Decision for Schmidt? Surgery? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to San Francisco Giants

Decision for Schmidt? Surgery?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Decision for Schmidt? Surgery?

Postby Mad'sWife » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:15 am

I thought this might be helpful news looking forward to next years draft.

10/15/2003 1:25 PM ET
Decision looming for Schmidt
Second MRI confirms partially torn tendon in right arm
By Rich Draper / MLB.com WorldSeries.com

Jason Schmidt battled his injury over the final two months of the season. (Ben Margot/AP)

SAN FRANCISCO -- Giants trainer Stan Conte reported Tuesday that a decision on whether pitcher Jason Schmidt will have surgery to repair a partially torn tendon in his right arm will be made by this weekend.
A magnetic resonance imaging test last week confirmed the diagnosis following an MRI in early August which disclosed the problem.

"Jason is still getting options, and we should have something by the end of the week whether we'll opt to do the surgery and who is doing it," said Conte. "We're still getting multiple opinions."

The Giants thought Schmidt's condition would worsen if he continued to pitch in August and September, but the Cy Young candidate toughed it out, although he was handicapped because of the injury.

"He could still throw 98 mph and harder with the tendon like that," said San Francisco trainer Barney Nugent, who retired at the end of the season. "I wouldn't say it was foolish of him to pitch. Brave might be the word. He showed great intestinal fortitude."

Jason Schmidt / P
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 220
Bats/Throws: R/R

More info:
Player page
Stats
Splits
Giants site

Nugent is still upset that some members of the media got on the Giants about the injury, supposedly only "tendinitis" and kept under wraps until Game 4 of the National League Division Series against the Florida Marlins.

"We were bad-mouthed and called wishy-washy," said the trainer. "But we couldn't say anything about the injury. We can't give the competition any ray of hope. He was always one pitch away from not being able to compete.

"What he did was amazing those last two months," said Nugent of the veteran hurler, who finished 17-5 with a 2.34 ERA. "He was going to throw as hard as he could and in a sense was saying, 'to heck with it, I'll go until I blow.' There were several pitches he just couldn't throw."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I wouldn't say it was foolish of (Jason Schmidt) to pitch. Brave might be the word. He showed great intestinal fortitude."
-- Barney Nugent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conte gave Nugent credit for keeping the pitcher in good shape and good spirits in spite of the tendon.

"They'd work sometimes three hours before the game every fifth day," said Conte. "He had a routine with Jason which was critical."

Nugent said he'd also work on different modalities with Schmidt, strengthening various muscles between starts and have heart-to-heart talks as well.

"Sometimes it was psychological babble from me, but Schmitty knew I was doing it to help his confidence."

Colletti update: Giants vice president and assistant general manager Ned Colletti has been told by the Cincinnati Reds he is no longer a candidate to become that team's new GM.

Colletti has served with the Giants for nine seasons and was among eight original candidates for the Reds post.

Mad'sWife
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:08 am

Schmidt should have the surgery, and I expect him to.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:06 pm

it should back him up, but not by much. he was still amazing this season.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to San Francisco Giants