Revamping my leagues scoring system - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Revamping my leagues scoring system

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Revamping my leagues scoring system

Postby Mike_nyc » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:23 pm

I've made this post before and received some really good advice but im kind of hitting a wall.

We are switching to a points based h2h league this year and i'm trying to come up with a fun scoring system, that at the same time can somewhat mirror the projections provided in fantasy baseball magazines.

I've got the basic categories outlined but when i look at the rankings it just sync up the way i think it should. I could be under the wrong impression, maybe player rankings differ more in pts leagues from the standard h2h or roto.

For example, by penalizing strikeouts(-1pt) my rankings based on 06 stats had howard as the 10th rank batter, which doesnt fly for me. I could elminate this category but i wonder if im favoring the sluggers if so.

Secondly, I am unsure how to value sb's and handle cs . By not factoring in cs a guy like jimmy rollins was ranked 7 overall, while players such as arod fell into the mid twentys in terms of ranking.

Would appreciate any feedback, im basically trying to find an equilibrium that will most accurately portray players.
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukrneal » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:47 pm

Well, if you add in K's, several 'great' players do fall in value if they can't compensate in some other way. So when you say you added in K's, I would expect Howard's value to fall a bit. I'm not sure why you think 10th in last year's value is too low. He hurt his team with all the K's (I mean, he K'd like 30% of the time!!). You could tinker with the amount per K subtracted (say -0.75 per K), but I'm not really surprised his value takes a hit and I would say that his value is about where it should be.

With Rollins, you have something of an anomoly as he hit 25HR last year, not something I think we would expet him to repeat. So he's getting SB AND HR value, something only a few other elite players get at that level (20-20 or more). So I wouldn't get too concerned about that either. It tells you that a player who repeats that type of season will get lots of points, so that is actually a positive.

As to SB, I would include some sort of negative for CS. Since I don;t know the rest of your setup, hard for me to say what that should be. Many use -1 or -2 per CS.

Don't forget Arod had a bad year. I'm sure if you were to add 10HR and the stats that go along with it, he'd be nearer the top. So this again confirms to me that you have a pretty good setup already.

To sum up: Your concerns seem to confrim the success of your setup.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mike_nyc » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Appreciate the Input - I'm working on the assumption that Howard is going to be ranked somewhere in the 2-7 range in most draft. I guess it is kind of nitpicking and i will tinker with adjusting k's.

Additionally, are SP's typically valued higher in pts leagues?

The best closer from last year was ranked around 37 per my system which i think is a bit undervalued. I'm wondering if by changing it from a p slot to a breakdown of sp and rp on each roster it will create waht i want in terms of leveling it out.

As of now my wins are worth 8, losses -3, qs 3, hd 4 sv 6 bs -2 in addition to the bonuses and deductions or k's,ers,bb's,h's etc
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby whoson1st0 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:08 am

We used to have negative points for K's but everyone agreed it was no fun so we got rid of it. We added in -0.4 for every OUT a batter makes. This kept the batters on more of an even keel (without punishing the low contact power guys) while also not allowing their value to be higher than an equivalent pitcher.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby ukrneal » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:46 am

Mike_nyc wrote:Appreciate the Input - I'm working on the assumption that Howard is going to be ranked somewhere in the 2-7 range in most draft. I guess it is kind of nitpicking and i will tinker with adjusting k's.

Additionally, are SP's typically valued higher in pts leagues?

The best closer from last year was ranked around 37 per my system which i think is a bit undervalued. I'm wondering if by changing it from a p slot to a breakdown of sp and rp on each roster it will create waht i want in terms of leveling it out.

As of now my wins are worth 8, losses -3, qs 3, hd 4 sv 6 bs -2 in addition to the bonuses and deductions or k's,ers,bb's,h's etc

37th pitcher or 37th overall?
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mike_nyc » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:47 pm

37th amongst pitchers..which doesnt bode well considering last year wasnt a great year for sp's to begin with
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ukrneal » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:47 am

Mike_nyc wrote:37th amongst pitchers..which doesnt bode well considering last year wasnt a great year for sp's to begin with

Wow! That is seriously low. Under that system, it is clearly better to wait on RP as even the best are not going to do better than tier 3 (and even tier 4) type pitchers anyway! Personally, I would want to bost RP (or lower SP) so that there is at least SOME strategy in picking between the two. Currently, that just doesn't exist.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mike_nyc » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:31 pm

I am aware of that, my post is to obtain any ways to even this out.
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach

K's

Postby govtphish » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:01 pm

Our H2H league is in it's 4th year...we switched last year to -.5 instead of -1 for batter Ks...I think it helped out a lot.
govtphish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby lsommerer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:55 pm

Here's what we're using this year. It's not exactly what I would have picked by myself, but what our league finally agreed to. This league is 3 years old and we've been tweeking things as we go.

We go against the grain on pitching. We don't count wins or saves. rather we give points to innings pitched and take off points for hits/runs. There are lots of arguments for and against this, but the most compelling for us was the losing pitcher who pitches well and doesn't get the win points or the "losing" closer who pitches better than the bum who got the save, but sasn't in a save situation. Oh, and don't get me started on setup men...

Hitters:
Single 1pt
Double 2pts
Triple 3pts
Home Run 4pts
Base On Balls 1pt
Hit by Pitch 1pt
Runs Produced 1pt (R + RBI - HR)
Sacrifice 2pts
Stolen Base 3pts
Caught Stealing -1pts
Strikeout -1pt
Error -6pts
Fielding:
(Put Outs / 40) + (Infield Assists / 5) + (Double Plays Turned / 5) + (Outfield Assists * 5) + (Caught Stealing Catcher - Passed Ball)

Pitchers:
Inning Pitched (SP) 6pts
Inning Pitched (RP) 9pts
Strikeout 2pts
Pick Off 2pts
Intentional Walks 2pts
Wild Pitch -1pts
Walk Issued -2pts
Hit Allowed -2pts
Hit Batsmen -2pts
Earned Run -8pts
Inherited Run Scored -4pts