Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:32 pm

wkelly91 wrote:Speaking of Cardinals...will Duncan play every day? What numbers you have for him this year?

I want to hope he'll be good enough to play everyday, but I think he'll probably start off against righties only with occasional games against lefties to see how he handles it.

Assuming nothing crazy happens to him out in the field, I think reasonably optimistic projections for him would be a .280 BA, a .350 OBP, and 20 HR over the course of the season. Batting in front of Pujols, I think that's entirely possible. Batting elsewhere, that's a horse of a different color.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:48 pm

So no break-out season

:~(
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:55 pm

wkelly91 wrote:So no break-out season

:~(

It's possible, but I'm skeptical. I don't think he was thoroughly scouted, and his minors numbers don't support anything big in the majors. He had some good thing happen by the end of the season. He settled in with an ISO and BA around .300, and he was walking more and more each day. Unfortunately, he started striking out more, too. In fact, by the end of the season, his approach at the plate really started to remind me of Edmonds' approach. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Anyways, he'll probably be batting second, so don't count on a lot of RBI opportunities for him. Give him a tick up in the Run cat, though, with Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds batting behind him. I'd be happy with him on my team in a league that counted OBP.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:29 pm

The consistent argument against H2H seems to be a lower seeded team winning just because they got hot at playoff time. Easy solution, go H2H with no playoffs. You get to smack-talk and play a different guy each week and the winner is the guy with the best overall record at the end, presumably awarding the title to the best overall team for the entire season.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sLim » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:48 pm

leagues with my friends...we always play h2h...especially for $...so we can talk trash to each other...about who owned who and who got lucky...of course luck is a factor in h2h...but isnt a bit of luck a factor in all sports?
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: ...

Postby fraquar » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:47 am

Jackie Treehorn wrote:The consistent argument against H2H seems to be a lower seeded team winning just because they got hot at playoff time. Easy solution, go H2H with no playoffs. You get to smack-talk and play a different guy each week and the winner is the guy with the best overall record at the end, presumably awarding the title to the best overall team for the entire season.

Agree wholeheartedly. In fact ANY playoff system will inevitably have the possiblility of lower seeded teams "stealing" the title. Thats what makes having a playoff exciting - otherwise it would just be the equivalent of another 3 weeks for the best team to take a defacto victory lap - with crown already in hand.

Don't want to "risk" losing in the playoffs - don't have them.

Added: In my football league the top team lost two games all year - BOTH to the eventual league champion - who happened to be lowest seed in the playoffs. Wasn't like he got beaten by someone who shouldn't have been there - because all he had to do was beat him in the regular season and that team never makes the playoffs to begin with. It's why Head-to-Head is called Head-to-Head in the first place. In my baseball league it came down to myself (#2 seed) and the #1 seed (who overtook me in the standings on the final week of the regular season). He won the best regular season record - I won the title 4 weeks later (2 week final) - with the eventual difference being 2 stolen bases on the final day of the playoffs.
fraquar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dmbjeff » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:21 pm

sLim wrote:leagues with my friends...we always play h2h...especially for $...so we can talk trash to each other...about who owned who and who got lucky...of course luck is a factor in h2h...but isnt a bit of luck a factor in all sports?

Isn't baseball one of the luckiest sports out there too? i mean in a regular season, even the worst teams still win 60 games and even the best teams still lose 60.

as for the luck in the playoffs thing, it happens. not every year the best team in the regular season wins, its the team who wins the tournament at the end. I am in a 18 team league with 8 playoff spots. its nice knowing that well over half the league is battling all season for a spot. only about 6-8 teams were mathmatically eliminated by the last week this past year.

where my 18 team roto league half the league is done by the ASB and by september only a handful of teams continue to care.
dmbjeff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby whoson1st0 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:54 am

Not sure if this was mentioned yet since I didn't read every reply in this post, by why not combine roto and h2h (we do this in our league).

25% of the final pot goes to the h2h world series winner.
75% is divided among 1st - 3rd place in roto.

While the true "winner" is still the roto winner in everyone's eyes, the WS winner still gets a nice chunk a change and keeps more teams in the race at the end of the year.

Way too much luck involved to rely only on h2h for the entire year IMO.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 44)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner