What do to about violating a Salary Cap - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What do to about violating a Salary Cap

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do to about violating a Salary Cap

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:10 am

What are some ways to punish a team who violates a salary cap in an auction league? During the season and during the draft?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:17 am

find their home and beat the soles of their feet with bamboo canes. kidding. I imagine you should be able to adjust your league settings to avoid this situation or contact a representative, from the site in which you play on, to see if they are able to reverse the pickup. just a couple of thoughts.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 68)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:24 pm

we were thinking about having the team go 0-10 in the H2H for the week that they went over the cap
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby fantasybeast27 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:32 pm

I am the other commish and any help would be much appreaciated because we would like to get a nice solid set of rules...

Thanks

FB27
fantasybeast27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:57 am

If there is a cap, how did he get above it? Usually the cap is there so that if he were to take a player that would put him over, he can't draft or pick that player (or trade for someone that would put him over without some other offsetting action). Since I don't know how the situation arose and how he got above the cap, hard to suggest something. My general approach would be to force whoever did it to either reverse the trade, drop the player (or players) or something like that. But if you give us more background, that might help.

For the future, your rules should state that a player that brings you over the cap (at draft or during the season, for example) cannot be acquired. So if you have $5 left for 2 players, and the bid for a player he wants goes to $5, he simply cannot get that player (since he needs at least $1 for the second player). End of story. That's the way it works.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Re: What do to about violating a Salary Cap

Postby fraquar » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:41 am

deerayfan072 wrote:What are some ways to punish a team who violates a salary cap in an auction league? During the season and during the draft?

During the draft is simple - the owner loses the player he violated the cap with his winning bid (that player goes to the next highest bidder since the owner can't legally keep him anyway) - and an arbitrary time penalty can be imposed where he cannot bid on any players (i.e putting him in the penalty box) - thereby possibly missing out on a player or two he might have wanted to bid on. It's each individual owners responsibility to keep up with their own financial situation during an auction - especially when multiple players are bid on at the same time - and large cap numbers are used (i.e 90 million, etc.).

It is very hard for a commissioner to keep a running real-time financial status as bids are being made - without the help of the rest of the league owners. He might catch one or two instances - but not every one where a bid actually puts an owner over the cap - even if it is completely by accident and 50,000 over budget. Auctions are fluid - and a player comes off the board whether the commissioner is at work, sleeping , taking a shower or whatever once the time limit for the bid expires.

During the season is a whole different situation. There really is no excuse why the commissioner cannot identify the situation that puts a player over the cap - and stop it before it happens - as all trades should be reviewed before going final - especially when their is a salary cap for this very reason - and all bids on players during the season are either blind bids or open bids on a select few players at a time - again subject to final approval by the commissioner.

I'll say this though - if an owner repeatedly makes trades or bids that would otherwise put them over the cap - then there is a pretty good chance that they are trying to slide one by unnoticed. In that case - the best punishment is to revoke their trade/bidding privliges (i.e like the auction example above - put them in the penalty box). It draw attention to them from the rest of the league owners - and that is usually enough to stop a recurrence.

Then again - if you really have to ponder stronger punishment than putting an owner in the penalty box - then he probably is a candidate for the boot.
fraquar
College Coach
College Coach

Re: What do to about violating a Salary Cap

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:51 am

fraquar wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:What are some ways to punish a team who violates a salary cap in an auction league? During the season and during the draft?

During the draft is simple - the owner loses the player he violated the cap with his winning bid (that player goes to the next highest bidder since the owner can't legally keep him anyway) - and an arbitrary time penalty can be imposed where he cannot bid on any players (i.e putting him in the penalty box) - thereby possibly missing out on a player or two he might have wanted to bid on. It's each individual owners responsibility to keep up with their own financial situation during an auction - especially when multiple players are bid on at the same time - and large cap numbers are used (i.e 90 million, etc.).

It is very hard for a commissioner to keep a running real-time financial status as bids are being made - without the help of the rest of the league owners. He might catch one or two instances - but not every one where a bid actually puts an owner over the cap - even if it is completely by accident and 50,000 over budget. Auctions are fluid - and a player comes off the board whether the commissioner is at work, sleeping , taking a shower or whatever once the time limit for the bid expires.

During the season is a whole different situation. There really is no excuse why the commissioner cannot identify the situation that puts a player over the cap - and stop it before it happens - as all trades should be reviewed before going final - especially when their is a salary cap for this very reason - and all bids on players during the season are either blind bids or open bids on a select few players at a time - again subject to final approval by the commissioner.

I'll say this though - if an owner repeatedly makes trades or bids that would otherwise put them over the cap - then there is a pretty good chance that they are trying to slide one by unnoticed. In that case - the best punishment is to revoke their trade/bidding privliges (i.e like the auction example above - put them in the penalty box). It draw attention to them from the rest of the league owners - and that is usually enough to stop a recurrence.

Then again - if you really have to ponder stronger punishment than putting an owner in the penalty box - then he probably is a candidate for the boot.

Thank you i like this alot ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Commissioner's Corner