Return to General Talk

24 Season 6

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed May 23, 2007 11:20 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
HiddenIdentity wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
Pacman wrote:I just watched the finale on fox.com, (I was coaching my 10-year-old's little league game till 9:30 last night), and unless I missed something, I think there might have been a loophole left... tell me if I'm wrong:

Jack left his father to die (via airstrike) on the platform. His father HAD the circuit board on him, as the Chinese dude gave it to him when they detected the copter.

The Jack/Dad confrontation happened right near the boat Phillip was going to use to get away from the platform and meet up with the submarine.

My question: Couldn't Phillip have gotten on the boat (which has a homing beacon for the sub to find it (Chang told Philip that), gotten away from the platform, and still met up with the sub, and gotten away to China WITH the circuit board? Remember the White House detected the sub returning to China.

Something tells me Phillip is still in play, and could resurface next season or the season after.

If I missed something that makes any/all of the above impossible, please tell me.

Definitely possible.

i noticed the same thing. its possible they left it open like that on purpose, but since this season caught a lot of flak i dont think they will be re-using any of the plot lines.

But didnt they also show him lying there seconds before the missles hit?

Didn't Josh also shoot him right through the chest? The idea that he had survived crossed my mind as well, but I think it's a little too farfetched, even for 24.

It looked like the shoulder, something he could live with until he made it to the sub.

Even with Jack taking Chang into custody, he didn't really give the Chinese the kind of payback that they should be getting for torturing both him and Audrey. I wouldn't be surprised if Papa Bauer surfaces in China in a season or two, and Jack kicks the Great Wall down on top of him.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed May 30, 2007 12:23 pm

DISCLAIMER: I MAY HAVE THOUGHT WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT THIS.

The silent clock... have we stopped to think that it can signify more than just physical death? Notice that at the end Jack did something that he has never done before: question his service. In past seasons, Jack had never once asked for recognition or restitution, he was simply a man doing a job, answering the call of duty. But Jack now realizes two things. First, he realizes now that he serves an ungrateful nation. Despite Jack's rescue of Heller, Heller expended no energy to rescue Jack from his Chinese captivity. Second, he realizes that through his service he has lost his humanity. Jack has been engaged in a systematic internal battle since the beginning of the series: hero Jack has battled human Jack, duty to country has dueled with duty to family, friends, and all things that kept Jack human. Jack tells Heller "I want my life back, Audrey is all that I have left", Audrey is clearly Jacks connection to the world of emotion and feeling.

In the climactic moments of season 6, human Jack, the emotional center that has kept Jack sane, helped him deal with the betrayal and sorrow that has been heaped upon him year after year, did indeed pass away. To make matters worse, it happened by Jack's own hand. Heller tells him "Simply getting your life back wont change who you are, you can't walk away from it" and that Audrey would eventually pay for Jack's internal battle with her life. At that time, Jack realized (for the first time) that the balance between hero and human could not be maintained. In essence, Heller was right: Jack can't walk away from what he has become over the course of the series. Jack faces the ultimate Catch-22: to maintain his last connection to humanity he must protect Audrey, but to protect Audrey he must sever that final connection and stop trying to balance hero and human. Human Jack chooses to sever the connection to Audrey, and by doing so, ultimately ends its own existence.

Jack has chosen to remain the hero, but an essential component of what has made him who is he is has died. What shall become of our hero? The personal story is always what has driven Jack: he stove to save Terri, Kim, Heller, Audrey, and now Josh. Without that, what is left? Can man survive without a human side? Only time will tell...

This is essentially why I think the series would make a statement if it continued or ended. If it ended (which might have been a good idea, not because the story is going down the toilet, but because the story has come to a logical end) we would have seen the full cycle of Jack's transformation from man to machine, which would demonstrate the full weight of the burden that the nation has put on him. If it continues, we will see what becomes of a man who has lost too much. It will be interesting to see where they take this.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 37)

Re: 24 Season 6

Postby Pacman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:02 pm

Female President next season:

'24' to Have Female President in Upcoming Season
Sunday , July 22, 2007

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. —

The United States will have a female president next year — on the Fox TV series "24."

Tony Award-winning actress Cherry Jones will play President Allison Taylor when the show about the exploits of counterterrorism agent Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) returns in January for its seventh season, the network announced Sunday.

Jones' term will coincide with Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential bid, but Fox Entertainment Chairman Peter Liguori said fiction and real-world politics will not intersect.

"It's a dramatic decision. ... The president is a very important piece of '24," Liguori told The Associated Press. "We've had a broad array of presidents on the show; why not a female president?"

The series has been an Oval Office groundbreaker before, with Dennis Haysbert playing President Palmer, the nation's first black president.

Asked whether Fox would scrutinize scripts for potential election-year political content, Liguori said that, as with any show, "24" will be looked at "from a dramaturgical perspective, not a political perspective."

Series co-creators Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran and fellow executive producer Howard Gordon have always kept real-life politics from the show, he said.

"'24' took place in an election year in the past," Liguori said. "How you see Joel, Bob and Howard articulate drama is telling on how they deal with politics. The two are separated."

----

Kinda interesting.... :-?
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:21 pm

As long as she knows that Jack is the man, I have no problem with it. She will be the 5th different President to go along with 2 Vice Presidents that had some control as well that we know about during 24.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pacman » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:14 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:As long as she knows that Jack is the man, I have no problem with it. She will be the 5th different President to go along with 2 Vice Presidents that had some control as well that we know about during 24.

And the odds are pretty good that at some point, she'll get on the phone and personally negotiate with known terrorists... as every other president has on the show...
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to General Talk