Ideas for H2H scoring - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Ideas for H2H scoring

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ideas for H2H scoring

Postby mrmommasboys » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Hello all......just looking to pick your brains out there and the different kind of leagues that you are in......I currently run two H2H points leagues and am looking to change things up a bit for next year. As of right now, we have unlimited pickups, first come first serve.....weekly lineup changes......so inevitably what happens is, guys are scrambling for the double start pitchers each week and streaming players....in fact, some guys are planning three weeks in advance, dropping and adding players immediately after the deadline, etc....I myself have done this quite successfully but am ready for a change.....so a few ideas I have thought of......

1. Limit number of pickups in a week or possibly in the entire year.....possibly increase roster size from 6 reserves to alot more.....then have only once a month or twice a month pickups.......

2. Limit number of starts per week....

3. Negative points for blown saves and losses....I think this may work well.......since saves and wins are 10 points.....it will make you think twice before starting just anyone when the chance of a blown save or loss is there.....

Anyway, looking for any ideas that have worked for you out there........just trying to shake things up a bit and not have the double start craziness that I know alot of you have used.....
mrmommasboys
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dmendro » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:37 pm

We had the same problem in our league last year. We're going to be doing 3 things to stop it.

1. We went with W as a category last year as opposed to W-L. We're going back to W-L for 2007.

2. We are talking about putting in a waiver order for pickups.

3. We're implementing a transaction fee. (easiest answer to the problem!!)
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FrankGore » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:39 pm

adding losses for pitchers is a great idea. We tried it in our league and it made people think twice before trotting just any SP out there. People complain that losses are luck, but so are wins.
FrankGore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:49 am

Making rosters bigger and even adding pitcher slots means people will be picking and holding more pitchers as well, taking away from the FA pool. This will reduce pickups. I would do this AND add some negative consequences to pitching cats (i.e.: losses as you mentioned).
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby whoson1st0 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:04 am

I am not a fan of waivers for pickups in baseball. In our point-based league (where players have no $ value) you can pick up a player whenever you want however there is a $2 add/drop fee associated with this. This limits crazy add/drops (for most teams at least) and increases the overall league pot at the end of the year.

As for blown saves and losses, we have blown saves = -4 pts and losses = -2 pts. Saves are +6 and Wins are +7.

We still have a problem with streaming pitchers though, and the winner of our league the last 2 yrs has done this. It's risky because he spends so much in transaction fees, but so far it has worked out. My guess is more people in our league are going to start doing this.

I am not for limiting the # starts per week, but I would like to know if anyone has tried a season cap of the # of transactions. [/i]
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby ukrneal » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:43 am

Limiting transactions is quite effective. I've done it in leagues and it just means you have to watch what you are doing. The other issue you need to tackle is playoffs. Some will try to leave all their transations to the very end (if H2H), and you may want to lock rosters during playoffs or something. One of my leagues does that and we all like it. The only exception is DL, where the commish will unlock so that a player can be picked up to replace an injured player.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Advice

Postby drmcmanus » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:00 am

The best way to do it is quite simple -5 for a loss -5 for a BS and only allow one sp pickup each week. Works like a gem it took me 6 years to get this right. Also another good idea is to make ip +3, HA -1 and everything balances out perfect!
drmcmanus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Ideas for H2H scoring

Postby Homer_Jay » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:59 pm

mrmommasboys wrote:Hello all......just looking to pick your brains out there and the different kind of leagues that you are in......I currently run two H2H points leagues and am looking to change things up a bit for next year. As of right now, we have unlimited pickups, first come first serve.....weekly lineup changes......so inevitably what happens is, guys are scrambling for the double start pitchers each week and streaming players....in fact, some guys are planning three weeks in advance, dropping and adding players immediately after the deadline, etc....I myself have done this quite successfully but am ready for a change.....so a few ideas I have thought of......

1. Limit number of pickups in a week or possibly in the entire year.....possibly increase roster size from 6 reserves to alot more.....then have only once a month or twice a month pickups.......

2. Limit number of starts per week....

3. Negative points for blown saves and losses....I think this may work well.......since saves and wins are 10 points.....it will make you think twice before starting just anyone when the chance of a blown save or loss is there.....

Anyway, looking for any ideas that have worked for you out there........just trying to shake things up a bit and not have the double start craziness that I know alot of you have used.....

In order to prevent constant drop/adds we simply made a limit on transactions. I belive we limited it to 30 or 35. Its definately enough to do some drops & adds (which I think is good) but it prevents some people from dropping and adding pitchers daily. It worked for us last year.
Go Cardinals
Homer_Jay
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ABA316 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:32 pm

Not to get off topic, but something I've always wondered.

The leagues that charge $1 or $2 for an add/drop..where does that money go to?
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LukeW9027 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:40 am

ABA316 wrote:Not to get off topic, but something I've always wondered.

The leagues that charge $1 or $2 for an add/drop..where does that money go to?

It goes to the League pot and distributed to the winners of the initial league prizes.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner