Let's settle it right here---F-Mart V. Tabata - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Let's settle it right here---F-Mart V. Tabata

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's settle it right here---F-Mart V. Tabata

Postby sagecoll » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:43 am

Personally I gotta go with F-Mart

Both have done well in Sally, however, F-Mart has 80 points on Jose in both Slug and OBP. Age is even, I'm not too familiar with Jose's fielding skills. But I haven't heard anyone rave so I'll say they're even to Martinez's. But as far as who will play eventually, I'm leaning towards Tabata. He's already the best bat in the organization with no one in front. And should play if he isn't traded. F-Mart is already being position switched to be able to go through the minors- Nice little contrast there. It's too much of a toss up for me to be that strong on F-mart, thoughts?
sagecoll
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 77
Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Let's settle it right here---F-Mart V. Tabata

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:44 pm

sagecoll wrote:Personally I gotta go with F-Mart

Both have done well in Sally, however, F-Mart has 80 points on Jose in both Slug and OBP. Age is even, I'm not too familiar with Jose's fielding skills. But I haven't heard anyone rave so I'll say they're even to Martinez's. But as far as who will play eventually, I'm leaning towards Tabata. He's already the best bat in the organization with no one in front. And should play if he isn't traded. F-Mart is already being position switched to be able to go through the minors- Nice little contrast there. It's too much of a toss up for me to be that strong on F-mart, thoughts?
I assume that doesn't include Martinez's stint at High A where he proved he probably needed a bit more time in A ball. Also, Tabata got hit on his thumb midseason (or so), didn't go on the DL, struggled, went on the DL, came back, reinjured the thumb, struggled again, and ultimately got shut down for the year as a precaution, so you can't really compare their numbers at face value.
At the time of the futures game (which I believe is where he got hit during BP or something), Tabata's line was at .321/.395/.454.
I'm not really making a case for either one, but saying that Tabata's late season dropoff shouldn't be held too heavily against him. At this point they are basically a tossup. They are both mega talented teenagers (even younger than Upton, Maybin, and Bruce) with a ways to go before the majors.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1664
Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Let's settle it right here---F-Mart V. Tabata

Postby sagecoll » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:10 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:
sagecoll wrote:Personally I gotta go with F-Mart

Both have done well in Sally, however, F-Mart has 80 points on Jose in both Slug and OBP. Age is even, I'm not too familiar with Jose's fielding skills. But I haven't heard anyone rave so I'll say they're even to Martinez's. But as far as who will play eventually, I'm leaning towards Tabata. He's already the best bat in the organization with no one in front. And should play if he isn't traded. F-Mart is already being position switched to be able to go through the minors- Nice little contrast there. It's too much of a toss up for me to be that strong on F-mart, thoughts?
I assume that doesn't include Martinez's stint at High A where he proved he probably needed a bit more time in A ball. Also, Tabata got hit on his thumb midseason (or so), didn't go on the DL, struggled, went on the DL, came back, reinjured the thumb, struggled again, and ultimately got shut down for the year as a precaution, so you can't really compare their numbers at face value.
At the time of the futures game (which I believe is where he got hit during BP or something), Tabata's line was at .321/.395/.454.
I'm not really making a case for either one, but saying that Tabata's late season dropoff shouldn't be held too heavily against him. At this point they are basically a tossup. They are both mega talented teenagers (even younger than Upton, Maybin, and Bruce) with a ways to go before the majors.


No I did not include F-Mart's high A stint because he spent the majority of his time in Hagerstown and only had 20 pa's or so in high A, and the stat comparison is best when they play in the same league. I'm aware of Tabata's injury. However, F-Mart broke his thumb this year and was out for a while towards the end of the year. So I don't know how much of a handicap you could give Jose
sagecoll
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 77
Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Let's settle it right here---F-Mart V. Tabata

Postby rmande09 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:17 pm

sagecoll wrote:No I did not include F-Mart's high A stint because he spent the majority of his time in Hagerstown and only had 20 pa's or so in high A, and the stat comparison is best when they play in the same league. I'm aware of Tabata's injury. However, F-Mart broke his thumb this year and was out for a while towards the end of the year. So I don't know how much of a handicap you could give Jose


But F-Mart did not play with the broken thumb, Tabata did play with his injured thumb and you could certainly tell by his performance.

Comparing stats of two 17-year olds is stupid, it really will not get you anywhere. Both have great tools and great upside, and both have performed nearly identically. Sagecoll, it seems like you are just taking the numbers and facts that make your argument strong and ignoring everything else, which really is not fair. You cannot ignore Tabata's injury sapping his numbers, and you cannot ignore F-Mart's 120 PA's in High A, not 20.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 972
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Let's settle it right here---F-Mart V. Tabata

Postby sagecoll » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:43 pm

rmande09 wrote:
sagecoll wrote:No I did not include F-Mart's high A stint because he spent the majority of his time in Hagerstown and only had 20 pa's or so in high A, and the stat comparison is best when they play in the same league. I'm aware of Tabata's injury. However, F-Mart broke his thumb this year and was out for a while towards the end of the year. So I don't know how much of a handicap you could give Jose


But F-Mart did not play with the broken thumb, Tabata did play with his injured thumb and you could certainly tell by his performance.

Comparing stats of two 17-year olds is stupid, it really will not get you anywhere. Both have great tools and great upside, and both have performed nearly identically. Sagecoll, it seems like you are just taking the numbers and facts that make your argument strong and ignoring everything else, which really is not fair. You cannot ignore Tabata's injury sapping his numbers, and you cannot ignore F-Mart's 120 PA's in High A, not 20.


Ya I know but hey I'm a met fan, it's what we do
sagecoll
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 77
Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Aug. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at Miami
(12:40 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
NY Mets at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Houston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact