is in the starting lineup
MIN MAX
C 1 1
1b 1 1
2b 1 1
3b 1 1
ss 1 1
lf 1 1
cf 1 1
rf 1 1
dh 0 2
util 0 2
sp 2 2
rp 2 2
And this is with 6 reserve spots... TEll me if anything is off on minimum/maximum... I didnt put middle and corner infielders option in. Again my first year commishing baseball, I have been playing for a long time though. Commished every other sport, baseball is a little harder setup though.
bpizle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:48 pm

With your setup here, you will only be able to start 4 pitchers max versus 12 position players max. This will heavily weight hitters compared to pitchers. Because of this, I would probably follow the standard setup by adding three P slots - which are simply "pitcher" meaning either RPs or SPs can be used in that spot. If that isn't available, just add more RP or SP slots.

Also, you have DH and Util both listed, but they are virtually the same thing. DH and Utility are basically wild card spots, where you can play any offensive player, regardless of his position. Most leagues have just the Util, and have between 1 and 2 spots. Therefore, I'd be inclined to eliminate one of them.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner