who is philip hughes??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

who is philip hughes???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

who is philip hughes???

Postby dougbies » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:17 am

I have read so much about how great this prospect is. I was wondering if anyone has had more info on him.

What types of pitches does he posess?
When do you expect him to pitch in MLB?
Is he a strikeout/groundball/flyball/location type of guy?
dougbies
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:59 am

SP, NYY, highly touted pitcher in the Yanks farm system that they actually didn't give up for someone who's 38!
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Denmarch » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:01 am

First of all, nice avatar.

Hughes will get a long look during spring training, but I really don't think he'll start the season on the major league roster, although I think the Rand Johnson trade has helped his cause. The Yankees brass want him to get some more real development as a starting pitcher. Here's my prediction:

2007--will NOT come up early in the season after Igawa gets shelled in several outings and gets moved to the pen (someone from the pen will replace Igawa and do reasonably well). WILL join the team in early summer when Mussina's aging arm sends him to the DL. Just a cup o' coffee for a few weeks, then he rejoins the team again as a reliever/spot starter in September.
2008--Has permanent spot in rotation.

He has a low-mid 90s fastball with good movement, a very good curve, a slider with great late movement, and a changeup that is okay but needs some more work.
Denmarch
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:36 pm

Widely considered one of the best 2 or 3 SP prospects in baseball, and one of the top 5 prospects regardless of position. Sickels gives him an A (one of 5 As), Project Prospect has him 3rd overall, Top Prospect 4th, MiLB 4th, Baseball Digest 2nd.

6'5", 220, DOB: 6/24/86. Some absolutely sick numbers in AA: 2.25 ERA 0.91 WHIP in 116 IP, 10.7 K/9, 2.5 BB/9.

I agree with this:

Denmarch wrote:2007--will NOT come up early in the season after Igawa gets shelled in several outings and gets moved to the pen (someone from the pen will replace Igawa and do reasonably well). WILL join the team in early summer ..edit.. Just a cup o' coffee for a few weeks, then he rejoins the team again as a reliever/spot starter in September.
2008--Has permanent spot in rotation.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nathan050904 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:24 pm

All I can say is I own him in my league and there is no way I am trading him. I put his talent on the same level as the likes of Matt Cain. He is just a good all around pitcher. I think he's fairly similar to Adam Miller another highly touted pitching prospect. I like him alot. I signed him as a free agent before the 2006 season because, of the reports on him. He had a coming out year this year and is highly touted as a top 3 or more likely a top 2 pitching prospect.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sLim » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:06 pm

one of the best pitching prospects left in the minors now that everyone got called up this past year...i think at latest he will get a sept callup this year...if not earlier...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby nathan050904 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Personally, I think 2007 we could have more minor league pitchers come up and make an impact then we did in 2006. Theres so much depth in pitching prospects and alot of them are very close to the majors.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:33 pm

Personally I think he is Mark Prior like before his injuries but with much more control.

He has never had a WHIP above .90 in his life
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:23 pm

nathan050904 wrote:Personally, I think 2007 we could have more minor league pitchers come up and make an impact then we did in 2006. Theres so much depth in pitching prospects and alot of them are very close to the majors.

I don't really see this happening.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby High Heater » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:51 pm

i doubt he did what Verlander did for Detroit but he can come somewhat close to that.

he ranks close to the big 3 we had last year but still kinda behind in terms of potential imo.

Chad Billingsley( the real one in the 2nd half not the 1st half starts Chad) is the type of pitcher i would compare him to.

one thing i am concerned is how well he'll embrase the heat of NY. he's right there with Homer Bailey in the minors tho and i'd prolly take him over Homer as my top pitching prospect as of now.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball