Question about Keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Question about Keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question about Keepers

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:59 pm

In our league we you lose the round you draft a player if you decide to keep him. This is easy for this year, but what do we do next year? Has anyone done this and have an idea? I was figuring it wouldn't be fair to let someone have Howard forevr giving up only a 5th round pick,
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mak1277 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:45 pm

We do the same, but each year the picks are bumped up one round. So if you drafted Howard in the 5th in 2006, he would cost you a 4th in '07, a 3rd in '08, etc.

For a first round pick in '06, he would cost you a 1st and 11th rounder in '07.

If you go this route, the main issue that will confront you is what to do when players start bumping into the same round. For instance, if you keep your first and 2nd round picks in the following year..you'll need to determine how to handle that sort of thing
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:52 pm

I was thinking about using an expert mock draft as the gauge of where they would be drafted and using that. I would use the same mock every year. Thoughts on that idea?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mak1277 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:57 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I was thinking about using an expert mock draft as the gauge of where they would be drafted and using that. I would use the same mock every year. Thoughts on that idea?

Personally, I don't like that as much. If you are in a long-term league, I love the idea that you get a benefit for making a great pick (like Howard in the 5th round). It encourages scouting for talent late in the draft, but it also makes for more interesting trading. For example, if you know that Hanley Ramierez is only going to cost you a 20th round pick this year, he becomes a much more valuable trade commodity.

My other problem with using a mock is that you don't have any idea what the draft value of a player is until the offseason. That really monkeys with matching up value at the trade deadline.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:55 am

my rules for my keeper league starting this year is that at the end of the year every protected player is graded (you protect 10 in october and then designate 5 keepers the next March)

25 round draft (bastards are scared of auction!)
everyone is graded as class A,B,C,D,E with a corresponding number based on their draft position the last year and their performance ranking

as in A-1 would be a class A free agent 1 for highest level - like Albert pujols and you woudl lose 1st round pick

a d-3 free agent would be a round 18 pick lost

an e-5 would be the 25th round

players hare allowed to stay in their class for 3 years..as in if a player is a B level guy he can never move higher than 6th round or lower than 10th round until the contract is up or he is cut
traded players retain their grade

the performance ranking would be strictly based off of hwere they finish compared to other players at their position so theres no subjective grading

if there are some players in a grey area there will be a brief challenge period, or abritration, a week after the grades are handed out

and they would NOT change from october to march even in injuries owners would have to make a tough choice to either keep or cut and hope to get back

undrafted players would be graded as E's to reward those good season pickups

i mean where this is the 1st year they have agreed to do a keeper we shall have to see how it works but im a fan of it..im biased of course cause i designed it but feel free to see if this works or if anyone has any critiques or things they would change please share

the thread starter and I could surely use any input
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:41 pm

I wanted to Bump this back up to get some more feedback.

We are still discussin what rule we should institute. I like the idea of pushing the round ahead one, but what happens with someone who got Hanley last year as a FA and now has him with an exremely late rounder and will never come close to giving up an early pick for him
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:12 am

Anyone?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero