Fantasy Keeper Question: Chamberlain or Villalona - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Fantasy Keeper Question: Chamberlain or Villalona

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Keeper Question: Chamberlain or Villalona

Postby jps715 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:23 pm

I'm in a 16 team auction based keeper league with minor league rosters of 25. I am consiering selecting Angel Villalona or Joba Chamberlain. My minor league team is very strong, but lacking a power 1B which Villalona could develop into. I don't need immediate help, but if Chamberlain projects to be a #1, it might be a better selection. Other options are Lars Anderson and Jeremy Hellickson.

I currently have pitchers: Adam Miller, Tim Lincecum, Chad Billinglsey, Rich Hill, Adam Ottavino

CI/OF Bats: Billy Butler, Nick Markakis, Cameron Maybin, Billy Rowell, Andy laRoche, Ian Stewart (OF)
jps715
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:05 pm

I'd go with Chamberlain, but that's mostly just because he's in the Yankees organization. If he makes it to the majors with them he should be a very good fantasy producer. Hard to say though which is the best at this point though... :-?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby nathan050904 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:39 pm

Even though Villalona is only 16-17 years old I think I'd take him. I have fallen in love with his potential. From everything I've heard. I think he's going to be very special. It's up to you though if you want to wait. I signed Villalona in my dynasty league.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:04 pm

nathan050904 wrote:Even though Villalona is only 16-17 years old I think I'd take him. I have fallen in love with his potential. From everything I've heard. I think he's going to be very special. It's up to you though if you want to wait. I signed Villalona in my dynasty league.

Agreed, the kid has monster potential. Although I think that of the players you mentioned Chamberlain is the closest to a sure thing since he had a great college career as well. Also, judging by your current list of prospects I would say your position player future is great in comparison to your pitching.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:19 pm

Tier 1 (top 70-85 prospect in the minors): Hellickson, Chamberlain

Tier 2 (top 100-125): Anderson

Tier 3 (top 135-160): Villalona

The choice is pretty easy for me here: Hellickson. He struck out 11.12 batters per nine and maintained a 0.91 WHIP in Low-A. If Hellickson had a bigger frame -- at 6-foot-1, 185-pounds, he's a smidgen bigger than Tim Hudson -- he'd easily be considered among the top 50 prospects in the game.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Koby Schellenger » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:44 pm

shortsavage wrote:Tier 1 (top 70-85 prospect in the minors): Hellickson, Chamberlain

The choice is pretty easy for me here: Hellickson. He struck out 11.12 batters per nine and maintained a 0.91 WHIP in Low-A. If Hellickson had a bigger frame -- at 6-foot-1, 185-pounds, he's a smidgen bigger than Tim Hudson -- he'd easily be considered among the top 50 prospects in the game.

I pretty much agree with the sentiment on Hellickson.

I would go with Hellickson or Chamberlain, and I tend to lean a bit toward Chamberlain as he should receive some benefit of pitching for the Yankees.

While Villalona has some potential to be a power hitter, he's so far off that you'd be better off going with Hellickson or Chamberlain.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jps715 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:02 pm

is Cedric Hunter even worth mentioning in this conversation?
jps715
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:45 pm

Koby Schellenger wrote:
shortsavage wrote:Tier 1 (top 70-85 prospect in the minors): Hellickson, Chamberlain

I pretty much agree with the sentiment on Hellickson.

I would go with Hellickson or Chamberlain, and I tend to lean a bit toward Chamberlain as he should receive some benefit of pitching for the Yankees.

While Villalona has some potential to be a power hitter, he's so far off that you'd be better off going with Hellickson or Chamberlain.

I couldn't agree more!!! ;-D

jps715 wrote:is Cedric Hunter even worth mentioning in this conversation?

Not really... The guy has a decent amount of potential as well, but I think that you're better off with Chamberlain or Hellickson.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:48 pm

That's actually a great comparison. Hellickson is just an inch taller. The amazing thing is Hellickson's BB/9 is a lot less, while his K/9 is the about the same at the same level as Hudson. 8-o
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TurdFerguson » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:55 pm

Is Choba Chamberlin likely to crack the top 50 soon?
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball